Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Big Nose Kate's urinal

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The mine itself was boring but the guide was highly informative and entertaining. My pics didn't turn out because the light was so low and also he was hustling us along, no lollygagging people!, but honestly there wasn't a lot to see. The story was the star.

Boot Hill was boring, too - a bunch of gravesites of strangers - but I needed that pic of Lester Moore's grave since it's famous. It's very cool, though, that they've preserved it and it's not lost to history.

We finally got a humidifier yesterday. Not sure why it took me so long. I've been miserable since we got here because it's so dry. My hair, my mouth, my nasal passages, my hands are like an old crone; I've been going through truckloads of moisturizer. But for $50 at CVS, relief has begun and I can breathe through my nose again. In my next career I'm going to be an Arizona humidifier salesperson and make a fortune.

Tombstone is an exceptional nod to American history - there's nothing else like it. It's become a serious tourist destination without losing its identity and becoming Disney West. We've been to numerous western towns that focus on Wild West history - Bandera, Cody, the towns around Rapid City, Fredericksburg, Greune, etc - but Tombstone is uniquely authentic and modern conveniences take a decided back seat in the experience. Even if all you like to do is bar hop and sample craft beer, Tombstone has you covered and then some.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
We finally got a humidifier yesterday. Not sure why it took me so long. I've been miserable since we got here because it's so dry. My hair, my mouth, my nasal passages, my hands are like an old crone; I've been going through truckloads of moisturizer. But for $50 at CVS, relief has begun and I can breathe through my nose again. In my next career I'm going to be an Arizona humidifier salesperson and make a fortune.

My mom swears by hers. She lives in Pheonix and was in shock the first year she lived there with the dryness of the air compared to the east coast.

Monello

PREMO Member
Yesterday we finally took our stagecoach ride. We have been saying we needed to do this for a while. As our days dwindle there is an urgency to hurry up and do things. Not sure if we would ever make it back this way again. There are a whole lot more places to see and experience. Tombstone is a long ways out here. We drove over to Gleason, AZ that is suppose to be a ghost town. Not much to see but it was a pretty drive out in the hills. We saw another road runner. They don't stay still very long, so you only get a glimpse of them. But they have a unique silhouette.

I also got 2 period newspapers yesterday. 1 is a reprint of the actual newspaper account of the OK corral shootout. When we visited the aircraft carrier in Corpus Christi, I bought a couple of souvenir newspapers from the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the end of World War II. I enjoy looking back at those period publications. Stuff was dirt cheap back then but the wages were lower. A lot lower.

So in our travels we have ridden in helicopters(Myrtle Beach & PCB), taken a ferry (Mayport & Port Aransas), airboat (Naples), dinner cruise(SPI), RV, car, bus, trolley, metro(Montreal), kayak, paddle boat(Mt Pleasant, SC), bicycle & stagecoach. Now we have to add rollerskates and a hot air balloon ride.

Edit - Horseback in Wyoming.

It's windy again today. I hope it calms down by the time we head out on Friday. Next stop is west Phoenix, about 200 miles away.

Last edited:

Monello

PREMO Member
Our stage coach pulled by 2 draft horses

Cactus blossom. Lots of flowers are blooming this time of year.

Allen street baordwalk instead of a sidewalk. It's mostly pedestrians only.

The school board doesn't screw around down here. This is a sign on the road leading to the high school.

Tombstone high school. It's solar powered. Many of the high schools in New Mexico and Arizona are located outside of town. The school in Las Cruces is a good bit out. The locals claim that in a few years the town's growth will go all the way out to the school. So in hindsight they were smart to locate the school where they did. There isn't anything behind the school all the way up to the mountains. BTW, the old Tombstone high school is for sale. A creative developer could turn that into apartments.

The original Tombstone newspaper building. Like most old things in town, it's now a museum.

A period home in Tombstone.

The Tombstone brewery. No trip to Tombstone is complete without a stop here.

Old decal on the smoke shop window.

Welcome to Tombstone. You're a daisy if you do.

Last edited: