Gonna be EXCITING, V3!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
This shows SN10s slow walk. The guy controlling that Roll-Lift is walking behind it with a hand held controller. Also love that moving a rocket is a job for maybe 6-8 people, a COTS piece of MHE and a $5000 dollar stand for the rocket. Guessing the price of the stand, it's basically welded steel sqaure tube, figure 5-8 of those and design and welding manpower.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How windy?

Pretty windy. 15-20mph with gusts higher than that. Several clicks above breezy, but not "OMG what the hell???"

This is not unusual for south Texas in the winter, so if SpaceX can't launch in wind they picked the wrong place to set up shop.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I read that Falcon-9 weather abort criteria for winds is sustained 30 knots or higher at 162 ft at the launchpad or upper level conditions containing wind shear that could lead to control problems for the launch vehicle.

So a little wind isn't a problem.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I read that Falcon-9 weather abort criteria for winds is sustained 30 knots or higher at 162 ft at the launchpad or upper level conditions containing wind shear that could lead to control problems for the launch vehicle.

I've not heard what the Starship criteria is. I would expect that they'd have designed it to be able to land in some wind.

glhs837

Power with Control

I've not heard what the Starship criteria is. I would expect that they'd have designed it to be able to land in some wind.

The thing is, during these early tests, variable reduction matters a lot. Still validating the flip and fall algorithms, I imagine. Was that overcorrection caused by bad math or high wind? Less about can the vehicle handle it and more about lets walk before we run.

stgislander

PREMO Member
NasaSpaceflight.com is reporting that the FAA gave SpaceX approval late yesterday to launch SN9.

Hey @vraiblonde ... what's the weather forecast today?

glhs837

Power with Control

Grumpy

Just read on one of live launch threads that 'blockcades of roads' in the area were removed..Does that mean it was scrubbed?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I just finished walking the dog. Quite a good sized crowd out hoping to catch the launch.