Got Bit By a Copperhead A couple days ago...

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
My daughter's little 13lb Jack Russel Jilly-Bean was bitten in the face a week ago today by a copperhead. She lives in a condo in P/F, and had walked out to the dumpster, tossed a bag in. Jilly was on the flexi lead. Daughter walked away from the dumpster, looked back and Jilly was taking a dump, so she waited. The dog stood, took 2 steps and WHAP WHAP WHAP 3 times like lightening. The stupid snake was in the parking lot between my daughter and the dog.

She scooped her up and raced to the vet. Within minutes poor Jilly's head swelled up above the collar to the size of a cantelope! She went limp, and started drooling. The vet popped her with the antivenin, benadryl and pred, which slowed the swelling, then stopped it, so by morning it wasn't any bigger, but still massively swollen. It took about 48 hours for it to begin to subside, but she's on the upswing now. She will likely loose the flesh on at least 2 spots about the size of a dime on the side of her snoot. The bill wasn't too bad, somewhere around 850.00. the antivenin was 650.00. It's amazing the vets react to the bites faster than docs for humans. :frown:

The vet said this year has been especially bad with dogs being bitten and i believe it. We've lost count of how many we've killed this year on our driveway. If i can see 'em, they're dead. No questions asked. That's the only native snake we WILL kill on sight. Got a couple of nice tanned hides now.

Rattlers dispense nerotoxins (affects the nervous system). Copeprheads dispense homotoxins (affect the cappilaries and tissues). Rattler bites are worse than copperhead bites.

That's a shame; poor doggie. Glad your daughter wasn't hurt.

What are you using to put down the Copperheads?

Rattlers dispense nerotoxins (affects the nervous system). Copeprheads dispense homotoxins (affect the cappilaries and tissues). Rattler bites are worse than copperhead bites.

So, anything a copperhead bites gets confused about it's sexuality ??

I apologize. Couldn't help myself...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Right! Give the little critters UV protection! :lol:
OOPS Hemo(?)toxin blood related poison. :lol:

Re: "putting them down"....well that was a challenge to do without ruining the pelt, since my way of doing it is to crush the little buggers head with my boot heel. That's what i did to the first couple, until hubby got the grand idea of skinning them. We pretty much always have one in the fridge in the barn now waiting to be skinned. In the barn after i raised such a stink about them being in the fridge in the HOUSE that is. :ohwell: I DO have my limits....

With the first one, Hubby nabbed it and plopped it into one of those red/white thermos' filled with water and capped it. Left it in there over night, and when he opened the lid the very ticked off bastage sprung right out at him! :faint: I nearly fell down running away. He grabbed it up again and plopped it back in, put the lid on, opened up the sippy thing on the thermos to let the rest of the air out, put the thermos inside a trash can, put a brick on top, and covered THAT with water. That did it. He drowned, and the pelt is intact.
He skins 'em, and i tan the hide. We have a couple mounted on old barn wood. I have to figure out how to tan them and keep the colors bright. The tanning process tends to dull them a bit.

Last edited:

nomoney

OOPS Hemo(?)toxin blood related poison. :lol:

Re: "putting them down"....well that was a challenge to do without ruining the pelt, since my way of doing it is to crush the little buggers head with my boot heel. That's what i did to the first couple, until hubby got the grand idea of skinning them. We pretty much always have one in the fridge in the barn now waiting to be skinned. In the barn after i raised such a stink about them being in the fridge in the HOUSE that is. :ohwell: I do HAVE my limits....

With the first one, Hubby nabbed it and plopped it into one of those red/white thermos' filled with water and capped it. Left it in there over night, and when he opened the lid the bastage sprung right out at him! :faint: I nearly fell down running away. He grabbed it up again and plopped it back in, put the lid on, opened up the sippy thing on the thermos, put the thermos inside a trash can, put a brick on top, and covered THAT with water. That did it. He drowned, and the pelt is intact.
He skins 'em, and i tan the hide. We have a couple mounted on old barn wood. I have to figure out how to tan them and keep the colors bright. The tanning process tends to dull them a bit.

Are you skinning them and leaving them hanging out as a "warning" to the other snakes? :confused:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Are you skinning them and leaving them hanging out as a "warning" to the other snakes? :confused:

I wish that would work. I'm neurotically afraid of them, especially seeing first hand what it did to my daughters little doggie.

We use them when any kids come to the house to show them what one looks like so they avoid them. We live in the deep woods. Our family is full of snake lovers, and will grab one up in a heart beat.

We also use them at Horse Science School, and have taken them into our kid's schools to educate them.

Call them public safety announcements. :lol:

Ps...it wasn't MY idea....

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I wish that would work. I'm neurotically afraid of them, especially seeing first hand what it did to my daughters little doggie.

We use them when any kids come to the house to show them what one looks like so they avoid them. We live in the deep woods. Our family is full of snake lovers, and will grab one up in a heart beat.

We also use them at Horse Science School, and have taken them into our kid's schools to educate them.

Call them public safety announcements. :lol:

Ps...it wasn't MY idea....

Wow! Not only do you guys live "deep in the woods", but you all get pretty "deep" in the manner in which you dispose of them! :lmao:

M

Mousebaby

Ok you guys are freaking me out, I just went outside to bring my dogs in. They like chasing squirrels and such and it scares me now to let them go play. :frown:

A

Axle36

take care of yourself

Well is says to reply with a quote.

Here is one of my own.

"What disgusts me most about kids today, is that people my age probably thought the same of me when I was a kid."

Probably not worth repeating, just a thought: