Hair Treatments -- Anti-Curl/Thermal straightening

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
There's a place in Waldorf that does the thermal straightening. The owner would not even consider doing my hair a couple years ago as she said it was much too fine. I think I'm going to try an anti curl relaxer. My hair isn't curly but it's not straight either. :ohwell:

My hair is fairly fine as well. That's why they suggested the japanese thermal straightening vs the anti-curl (both places I've talked to) because the JTS is more gentle on the hair than the anti-curl chemicals.

I just came home from a second consultation with one of the other salons who do it (the owner is who I spoke with, and has been doing this for 6 years). He was very knowledgeable about the processes and expected outcomes. And he has rave reviews from a local site that allows customers to provide feedback.

Like I said, I'm sold on getting it done. Now, it's about selecting the right hair stylist to do it. :tap:

crabcake

So if you have the procedure done, your hair will be stick straight w/ no frizzies? You just wash and go, or you have to blow dry as well?

That's right. I won't have to blow dry it; it will dry straight, but if I want the ends flipped in, or a particular style that I would need to blowdry and brush/curl the ends, then I would have to blow dry it as well.

The before/after pictures of this are amazing ... I don't have it as bad as some who have super-tight afro looking curly hair. I don't know how they don't just shave their heads to avoid that kind of torture! :lmao:

Here are some before/afters ... at the bottom left, under the pictures, click "next" to go through the different people who've had it done.

crabcake

Most of the pictures, it actually seems like the thinner your hair is, the better the result will be in terms of silkiness vs. still looking frizzy (thicker/coarser hair).

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Anyone have either of these processes done on their hair? A salon here offers them (two different processes). The anti-curl is a milder process, while the thermal straightening is more for very coarse thick hair. I'm leaning toward trying the anti-curl, which claims to help significantly reduce frizzies and eliminate curl from your hair, but is more temporary than the thermal straightening, which lasts about 8 months or so.

I'm curious about the results from those who've had either done, or know of someone who's had either done.

My hair is thin, but I have a lot of it, and if I don't do anything to it, it ends up a frizzy birds nest of a mess. The anti-curl is said to help cut down on the time it takes to straighten hair in the mornings.

:shrug:

I had the anti curl done when I was 16, it didn't work mind you I have coarse, thick hair. I was talking with the girls at Hair It Is and they agree, its not that great of a procedure, doesn't work.

The hot hazy humid days of the summer will do that to naturally cury hair, by the end of the day, BF wants to know why I didn't brush it.

There is no hope for a gal with hair like mine. I have no patience for blowing, straightening, spritzing, teasing.... you name it. I comb my hair in the shower before I rinse out the conditioner and then let it dry naturally :coffee:

crabcake

I have an appt to get it done at 10:30 tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to get before/after pictures. :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Whoa... Not to be overly biatchy but most of those women should have been way more concerned with thier faces than hair. :patriot:

Pandora

I have actually found a great solution to my curly hair issues, keep it short, but I am curious, is this a cost of $650 every 4-6 weeks to have this done? :confused: Or is there a touch up price?

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Whoa... Not to be overly biatchy but most of those women should have been way more concerned with thier faces than hair. :patriot:

We can't all have perfect hair like you :kiss:

I still look like I'm in my 20s but I know that some day I'll wake up and look like an old lady.

crabcake

I have actually found a great solution to my curly hair issues, keep it short, but I am curious, is this a cost of $650 every 4-6 weeks to have this done? :confused: Or is there a touch up price?

Touch-ups for this are every 4-6 months, depending on your hair growth rate. As your natural (unstraightened) hair/roots grow, you only have to hit the them with a flat iron until your next touch up. That's all of 3 minutes. :shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
We can't all have perfect hair like you :kiss:

I still look like I'm in my 20s but I know that some day I'll wake up and look like an old lady.

My hair is far from perfect and take MUCH work but if my face was all jacked up like some of those girls I'd not be spending my money on my hair! I was really just being biatchy. :lol:

Pandora

Touch-ups for this are every 4-6 months, depending on your hair growth rate. As your natural (unstraightened) hair/roots grow, you only have to hit the them with a flat iron until your next touch up. That's all of 3 minutes. :shrug:

Ok, I'm confused because Sula said every 4-6 weeks. :lol:

crabcake

I don't think the "after" pictures look all that good. The hair looks damaged.

Some of them -- the people with thicker/more coarse hair -- do. The ones with thinner hair look good, especially where I'm getting mine done (not that salon). Theirs are all great before/afters, as well as with actual hair samples before/after. :yay:

The stylist I chose explained that my hair end-result will be very much like what mine is like when I straighten it, which is soft/silky, but permanent. :yay:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I have a hair question I would like some ladies imput on.

Since all the ladies are in here talking about hair do mind if I hijack your thread for a minute?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Perm

I have straight, long, thin, flat hair, that doesn't hold a curl and has layers.

Like picture 1

I want my hair to look like the other pictures (big curls at the bottom)

Ca I get a perm that will do this or will it end up looking like a sprial perm?

Attachments

• my hair.jpg
    my hair.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 54
  • hair 1.jpg
    hair 1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 61
  • hair 2.jpg
    hair 2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 58
  • hair 3.jpg
    hair 3.jpg