Greetings from Las Cruces, NM!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Today our travels took us to White Sands National Monument. I realize that nobody is going to plan a vacation around this place. Vacations are planned around Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons or Yosemite. But that doesn't diminish how amazing this place is.
Now I know why I had no friends in pre-school; this IS one of the places I do want to go to on vacation! And that's NO joke (perverse fascination with nuclear weapons, I guess; ICBM or tactile, makes me no mind).

Today is 5 years from when Vrai & I had our first date. She says we are on the longest 2nd date ever. Today is another different place where we can celebrate. I wonder where we will celebrate next year.
Congrats to the both of you. In my experience I've found that journeys are always better when done with a good co-pilot (I make no guess as to who the left-seater is...).

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You have to see White Sands to really appreciate it. Large dunes of powdery white sand, with a mountain backdrop. This whole area is gorgeous, though, and the view changes based on the sun position and cloud cover. It looks fake, it's so pretty.

Click on the pics so you can see them full size:

In that last one, what you're seeing is a storm about 30 miles in the distance.

The visitors center was really cute - I love the southwestern style.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now I know why I had no friends in pre-school; this IS one of the places I do want to go to on vacation!

This area would make a great vacation spot because there's a lot to see and do. Even if you don't care for nature things, they have food and brew pubs and theater arts and markets and museums and all kinds of stuff.

We'd planned to head to Cloudcroft but it was another 45 minutes away and it looked like they were having weather problems. So I'm thinking we'll hit it on the way back from Grand Canyon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Meerscheidt is where we went to the roller derby last week and is a large rec center for the community with a large dog park and sports fields/facilites. So now they've closed it down and canceled a lot of activities....to accommodate people who shouldn't even be in this country.

I'm curious how that works, if LC agreed to take in all these refugees or if the state makes them or what. I'll start a thread....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That looks like a sweet rig but I'd rather have a slide out than a deck. I think the RVs in the future will have a 2nd story that will pop up. 43 feet seems to be the max length but I'm sure some engineer is working on adding a few more feet to that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A little more James Bondish, of course if you could afford it, why the hell are you camping?

We see people with half a million $$$ rigs all the time. The couple who were next to us in Gatlinburg come to mind: they lasted two days because they couldn't figure out how to hook up and didn't think to ask anyone for help. We'd have gone over and inserted ourselves but we didn't realize they were having a problem until they were leaving.

Seemed like nice enough people but she was tottering around in heels and lots of bling, so clearly this seemed like more fun in theory than it actually was for them.

So there's the TIP FOR THE DAY: if you're having trouble at the RV park, ask someone. We were all newbies at some point and most people are happy to lend a hand or advice. Nobody will laugh at you or think you're foolish.

Yooper

I think the RVs in the future will have a 2nd story that will pop up. 43 feet seems to be the max length but I'm sure some engineer is working on adding a few more feet to that.
A little more James Bondish, of course if you could afford it, why the hell are you camping?
Have actually seen both!

My wallet can't see either, but my eyes have. Pretty sure both (eyes & wallet) are in agreement, though.

--- End of line (MCP)

littlelady

God bless the USA
Meerscheidt is where we went to the roller derby last week and is a large rec center for the community with a large dog park and sports fields/facilites. So now they've closed it down and canceled a lot of activities....to accommodate people who shouldn't even be in this country.

I'm curious how that works, if LC agreed to take in all these refugees or if the state makes them or what. I'll start a thread....

I shouldn’t have messed up your adventure thread, but thought it was interesting. Thanks for starting a thread about the subject. Stay safe, y’all.

Last edited:

nutz

So there's the TIP FOR THE DAY: if you're having trouble at the RV park, ask someone. We were all newbies at some point and most people are happy to lend a hand or advice. Nobody will laugh at you or think you're foolish.
Well, maybe not on that trip :whistle: So, were at a KOA and near dusk a Class A pulls in next door. Hustling and bustling commences to get situated for the night. After they plug-in, more hustling in and out, compartments opening, hood opening. I walked over and asked if they could use a hand. No power, slide outs wont work and you cant access the rear bedroom with them closed, guess well have to sleep on the couch. They didn’t open the CB on the camp power panel :doh: I’ll remember that story for quite some time.

Yooper

On a somewhat separate note....

Would it be possible to open up a new sub-forum in the "Travel and Vacations" main forum? Would love to post things RV, campers, old (RV) loves, upcoming purchases, hacks, tips, stories & anecdotes, etc.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Just for clarity, if the CB is open there is no power, if it is closed you have power.
I'm confused. Two different things...?

I took the post to mean they never opened the cover of the panel at the "power pole" to make sure the circuit breaker was "on."

Or am I misunderstanding?

--- End of (my 30 amp) line (MCP)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm confused. Two different things...?

I took the post to mean they never opened the cover of the panel at the "power pole" to make sure the circuit breaker was "on."

Or am I misunderstanding?

--- End of (my 30 amp) line (MCP)
Not sure. But you have indicated that you were an "O" so confusion could be normal for you. :biggrin: