Hair Treatments -- Anti-Curl/Thermal straightening

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Anyone have either of these processes done on their hair? A salon here offers them (two different processes). The anti-curl is a milder process, while the thermal straightening is more for very coarse thick hair. I'm leaning toward trying the anti-curl, which claims to help significantly reduce frizzies and eliminate curl from your hair, but is more temporary than the thermal straightening, which lasts about 8 months or so.

I'm curious about the results from those who've had either done, or know of someone who's had either done.

My hair is thin, but I have a lot of it, and if I don't do anything to it, it ends up a frizzy birds nest of a mess. The anti-curl is said to help cut down on the time it takes to straighten hair in the mornings.

:shrug:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Anyone have either of these processes done on their hair? A salon here offers them (two different processes). The anti-curl is a milder process, while the thermal straightening is more for very coarse thick hair. I'm leaning toward trying the anti-curl, which claims to help significantly reduce frizzies and eliminate curl from your hair, but is more temporary than the thermal straightening, which lasts about 8 months or so.

I'm curious about the results from those who've had either done, or know of someone who's had either done.

My hair is thin, but I have a lot of it, and if I don't do anything to it, it ends up a frizzy birds nest of a mess. The anti-curl is said to help cut down on the time it takes to straighten hair in the mornings.

Mine too! I just ruffle my fingers through it and go to work looking like a hot mess!!

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
Mine too! I just ruffle my fingers through it and go to work looking like a hot mess!!
I have had thermal straightening done for the last two years. I LOVE it. I also have fine hair but a lot of hair. My hair will still hold a curl from a curling iron but, is overall straight. It feels very soft and has nice movement. I can wash and wear but, usually blow dry it. As it gets closer to time to retouch I have to use a straight iron on the roots. I usually have it done every five months. It is more expensive than anti curl but, I find that I spend about the same amount yearly. I am headed up to Georgetown to get mine done tomorrow.
I used to do anti curl. It works well to tame the frizzes for the most part but, I still had issues if it was really humid or rainy. It did not make my hair straight but loosened the curl and made it more managable. It is a lot like a perm so expect to retouch every 4-6 weeks.
Overall, I prefer the thermal straightening hands down.

crabcake

I have had thermal straightening done for the last two years. I LOVE it. I also have fine hair but a lot of hair. My hair will still hold a curl from a curling iron but, is overall straight. It feels very soft and has nice movement. I can wash and wear but, usually blow dry it. As it gets closer to time to retouch I have to use a straight iron on the roots. I usually have it done every five months. It is more expensive than anti curl but, I find that I spend about the same amount yearly. I am headed up to Georgetown to get mine done tomorrow.
I used to do anti curl. It works well to tame the frizzes for the most part but, I still had issues if it was really humid or rainy. It did not make my hair straight but loosened the curl and made it more managable. It is a lot like a perm so expect to retouch every 4-6 weeks.
Overall, I prefer the thermal straightening hands down.

Thank you! THAT'S the feeback I'm looking for. How about damage to your hair from the process/chemicals ... any?

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
I always had a lot of damage from anticurl. My hair was very dry and had a lot of breakage. I have had none of that with the thermal straightening. That said, I have read that there is much easier for the stylist to screw up with the thermal straightening, leading to major breakage.
I am obsessivly picky about who does my hair and haven't had any problems. I looked for someone who had been doing the process for years and she is great. Of course, it does have me driving to Georgetown tomorrow which, I have been told is ridiculous!
Who does it around here? Do you know which system they are using? I have always used YUKO.
The other thing about thermal is that it takes forever. Plan on spending at least 4 hours in the chair, longer if your hair is longer. When my hair was below my shoulder blades I had an 8 hour day. This is why it is so expensive.

crabcake

This is why it is so expensive.

My hair is a couple inches below my shoulders (medium length). Just out of curiousity, what is the cost for you to have your's done?

I'm hearing $100/hour, and mine would take about 3-4 hours. One salon quoted me $510, not including the trim. :faint:

But if I don't have to screw with my hair for 30+ minutes a day to get it straight, it's worth it, IMO. :shrug:

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
I pay around $650, just straightening, no trim. My hair is just at my shoulders. I never spend over 15 min on my hair and can actually just get out of bed, comb it and hit the door. It is amazing after dealing with curly hair for so long. As long as I can scrape the money together I'll keep doing it.

Nanny Pam

I remember you running through the yard....with all those soft, silky curls bouncing, and the sunlight reflecting off your natural shine.
....And now you want the curls gone. :frown:

Well, get your butt up here and spend a week with these kids. If THAT doesn't take all the curl outta your hair.....nothin' will. :lmao:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Crabby, let me know what you decide. I've always thrown around the idea of thermal straightening, but I've been afraid to actually do it. I don't want to fry my hair! :lol:

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
I always had a lot of damage from anticurl. My hair was very dry and had a lot of breakage. I have had none of that with the thermal straightening. That said, I have read that there is much easier for the stylist to screw up with the thermal straightening, leading to major breakage.
I am obsessivly picky about who does my hair and haven't had any problems. I looked for someone who had been doing the process for years and she is great. Of course, it does have me driving to Georgetown tomorrow which, I have been told is ridiculous!
Who does it around here? Do you know which system they are using? I have always used YUKO.
The other thing about thermal is that it takes forever. Plan on spending at least 4 hours in the chair, longer if your hair is longer. When my hair was below my shoulder blades I had an 8 hour day. This is why it is so expensive.

wow! I never knew it was such an undertaking.. I've always thought about it, but I kinda like the curly option.. especially @ the beach.
Not to mention my hair thick and pretty long. Would be miiighty expensive

Good info :yay:

crabcake

I just got home from having a consultation with a stylist who specializes in it at one of the few salons in Raleigh who offer the service. She had a lot of before/after pictures, as well as before/after hair strands that were done off actual clients for strand tests. I must say, the results are amazing! I'm practically sold on it ... just going to do a little digging around with the other salons who offer it to see about the differences in the products they use and prices. At the salon I went to this morning, they use all Chi products to perform the process, and the cost will be about $650 after the process ($510, $45 for the cut/trim, $60 for the Chi products to use on it -- if you don't buy/use them, they won't guarantee the results; and a $60 tip (if that's sufficient?). :tap:

Really, I'm sold on the process of having it done. When I factor in how much time it takes to do my hair every day, and break it down by cost that way, it is worth it. Figure if average doing your hair for 30 minutes Monday through Friday, in one year, that cost balances out to $2.50. I think it's well worth $2.50 to not have that frustration of trying to dry, brush out, and flat iron my hair every day, which is what I would do if it weren't so damn frustrating/challenging getting the back of my hair. Since it's long now (still close to the middle of my back), it's really hard to get the back sections with a flat iron.

crabcake

I remember you running through the yard....with all those soft, silky curls bouncing, and the sunlight reflecting off your natural shine.
....And now you want the curls gone. :frown:

Well, get your butt up here and spend a week with these kids. If THAT doesn't take all the curl outta your hair.....nothin' will. :lmao:

That's the beauty of this ... if I want, I can still have the long silky hair with little ringlets of curls at the ends if I want to ... just a quick flip of the flat iron on 'em. :shrug: :yay:

And if given a choice of blowing a wad of cash on my hair, or spending a week with a bunch of kids to try and produce the same result, I choose the first option. :nono: :lmao:

lovinmaryland

I just got home from having a consultation with a stylist who specializes in it at one of the few salons in Raleigh who offer the service. She had a lot of before/after pictures, as well as before/after hair strands that were done off actual clients for strand tests. I must say, the results are amazing! I'm practically sold on it ... just going to do a little digging around with the other salons who offer it to see about the differences in the products they use and prices. At the salon I went to this morning, they use all Chi products to perform the process, and the cost will be about $650 after the process ($510, $45 for the cut/trim, $60 for the Chi products to use on it -- if you don't buy/use them, they won't guarantee the results; and a $60 tip (if that's sufficient?). :tap:

Really, I'm sold on the process of having it done. When I factor in how much time it takes to do my hair every day, and break it down by cost that way, it is worth it. Figure if average doing your hair for 30 minutes Monday through Friday, in one year, that cost balances out to $2.50. I think it's well worth $2.50 to not have that frustration of trying to dry, brush out, and flat iron my hair every day, which is what I would do if it weren't so damn frustrating/challenging getting the back of my hair. Since it's long now (still close to the middle of my back), it's really hard to get the back sections with a flat iron.

So if you have the procedure done, your hair will be stick straight w/ no frizzies? You just wash and go, or you have to blow dry as well?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
There's a place in Waldorf that does the thermal straightening. The owner would not even consider doing my hair a couple years ago as she said it was much too fine. I think I'm going to try an anti curl relaxer. My hair isn't curly but it's not straight either. :ohwell:

redneck_woman

Starting Over
and the cost will be about $650 :faint: after the process ($510, $45 for the cut/trim, $60 for the Chi products to use on it -- if you don't buy/use them, they won't guarantee the results; and a $60 tip (if that's sufficient?). :tap:

I think I will stick to my natural curl's, 5 mins max in the morning.

A lot of people that have curly hair don't understand how to keep curly hair tamed. Don't ever use products that contain alcohol, that is what causes the frizzies, use a mousse for curly hair, follow with a good leave-in conditioner for curly hair, diffuse on cool and your curly's will stay curl's until the end of the day.