Got My Taurus 17 HMR Revolver...

JustynSayneBand

It took me 2-1/2 months to get it, but, I finally got and have already put the squirrels in the freezer with it, if you guys and gals want a fun way to hunt tree rat, then you gotta check out these 17 hmr revolvers. It's a Taurus Tracker 17 HRM 17ss6, 7 shot with a 6-1/2" barrel in all stainless steel. I mounted a silver BSA 2x20 pistol scope on it and had to pay an outrageous cost of $40.00 for the 1 piece silver mount. but after shooting this thing a few times, I am now in love with it, no recoil at all, my .22LR Marlin has more recoil than this thing, and it uses the 17 HMR which is based on a .22 mag cartridge. It's a heavy setup though, I guesstimate in the 4-5 pound range. solid and straight though. I have pictures of the setup if anyone is interested in how it looks. Any questions, I might be able to help. It's like a new girlfriend, I just have tell everyone I'm in love! My wife didn't cost me $700.00 on the first date though!

LOL!

Dwight

Bonehead

Sounds like an awesome setup. Taurus makes some nice handguns for the price. Where did you get it ? Order or special purchase through an FFL holder. Personally I have never been able to skin a squirrel worth a crap. It does sound like fun.

Bonehead

.17 is the same diameter as a bb but if you make it go about 2500 feet per second it can be very effective. There are rifles chambered for the same caliber.

JustynSayneBand

I got it from Fred's Sports in Waldorf, absolutely the cheapest around. The revolver itself was $379.00 +tx and the scope and mount put it at about $500.00, so with the aluminum case and 4 boxes of bullets at $12.00 a box from MidwayUSA.com, the whole setup, ready to shoot was about $600.00

It's a solid gun, no flaws and dead on accurate. The .17 caliber is actually about the same size as a .177 BB / pellet, but, it has a .22 magnum cartridge pushing it. Like it was said earlier, at 2550 FPS, which is a lot more than dads .22 will do, it is a nasty little gun. When shooting tree rat, just make sure you use solid FMJ and not the poly or hollow point, I don't really care for tree rat burger.

Sounds like a nice gun, but I don't see how you push a bullet efficiently when the bore of the cylinder is larger than the bullet and the barrel? Seems to work though.

JustynSayneBand

desertrat said:
Sounds like a nice gun, but I don't see how you push a bullet efficiently when the bore of the cylinder is larger than the bullet and the barrel? Seems to work though.

Well, you have to look at the design of the bullet itself. It is not a round nosed bullet like a .22 caliber, it is a ballistic tip design, the bullet actually looks like a baby 30-06 round or other similar bottle neck designed ammo. The .17 still packs a punch at 100 yards with @ 2200 FPS, that's still twice as fast as a .22 magnum at 50 yards.

Dwight
JustynSayne.net

JustynSayneBand

Here's some pictures of my new toy...

I use a .50 Caliber Traditions Buckhunter Pro with the 15" barrel for deer hunting, I put the same scope on that, that is on this pistol, that's a kick in the pants to shoot too.

Attachments

• tt17hmrss6.jpg
    tt17hmrss6.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 96

JustynSayneBand

and the real deal... Another $400.00 Christmas present to myself (Shhh)

I added these pictures today to show you what it looks like with the scope mounted on it. I also installed a cheap laser sight, makes it look tough, but, does not really serve any hunting purpose.

Now, this is deer hunting!

Attachments

• buckhuntpistol.jpg
    buckhuntpistol.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 99
  • buckhunter2.jpg
    buckhunter2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 93
  • buckhunter1.jpg
    buckhunter1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

JustynSayneBand

Here are some pictures I took of the Taurus the other day. It'll give you a better idea of how it all looks together.

Attachments

• TaurusTracker001.jpg
    TaurusTracker001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 103
  • TaurusTracker002.jpg
    TaurusTracker002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 117

JustynSayneBand

And here's the last picture. This is to show the cylinder capacity. It holds 7 shots.

Attachments

• TaurusTracker003.jpg
    TaurusTracker003.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 109

dustin

UAIOE
I was thinking of getting that same gun but decided since i was learning, plus the cheap ammo factor... that I would get the Taurus Model 94 instead (.22lr).

I never hunt so the power really isnt an issue. It's just for plinking.

It's blued with 5" barrel. 9 shot. adjustable sights, i dont plan on putting a scope on it but a red dot sight might be in the future.

at 12 bucks for a box of 500 rounds at walmart you really cant beat that price.

That tracker is very very sweet though... indeed.... :cheers:

JustynSayneBand said:
Well, you have to look at the design of the bullet itself. It is not a round nosed bullet like a .22 caliber, it is a ballistic tip design, the bullet actually looks like a baby 30-06 round or other similar bottle neck designed ammo. The .17 still packs a punch at 100 yards with @ 2200 FPS, that's still twice as fast as a .22 magnum at 50 yards.

Dwight
JustynSayne.net
Never mind, I just got the design of the cylinder.

JustynSayneBand

dustin said:
a red dot sight might be in the future.

I'll be honest with you from my experiences. I paid good money for a couple of red dot sights, and I'll be the first one to tell you, they are just junk.

I don't care for them at all, most of them have those stupid little fuzzy dots and when hunting in low light I never could see what I was aiming at, the dots just covered up the animal / target and in bright light I never could see that stupid little dot.

So, I went back to putting a real crosshair on my guns. I think the makers know those red dot scopes have flaws, after all a cross-haired scope does not come with a shaded filter lens for bright light.

Those red dot sights remind me of those silly little useless red dot sights for BB guns, ever tried to zero in a red dot sight? What pain in the crack.

The BSA Pistol Scope I have mounted on those 2 pistols is a 2 X 20 and they come in silver matte, black matte, black gloss, and camo and you can find them for around $30.00, I have the black matte on my .32 caliber Traditions Deerhunter ball and patch, hammer-lock, muzzleloader, which is another awesome small game rifle I have.

Absolutely love the compact size and price, and never fogs up.

S

star

what would be a nice small gun that I could carry for protection?

JustynSayneBand

star said:
what would be a nice small gun that I could carry for protection?

something of a larger caliber, like a .38 or a .45, if you shoot someone with this .17, your just gonna mak'em mad at you.

Now If I had my choice of protection weapons, I'd just pack my .50 caliber Deer pistol LOL!