Gonna be EXCITING, V3!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hey @vraiblonde and @Monello. What's the weather like in SPI this morning? Hoping to see a rocket launch today.

Dense fog, not expected to clear up any time soon.

That's the problem with having your launch facility at Boca Chica: the weather is quite whimsical and there's no forecasting it with any reliability.

glhs837

Power with Control
Stay frosty, my little friend....... This is test tank, SN7.2. It's predecessor, 7.1, was used soley for pressure test to validate a new tank design. It popped a "small" leak under pressure, which was welded and testing resumed and passed. But it was only tested to the pressures needed for the next stage, the SN8 and SN 9 hop/flip/fall/flip/land. This new test tank is different in that it's believed to be the first hardware made of the custom alloy developed for Starship, and is 3mm thick, while the others were 4mm thick. The other units were made with 304L,, while whatever this new alloy is designated, nobody's said yet. This tank is most likely going to go through tougher testing, higher pressures and for longer periods.

Related notes:
  1. Whatever the final alloy is, that is what the Cyber Truck will be made of.
  2. A maor steel producer has recently annouced plans to build a major new facility near Austin Texas to supply both Tesla and SpaceX with that alloy in bulk.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
So if I read that right, they use two different fuel mixes for takeoff and landing?

Not mixes, but sources. When falling horizontal, the fuel in the main tanks is laying on the bottom, which would be the side normally. That means it can't feed through the lines in the bottom of the tank. So they have a smaller "header" tank for wack kind of fuel that's kept pressurized just for landing.

glhs837

Power with Control
So if I read that right, they use two different fuel mixes for takeoff and landing?

Ah, here's the fan made animation that shows it.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Flight of SN9 scrubbed today because they didn't have approval from the FAA??? Weather looks great.