Got the rona, here's what it feels like

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I may have mentioned this already but foods that don't rely on aroma tend to taste better than those that do. Cherry limeade tastes close to what it's supposed to, but coffee has no flavor at all. Bacon tastes like vaguely smoky salt. Iced tea tastes like iced tea. So actual tastebuds don't appear to be affected so much as the sense of smell.

PeoplesElbow

You guys still doing alright?

I'm fascinated by the loss of taste thing, Please keep us updated on your discoveries about it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm fascinated by the loss of taste thing, Please keep us updated on your discoveries about it.

Are you really? Because I'm a sharer with everything in case it might help someone or at least give them information, and I will happily post my observations.

I can catch faint whiffs of things, like vinegar and my hair mousse. I caught savory from my beef veggie soup this morning. If I try to smell it, it goes away. Today in my nose is a musty smell, like clothes forgotten in the washer.

I have the primary tastes, but nothing more sophisticated. The soup tasted savory and salty, but wasn't recognizable as beef vegetable. I took a sip of red wine vinegar and woof - I could taste that! - but it only smells faintly vinegary.

Monello is still eating things like lasagna and sub sandwiches and rotisserie chicken, even though he says he can't really taste them. My stomach has been touchy because of that Play Doh and now musty smell, so I'm keeping things simple. Pudding cups, fruit cups, oatmeal, and yesterday I had half a grilled cheese sandwich (mozz and sharp cheddar) that was tolerable.

Lack of smell is definitely a weight loss aid, unless you're just a person who eats and doesn't need to taste what it is. It's also a smoking cessation aid. I might start some centers, like Betty Ford only for food and smoking. Inject you with the rona, 4 weeks later you're skinny and smoke free.

PeoplesElbow

Are you really? Because I'm a sharer with everything in case it might help someone or at least give them information, and I will happily post my observations.

I can catch faint whiffs of things, like vinegar and my hair mousse. I caught savory from my beef veggie soup this morning. If I try to smell it, it goes away. Today in my nose is a musty smell, like clothes forgotten in the washer.

I have the primary tastes, but nothing more sophisticated. The soup tasted savory and salty, but wasn't recognizable as beef vegetable. I took a sip of red wine vinegar and woof - I could taste that! - but it only smells faintly vinegary.

Monello is still eating things like lasagna and sub sandwiches and rotisserie chicken, even though he says he can't really taste them. My stomach has been touchy because of that Play Doh and now musty smell, so I'm keeping things simple. Pudding cups, fruit cups, oatmeal, and yesterday I had half a grilled cheese sandwich (mozz and sharp cheddar) that was tolerable.

Lack of smell is definitely a weight loss aid, unless you're just a person who eats and doesn't need to taste what it is. It's also a smoking cessation aid. I might start some centers, like Betty Ford only for food and smoking. Inject you with the rona, 4 weeks later you're skinny and smoke free.
I'm intrigued by odd things, I also seem to have a heightened sense of smell, friends tell me I'm like wolverine with my smelling of things.

jrt_ms1995

If what I had back in Jan '20 was COVID (I had many of the published symptoms, including the loss of smell and taste), I was only seriously impacted 2 days total (Thursday/Friday), and my senses of smell and taste returned maybe Saturday, but definitely NLT Sunday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My taster has made a (mostly) comeback. I had a grilled ham & cheese sandwich for dinner yesterday and I could tell the difference between gouda and havarti. When I ate a fruit cup I could taste the different components. My strawberry newton was distinctly strawberry.

The smeller is still struggling. I'm still catching whiffs of things, but the musty smell in my nose has been replaced by a chemical smoke odor, like Liquid Smoke or Bac-Os. I make it a point to smell things like vinegar and fabric softener sheets and other pungent odors to remind my brain what they are. I have this idea that my sense of smell is lurking in the primordial ooze of my brain, it's there even if I have no evidence of it, and I want to give it a thump every so often to see if I can't wake it up and get it to emerge.

I'm weird like that - I visualize my body parts as separate entities with their own brain and personality, communicating with the parts around them. Like I'm a cartoon character or something. But don't worry - I've been assured by a board certified therapist that that's not crazy....

DaSDGuy

But don't worry - I've been assured by a board certified therapist that that's not crazy....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Phantom odors are mostly gone, smeller is up to maybe 50% at best, and right now I'm eating the most divine Honeycrisp apple. I'm still slightly fatigued, but the head fog has dramatically improved and the body aches are gone. I'm a little stuffy but nothing major.

Unless this is just a lull before the storm, I'm confident I'm mostly recovered from my bout with the rona.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
All the way or even partially?

It's helpful to get info from real people rather than the fake crap on the internet.
Mine didn't take long at all. I want to say it was back within 2 weeks. I'll go find my posts to see if I can verify that.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Phantom odors are mostly gone, smeller is up to maybe 50% at best, and right now I'm eating the most divine Honeycrisp apple. I'm still slightly fatigued, but the head fog has dramatically improved and the body aches are gone. I'm a little stuffy but nothing major.

Unless this is just a lull before the storm, I'm confident I'm mostly recovered from my bout with the rona.
I was just sitting here eating a Gala thinking how much it would suck not to be able to taste it. :lol:
I'm glad your sense of taste is returning.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
When I had what I assume was the 'Rona, taste and smell went away for about 2 weeks, then gradually came back. 4 months later, no problems.

Worst symptom I had was coughing clear, sticky phlegm. Lasted about a month.

Bann

PREMO Member
I looked back through some of the posts I could find in the one thread and another one - the best I could find is that it was only a couple of weeks total. Like I said before - part of that was the start of it and then the end of it. I'm pretty certain it was all gone by the time I tested on April 7th for COVID again. (for a procedure at the hospital) The rona was completely gone by then, too. :yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
I looked back through some of the posts I could find in the one thread and another one - the best I could find is that it was only a couple of weeks total. Like I said before - part of that was the start of it and then the end of it. I'm pretty certain it was all gone by the time I tested on April 7th for COVID again. (for a procedure at the hospital) The rona was completely gone by then, too. :yay:
**Referring to my sense of taste and smell. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Update:

Still lacking most of my smell. I can smell floral and tart and mint, but not, say, biscuits baking or steak on the grill. Taste is muted because of this and salt is intensified.

I'm still slightly stuffy but that's the only other physical symptom. I don't feel sick or tired, and I can breathe out of my nose just fine, it's just stuffy.

I'd forgotten how good pudding cups are. I should make those a regular snack purchase.

Bonehead

That is what my son is experiencing now zero smell or taste. His lymphatic system is reacting strongly too. All 4 (two 5 year old twins) members of the household got it from their non vaccinated grandfather. The twins boys kicked it in two or three days fevers, things taste funny etc. Daughter in law was next then finally my son tested positive. We all should have been on vacation in Upper New York state, so much for those plans and reservations...