Give Heroin to Friend; Friends Dies; You do 6 Years

Chris0nllyn

He is going to jail for heroin distribution. That's what he's going to jail for.

It's a BS trumped up charge.

If they want to go after the kid for giving the deceased drugs, then treat him like every other low level drug possessor. It's a stretch and a half to claim he was "distributing", especially considering the article clearly states:
On October 11, 2012, the individual contacted Schellhase by text message and Schellhase agreed to give the individual some heroin that Schellhase had recently purchased. During the early evening, Schellhase drove to a residence in Callaway, Maryland. The individual came out of the house and Schellhase gave the individual a small amount of heroin and two cigarettes. The individual went back into the house, went into the bathroom and ingested the heroin

Nothing in the story even leads me to believe the guy bought the heroin. Nothing in the story leads me to believe the guy sold, or "distributed", heroin to anyone else.

tom88

It's a BS trumped up charge.

If they want to go after the kid for giving the deceased drugs, then treat him like every other low level drug possessor. It's a stretch and a half to claim he was "distributing", especially considering the article clearly states:

Nothing in the story even leads me to believe the guy bought the heroin. Nothing in the story leads me to believe the guy sold, or "distributed", heroin to anyone else.

Then you don't know the definition of distribute. We will have to agree to disagree. I'm happy the guy is in jail. You wish he weren't. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm just happy there is nothing you can do about it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Addicts / drug users don't typically use alone, they share. This is why when there is a vehicle stop or house raided, all the parties therein are charged with illegal possession of CDS and paraphernalia.
This is basically a new way to sentence and addict to prison, this guy is going to do time in what we like to call an ass pounding federal penitentiary.
To make room for the addict the feds will probably have to release a real criminal.

tom88

Addicts / drug users don't typically use alone, they share. This is why when there is a vehicle stop or house raided, all the parties therein are charged with illegal possession of CDS and paraphernalia.

While I am sure there is an example of this you can find, as a general rule this is just not true.

This is basically a new way to sentence and addict to prison, this guy is going to do time in what we like to call an ass pounding federal penitentiary.
To make room for the addict the feds will probably have to release a real criminal.

He will be going to a minimum security facility and nobody will be released to make room. It's nice to get all hyped up, but your facts are just not correct.

somdwatch

What should happen to a person who facilitates another persons death? What is the difference between a drunk who drives and kills someone and a person who provides heroin to another who dies? Both knew that their actions could result in another persons death. Ask any heroin addict and they will tell you they want to stop because they have seen too many of their friends die.
Where is the personal accountability for ones actions?

Or for that matter a government who still allows cigarettes to be sold after supposedly being so deadly.

luvmygdaughters

I think the sentence is fair, I also hope it may serve as a deterrent for anyone who may be "persuaded" to give a friend, colleague, etc. any drugs. Too many young people dying from heroin addiction and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

BigBlue

How about the liquor store?

If they sell to a person who is drunk ,yes !Better question is what about bars and restaurants they are held to a different standard ,if a patron is drunk and they let him leave they or the bartender could be held responsible .

wubbles

This argument is so ridiculous. The user is to blame in his own death. How come the concept of personal responsibility is being completely thrown out in this topic?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Did the grocery store cause you diabetes? How about the liquor store? Are you in AA meetings because of them?

the same with suing weapons manufactures ..... Colt is no more responsible for mass murder than Ford is for a drunk driver

BigBlue

And every law is gospel.

Somd.com isn't a courtroom. The person to blame is the person that administered the drug; the user.

Would he have done it had the illegal drug not been there ?Who knows but he was an accomplice so he must pay the price.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think the sentence is fair, I also hope it may serve as a deterrent for anyone who may be "persuaded" to give a friend, colleague, etc. any drugs. Too many young people dying from heroin addiction and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

He's an addict, addicts/alcoholics don't think beyond their next fix. He'll come out of jail an addict, he'll be clean, but his brain will still be that of an addict, it's more than drugs or alcohol, people use prescription pain killers and alcohol all the time and don't get hooked. But there are others who do, there are underlying psychological issues that and instead of seeking treatment for those, they end up self medicating.

BernieP

Resident PIA
He will be going to a minimum security facility and nobody will be released to make room. It's nice to get all hyped up, but your facts are just not correct.

If he's going to jail for distribution, and he's a repeat offender, he's not going to a minimum security federal facility.

tom88

If he's going to jail for distribution, and he's a repeat offender, he's not going to a minimum security federal facility.

What do you think should happen to a person who has multiple offenses for distributing drugs?