Handgun background checks...

Shaolin_Raptor

I thought that handguns were sent off with the paperwork to be 'test fired' so that MSP would have a casing on file. When does the gun get sent back to the FFL/dealer/shop you purchased from? Is there any hold up in that process happening, or is it all just the background checks taking so long?

A lot of manufactures don't provide, some do. Even .22's need to be shot now....they have to be fired at an authorized location (separate license), then weapon is given back to FFL with shot shell. With the amount of guns being sold there is an increase of weapons needing to be shot but it is not even close to the MSP wait.

bulldog

This statement was part of the Weekly Update that MSP sent to FFLs:

"We have received requests for information from dealers regarding the release of Regulated firearms on the 8th day. These are applications in which guns are released prior to receiving a NICS number. Dealers releasing regulated firearms on the 8th day, that are on the fax program, will submit the MSP Copy of the Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm with a notice attached to each application with the following statement, “Eighth day release of a regulated firearm.” It is imperative that the written notice of an “Eighth day release” be attached, not written on the actual application to ensure that we process them correctly. "

Whether they do or don't is still up to them. I think I know who you use and believe you'd be good to go.

I thought that handguns were sent off with the paperwork to be 'test fired' so that MSP would have a casing on file. When does the gun get sent back to the FFL/dealer/shop you purchased from? Is there any hold up in that process happening, or is it all just the background checks taking so long?

No, guns are not sent to MSP for test firing. If they come without a spent shell casing, the FFL must find a way to provide one to MSP. A lot of the FFLs, but virtue of the type of FFL they hold can do the firing themselves so it's not really that big of a deal.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No, guns are not sent to MSP for test firing. If they come without a spent shell casing, the FFL must find a way to provide one to MSP. A lot of the FFLs, but virtue of the type of FFL they hold can do the firing themselves so it's not really that big of a deal.

That. I already provided my FFL with a round for him to fire through the "unusual" caliber handgun that I've been waiting on MSP approval for about 2 months now. I knew he didn't have any ...to sell or otherwise.

Don't know if this is insight or not, but as the MSP is the approval agency for Regulated Firearms Dealer licenses and renewals would you, if you were a dealer, risk having your renewal delayed or denied because you followed the letter of the law instead of waiting for the MSP decision on a still under review purchase approval?

That's the kind of thing I was referring to that licensees have to consider. The government (e.g. to include individual police officers or the MSP in general) has considerable leverage that it can usually, up to a point, get away with using improperly.

I call :BS: on the FFL being told that they would have to get the bun back. MSP has known all along that FFLs could release guns on day 8 and if, through their (MSP) inability to process applications as required, someone received a gun and then came back as not approved, MSP would have to retrieve that gun, IMO.

I'm aware of a particular instance when a seller (in this case it wasn't a current FFL holder, but a private seller) was told by the contact at the MSP that they, the seller, would have to retrieve the transferred firearm themselves if the MSP eventually informed them that the application was disapproved. This was a number of years ago. The seller checked with the MSP to see if the application had been denied. When the MSP contact said it hadn't yet, the seller, knowing the law, asked for confirmation that they could go ahead and transfer the firearm. The MSP told them that they could not. Pressed on that point, the MSP told the seller that they would have to retrieve the firearm if the application came back denied. I don't recall the words that were used, but the MSP suggested that they would be in trouble if they weren't able to.

I believe the MSP was flat wrong in that case (and my guess would be that it knew that), but that doesn't change the reality that it can try to intimidate people into doing or not doing what it wants. The point being, I have no trouble believing that the MSP has at times told FFL holders that they would have to retrieve firearms if disapproved applications came back late.

Chris0nllyn

No, the FFL test fires it (if the mfr doesn't send a casing) and sends the casing to MSP with the paperwork.

The gun stays at the FFL under lock and key until the MSP saysd they can release it.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me. I wasn't sure how it worked.

Btw, it's day 30 for me.

dustin

UAIOE
So (regarding the 8th day change) basically MSP has admitted publicly that their background check process is not required.

Because the 1% that would actually fail their background check are probably providing false information on the ATF and MD forms anyways.

sockgirl77

So (regarding the 8th day change) basically MSP has admitted publicly that their background check process is not required.

Because the 1% that would actually fail their background check are probably providing false information on the ATF and MD forms anyways.

Yet, none of the FFLs that we deal with will release our guns. :frown:

bulldog

No, they are admitting that they are behind schedule on what the law currently allows them and they are trying to avoid the court battle they are currently facing.

Yet, none of the FFLs that we deal with will release our guns. :frown:

Time to get a new FFL, says I.

Chris0nllyn

I doubt they are saying that.

They moer or less are saying, "we don't want to go to court, because we know we are taking for-ev-er, so now we'll finally do what ATF regulations tell us to".

sockgirl77

No, they are admitting that they are behind schedule on what the law currently allows them and they are trying to avoid the court battle they are currently facing.

Time to get a new FFL, says I.

I am happy with the FFL that I've chosen. The bf has guns at two different ones. Neither will release them and from what I'm hearing, damn near nobody will...even with this letter being released.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I am happy with the FFL that I've chosen. The bf has guns at two different ones. Neither will release them and from what I'm hearing, damn near nobody will...even with this letter being released.
It's MD Firearm Dealer License renewal season, I wouldn't expect any of them to place their license at risk.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Neither will release them and from what I'm hearing, damn near nobody will...even with this letter being released.

I'm not even going to add to my dealer's stress level and even ask him if he'd release to me. I'm not in the slightest hurry. I have plenty of ordnance on hand already.:buddies:

But I feel for those who are really wanting their new pieces and have been waiting so darned long.

Midnightrider

I'm not even going to add to my dealer's stress level and even ask him if he'd release to me. I'm not in the slightest hurry. I have plenty of ordnance on hand already.:buddies:

But I feel for those who are really wanting their new pieces and have been waiting so darned long.

If bob is your buddy you are in luck, he released a statement on the bobs sunoco MDS forum saying come get your guns if they have been there longer than 7 days. He says spread the word

To all of our customers. If you are currently waiting for us to call you your wait is over. If it has been more than 7 days from that date that you made application to purchase your firearm you may now pickup that firearm. We have an additional form for you to sign and you're done. Please pass the word on as we are trying notify all of our customers. One last thing, we close at 8PM during the week so please do not show up at 7:45. My employees have families too!

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If bob is your buddy you are in luck, he released a statement on the bobs sunoco MDS forum saying come get your guns if they have been there longer than 7 days. He says spread the word

Well I'll be darned. Thanks.

Edit: Confirmed. Sweet.

Last edited: