Handgun background checks...

sockgirl77

Out of curiosity, did you put your SSN on the application?

A few other who have gone to "further review for common name" have not been putting their SSN on the application.

If it makes you feel better, these are the databases they have to search....if you pass this to get a gun, you can rest assured your record is clean.

Department of Mental Health and Hygene (DHMH)

National Instant Check System (NICS) - Pursuant to Federal law, NICS will only be queried for dealer sales of regulated firearms

National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Interstate Identification Index

NCIC Protection Order File

NCIC warrant check

NCIC stolen firearm check

Maryland Interagency Law Enforcement System (MILES) Civil Warrant/Order File

Maryland Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) - Identification Index System

Maryland Computerized Criminal History (CCH) On-Line

Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)

Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (MAFSS)

Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Civil System Inquiry and Update Menu

Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Criminal System Inquiry

Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Warrant System Menu

Maryland Division of Department of Parole and Probation

Maryland Department of Juvenile Services (ASSIST) database

Yes, I did. I have 2 security clearances now. One for my job on base and the other for another organization. MSP signed off on the 2nd one. So, this is all a complete crock of shiat. Oh and my name is FAR from common. :lol:

ZARA

Out of curiosity, did you put your SSN on the application?

A few other who have gone to "further review for common name" have not been putting their SSN on the application.

If it makes you feel better, these are the databases they have to search....if you pass this to get a gun, you can rest assured your record is clean.

This is a very good point. I didn't even think of this. Hubs and I both placed our SSN on our applications.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yes, I did. I have 2 security clearances now. One for my job on base and the other for another organization. MSP signed off on the 2nd one. So, this is all a complete crock of shiat. Oh and my name is FAR from common. :lol:

When I got my handgun my FFL told me having a security clearance can speed the process up. The process for obtaining a TS is far more in-depth than a firearm background check. So that came back pretty fast. When I bought my AR a different guy told me it made no difference at all.

But they did say leaving your SSN off the forms will delay the process. It's been almost a month wait for my AR - so far.

Shaolin_Raptor

Yep. MSP will have to retrieve weapon if person fails check. A separate note indicating that the weapon is a 8th day release must be sent as well.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just get a PO Box, and a driver's license.

how does that work ?

I thought about buying a 1/2 acre in no where VA. for $ 5000 and change my residency ....

yeah I guess then I would be getting a PO Box ...... but if you don't own property :shrug:

NextJen

Raisin cane
I thought that handguns were sent off with the paperwork to be 'test fired' so that MSP would have a casing on file. When does the gun get sent back to the FFL/dealer/shop you purchased from? Is there any hold up in that process happening, or is it all just the background checks taking so long?

smilin

BOXER NATION
I thought that handguns were sent off with the paperwork to be 'test fired' so that MSP would have a casing on file. When does the gun get sent back to the FFL/dealer/shop you purchased from? Is there any hold up in that process happening, or is it all just the background checks taking so long?

Most manufacturers provide a fired casing.

Last edited:

abcxyz

Just get a PO Box, and a driver's license.

The UPS Store gives you a real street address. If you get a PO Box, use the address of the post office and then Unit ## (what ever your PO Box number is).

Example for the USPS at the mall:

Fred Fruitloop
11110 Mall Circle
Unit 555
Waldorf, MD 20603