Greetings from New Braunfels, TX!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A map of the local area known for it's river float trips. Not sure how much longer we will need to stay here. Perhaps once the remain in place is lifted the tube rental places will reopen.

We are a short drive to the town or Gruene. River Road is the scenic drive and 306 is the direct route to Sattler where we would probably begin our float.

6514_thumbnail-1024.jpg

This is a MUST DO if you're ever in the San Antonio area. You put some beers in a floatable cooler, plop yourself in a rental tube, then float down the river with 100 or so of your new best friends until you get to your pickup point. Then they throw you and your tube in the back of a bus and take you back to your car.

People who live on the river sell drinks on the shore. You float over to them, give them a buck or two, and they give you a little cup of margarita, then you float off. The whole thing is very casual and informal, certainly none of our temporary bartenders have a license or anything so bureaucratic as that.

It is as Texas as Texas gets and I hope we have the opportunity to do it while we're here.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We used to do the same thing near Callicoon, NY on the Delaware River. It is an outstanding way to spend a weekend.
The Harpers Ferry area has sort of the same thing. I'm sure other areas of the country have something similar.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
This is a MUST DO if you're ever in the San Antonio area. You put some beers in a floatable cooler, plop yourself in a rental tube, then float down the river with 100 or so of your new best friends until you get to your pickup point. Then they throw you and your tube in the back of a bus and take you back to your car.

It is as Texas as Texas gets and I hope we have the opportunity to do it while we're here.
Did this with the family last time we were all over there, everyone needs to do a river float with a cooler!

did the same thing in Jamaica but that included rum and other local enjoyment that included its own waterproof pouch :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our travel plans are all in flux. We were supposed to leave New Braunfels, then spend a month in Branson, leave the motorhome for some repair and cosmetic work, then car trip our way to MD.

MD is now not going to happen.

I called the Branson RV resort and they are still sane and all systems go. Our place there is right on a lake, which is a more appealing location than our current sitch, which isn't the worst place on earth either. Given the circumstances, they are not anticipating a big summer tourist crowd, which means we may be able to stay there indefinitely. That wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

I feel fortunate that we're in a decent place with all this going down. We could have been stuck in Mathis or Beaumont, TX or Seligman, AZ. We could have been stuck in some fascist state where the goon in the Gov mansion is flexing his authoritarian muscles. We could have been stuck in some horrible big city (Las Vegas, talking to you buddy). So we've dodged a number of bullets through planning and good luck, and I am thankful.

I hope this ends at some point, and I hope all those amazing river businesses in NB come back. That's a part of America I'd be sorry to lose.

flowerlover

My brother-in-law and his wife RV for the winter in FL, and head back to MD early April. They had to leave a couple days early because the campgrounds there are closing except for people permanently living there. All transients had to pack up and leave.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My brother-in-law and his wife RV for the winter in FL, and head back to MD early April. They had to leave a couple days early because the campgrounds there are closing except for people permanently living there. All transients had to pack up and leave.

Shortsighted and foolish. Many of those transients are full timers and don't have anywhere to go.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Branson just notified me that they're shutting down their bath houses and some other crucial amenities, so I just canceled our reservation. Also canceled our trip to LexPark because that's flat not gonna happen. Which ticks me off because I have things to attend to.

We are in New Braunfels until at least June 1, and then we figure it out from there. If they kick us out of here I don't know what we'll do.

But I did predict it would get much much worse before it got better - if it ever does - so I also predict I'll figure out something. It's not a comfort to know that I'm not the only one in this position. There are roughly 1 million people in this country who full time RV (significantly more than get sick of COVID, btw) and we're all in the same boat - just hanging in there and hoping for the best. Doing what we can and trying not to worry about what we can't control.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm trying not to hold this Chinese virus crap against the RV park. It's actually pretty nice and under other circumstances we'd be pretty happy here - clean park, the bath houses are spacious singles with excellent water pressure, nice big pool, deluxe fitness room, great location near everything. Unfortunately not only can we not use the amenities, nor can we do the entertainment things I'd planned, I'm revolving through good humor and foul anger because this whole thing just sucks and is anger making and I'm being bipolar about it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm trying not to hold this Chinese virus crap against the RV park. It's actually pretty nice and under other circumstances we'd be pretty happy here - clean park, the bath houses are spacious singles with excellent water pressure, nice big pool, deluxe fitness room, great location near everything. Unfortunately not only can we not use the amenities, nor can we do the entertainment things I'd planned, I'm revolving through good humor and foul anger because this whole thing just sucks and is anger making and I'm being bipolar about it.
:huggy:
It's probably little consolation, but it's not all that great here, either. Can't go anywhere or do anything - can't go to the movies, happy hour, gather with friends. Or to work. :ohwell: (although, I have done some webinars, and training on my own time and some "keeping in touch office Zoom meetings")

It's annoying. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we went to River Road to hang out by the Guad.

One of the places we can't wait to go to is Bubba's, which is a biker bar/restaurant on one side of the road, and on the river side is another bar with a bandstand. It's a redneck fun complex.

Monello

PREMO Member
Today we went to River Road to hang out by the Guad.

View attachment 147474 View attachment 147475

One of the places we can't wait to go to is Bubba's, which is a biker bar/restaurant on one side of the road, and on the river side is another bar with a bandstand. It's a redneck fun complex.

View attachment 147476 View attachment 147477
A lot of other people had the same idea. Plenty of folks sitting along the banks of the river. A few were swimming. People near us said the water was cold. But we were a few miles from the dam and the water coming out of there is in the 40 degree range.

The town of Gruene was deserted. Just the country store was open. Everything else is locked shut. On a normal spring Sunday, that town would have been full of tourists and lookie lous.

I get the feeling when the restrictions are lifted, the places we went to today will be full of humanity.

Monello

PREMO Member
Here's a picture I poached from their facebook page. This was back from a February weekend.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The weather here is completely bipolar. This morning it was gorgeous - warm, sunny, blue skies - and a few minutes ago it abruptly started raining. It does that often, just turns on a dime. In the last week we've gone from cold enough to wear long pants and sleeves to sweltering 100*. It's crazy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Day 1 of freedom:

Day 2:

I bought fresh yogurt and homemade cookies, plus lumpia (!) and smoked mozzarella. AND I met up with a guy from Bubba's Big Deck on the river and he said they are OPEN!! So we're heading that way in a few minutes.

:yahoo:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Freedom looks and tastes good.

Sure does.

Day 2, Part II

The guy with the ponytail is Bubba the owner, and his wife Heidi is the blonde next to him. How this deal worked is that the big bar is across the street and could only sell beer to go.....as in go across the street to the riverfront bar that "wasn't supposed to be selling alcohol". Bubba is a man after my own heart.

Tons of people enjoying the river.