Granite counter tops

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
BS Gal said:
That kind of looks like someone shat on your counter.

It's not really as brown as that picture looks. It's more of a reddish-ish/tan with grey irridescent border on black background.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Have you looked into quartz countertops yet? Dupont Zodiaq or LG Volcanics :yay: :yay: The one drawback (for me) with granite is possible cracking which would occur in any natural seams. The quartz countertops do not have any naturally occurring seams so no chance of cracking. No sealing required and they look exactly like granite. The prices are comparable unless you are getting a really sweet deal on the granite.

crabcake

kom526 said:
Have you looked into quartz countertops yet? The prices are comparable unless you are getting a really sweet deal on the granite.

Yes, I looked at it (e.g., Silestone), but like I said, I really am getting an incredible deal on the granite; too good to not do it. :really:

crabcake said:
It's not really as brown as that picture looks. It's more of a reddish-ish/tan with grey irridescent border on black background.

Here's a real-life picture of the baltic brown beside my stove, revealing a piece of the existing wood trim on my counter, which serves as a good example of what it would look like with my existing oak floors. I'm sold; that's definately 'the one' for the kitchen. :yay:

Attachments

• baltic-brown-actual.gif
    baltic-brown-actual.gif
    86.8 KB · Views: 114

mAlice

professional daydreamer
crabcake said:
And the others ... the tiles I have now are a terra-cotta color, so I'm liking the peachy colored one, but given the appliances are stainless and black, I like the dark green irridescent one (middle of previous post) a lot. I'm leaning toward a stainless steel backsplash as well, if that helps any.

Personally, I'd go with the giallo. It's pretty neutral, and will work with just about any changes you might decide to make in the future.

Nanny Pam

crabcake said:
Yes, I looked at it (e.g., Silestone), but like I said, I really am getting an incredible deal on the granite; too good to not do it. :really:

Here's a real-life picture of the baltic brown beside my stove, revealing a piece of the existing wood trim on my counter, which serves as a good example of what it would look like with my existing oak floors. I'm sold; that's definately 'the one' for the kitchen. :yay:
I like that. Looks good to me.

alex

The thing about granite is that unless you are able to get one very large piece you are going to have seams. Plus you need to seal it. Corian or other manmade type countertops can be made as one piece and usually don't require a sealant.

Ponytail

alex said:
The thing about granite is that unless you are able to get one very large piece you are going to have seams. Plus you need to seal it. Corian or other manmade type countertops can be made as one piece and usually don't require a sealant.

They don't require sealant, but you have to be careful when putting hot items on the top. Corian is NOT heat resistant. That's the primary reason that I went with Granite. I HATE having things in my house that I paid for, and that I have to be careful with.

4 weeks and counting...I'll have a new kitchen. :banana:
This is VERY close to what I'm putting in...

Attachments

• KTP-023.jpg
    KTP-023.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

crabcake

Ponytail said:
4 weeks and counting...I'll have a new kitchen. :banana:
This is VERY close to what I'm putting in...

That is beautiful! :yay: Is this for your house in SoMd (do you still have that one)? I remember you saying you might be moving some time back.

I was leaning toward the red rose (see sample above), but when I got to the granite showroom yesterday, it was way too pink, so I'm now between the giallo and santa cecillia. I've slapped some paint on the wall that I like and think would work with both (to an extent). Also, due to the awkward size of my existing cabinet, I'm refacing and distress it vs getting a new one. I'd have to relocate my toilet and associated plumbing, as well as replace the ceramic flooring, to put in a 60 inch cabinet. :frown: I ripped out the counter and sink yesterday and repainted the cabinet and new drawer fronts and doors last night. Whatta ya think? The giallo (goldish one) or the santa (white/green/gray)? :tap:

Attachments

• giallo-w-paint1.gif
    giallo-w-paint1.gif
    71.3 KB · Views: 80
  • santa-w-paint.gif
    santa-w-paint.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Paint on wall.jpg
    Paint on wall.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 76

Lilypad

I had beautiful concrete counter tops put in my kitchen, baths and laundry room-they're not for everyone but I love mine. They fit in w/my lifestyle and look great w/stainless and stone. :yay:

crabcake

Lilypad said:
I had beautiful concrete counter tops put in my kitchen, baths and laundry room-they're not for everyone but I love mine. They fit in w/my lifestyle and look great w/stainless and stone. :yay:

Pictures? I've seen concrete counters on DIY shows and they look amazing. I've not seen them 'in action' in someone's kitchen.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
That is beautiful! :yay: Is this for your house in SoMd (do you still have that one)? I remember you saying you might be moving some time back.

I was leaning toward the red rose (see sample above), but when I got to the granite showroom yesterday, it was way too pink, so I'm now between the giallo and santa cecillia. I've slapped some paint on the wall that I like and think would work with both (to an extent). Also, due to the awkward size of my existing cabinet, I'm refacing and distress it vs getting a new one. I'd have to relocate my toilet and associated plumbing, as well as replace the ceramic flooring, to put in a 60 inch cabinet. :frown: I ripped out the counter and sink yesterday and repainted the cabinet and new drawer fronts and doors last night. Whatta ya think? The giallo (goldish one) or the santa (white/green/gray)? :tap:
I like the first sample. The second one seems to be too much gray, while the first one adds a subtle pop of color that's very nice.

crabcake

Nickel said:
I like the first sample. The second one seems to be too much gray, while the first one adds a subtle pop of color that's very nice.

The first granite (giallo) or the first paint color?

I forgot to mention that the paints as they appear by the granite sample are reversed on the wall. In other words, left to right by the granite is right to left on the wall picture. :crazy:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
The first granite (giallo) or the first paint color?

I forgot to mention that the paints as they appear by the granite sample are reversed on the wall. In other words, left to right by the granite is right to left on the wall picture. :crazy:
First granite sample.

crabcake

Maybe these pictures are better. The paint (by the granite samples) to the left is more green, whereas the one on the right is more taupe-y.

Attachments

• both-granites-w-black-and-p.gif
    both-granites-w-black-and-p.gif
    91.5 KB · Views: 89
  • both-samples-on-black.gif
    both-samples-on-black.gif
    80 KB · Views: 88

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Maybe these pictures are better. The paint (by the granite samples) to the left is more green, whereas the one on the right is more taupe-y.
I still think the grayer of the two granite samples, with the chosen paint scheme, looks too bland for my taste, but it's your bathroom. :lmao:

crabcake

Nickel said:
First granite sample.

Which paint color would you suggest? The one that's more green or the one that's more taupe looking? I'm up in the air. :shrug:

crabcake

Nickel said:
I still think the grayer of the two granite samples, with the chosen paint scheme, looks too bland for my taste, but it's your bathroom. :lmao:

No, we're on the same sheet of music there. I like the grayer one, but I like the punch of color in the giallo. :yay:

It's a matter (for me) of figuring out the right wall paint to make it work. Black cabinet, white trim, and white tile floor and tub.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
No, we're on the same sheet of music there. I like the grayer one, but I like the punch of color in the giallo. :yay:

It's a matter (for me) of figuring out the right wall paint to make it work. Black cabinet, white trim, and white tile floor and tub.
I think if you went for the grayer one, a lighter color would look really nice. Like a muted green or melon. With the giallo, I like the taupe. What is the center paint color for? I've always been of the opinion that small bathrooms need to be light shades...darker shades make the room look smaller. I'd considered painting my bathroom gray, but settled on a muted lavendar instead, and it really makes the room seem bigger.