Got Bit By a Copperhead A couple days ago...

S

shiki

I went back in and had them check me and give me all the information that I should have gotten in the first place.

But snake bite...the adrenaline, poison, etc. makes you start feeling weird in the first place, then they start dosing you up with morphine and when that didn't help dilaudid, and benadryl and antivenin and steroids and blood thinner...It's very strange all around. :coffee:

My friend was being prepped for surgery last I spoke to her and she's scared they're gonna start slicing bits away :(

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I went back in and had them check me and give me all the information that I should have gotten in the first place.

But snake bite...the adrenaline, poison, etc. makes you start feeling weird in the first place, then they start dosing you up with morphine and when that didn't help dilaudid, and benadryl and antivenin and steroids and blood thinner...It's very strange all around. :coffee:

My friend was being prepped for surgery last I spoke to her and she's scared they're gonna start slicing bits away :(

I'm so sorry about your friend. Imagine if she didn't go, how horrible!

bcp

In My Opinion
your friend got the worse of it because she got bit first.
the snake can store about 100mg. the average bite is 60 ~ 70 mg. it takes time to build the venom back up. it is done basically in the same way that a skunk makes its stink. if the snake didnt eat and digest between bites, that would have left you with a bite somewhere in the 30 ~ 40 mg range.
basically, she would have received almost twice the venom that you did.

hope this helps you understand the difference in your and her symptoms.

Im hoping and praying for the best for her.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
You say the snake looked "dinky"? How long was it, maybe about a foot long?

If so, it might be a baby, and if so, I have been told the baby snakes actually carry a more venomous toxin in their glands, than adult snakes do.

When I was in New Mexico, that was the claim made, concerning western diamondback rattlers.

So, be very careful and monitor the bite location.

bcp

In My Opinion
You say the snake looked "dinky"? How long was it, maybe about a foot long?

If so, it might be a baby, and if so, I have been told the baby snakes actually carry a more venomous toxin in their glands, than adult snakes do.

When I was in New Mexico, that was the claim made, concerning western diamondback rattlers.

So, be very careful and monitor the bite location.
the dont carry more, they just have not learned to ration it so they can end up giving a full load.

bcp

In My Opinion
A big part of Pan Ladies job is snakes native to Maryland, she kinda did this stuff in College too.

bcp

In My Opinion
If I might make an addition to the conversation.
there are some pit vipers (rattle snake for one ) that the babies do have a more potent venom, however they, just as the copperhead young are still not able to control the amount of the venom per bite.
this combination does make the bite of the baby worse than that of the adult.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
If I might make an addition to the conversation.
there are some pit vipers (rattle snake for one ) that the babies do have a more potent venom, however they, just as the copperhead young are still not able to control the amount of the venom per bite.
this combination does make the bite of the baby worse than that of the adult.

Thank You.

What happened was, when I was there in New Mexico, a few of us discovered, I don't know, about 8 or 10 baby rattlers in a ditch. A senior superior happened to walk by as we were about to capture a couple of them, and he gave us a stern warning to not fool around with them for the reason I mentioned earlier. :howdy:

belvak

Happy Camper
Thank You.

What happened was, when I was there in New Mexico, a few of us discovered, I don't know, about 8 or 10 baby rattlers in a ditch. A senior superior happened to walk by as we were about to capture a couple of them, and he gave us a stern warning to not fool around with them for the reason I mentioned earlier. :howdy:

When we were little (in the dinosaur days), my Brother, Sister, and I, along with some friends, told my Mom about the cute little worms we found next door. When she went to look with us, it was a bunch of baby copperheads. We were very lucky little kids!!! Thank God Mom and Dad snake were away from the nest!!!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Try never to kill a snake, if at all possible.
:yeahthat: I don't take the chance.

However, my dad and brother will gladly kill the copperheads. My sister almost stepped on a big ole' copperhead about a week ago. My dad sliced it in half with a shovel and went to grab another tool. I had to hold the shovel in place so that he couldn't get away. Even in two the booger was snapping at me.:faint: