Handgun background checks...

bulldog

I would think so, at least the standard magazine that comes with the handgun. You'd still be able to buy or sell the handgun itself.

I had thought someone had introduced an amendment to deal with that issue, but I have found no such amendment - at least, not one that passed. That leaves an interesting situation. I doubt the law would be interpreted to permit the sale or transfer of those magazines along with the sale or transfer of those handguns. So what do dealers do? Not sell those handgun models, of which there are many? Will some handgun manufacturers produce and include special limited-capacity magazines for Maryland sales? Will dealers get third party limited-capacity magazines and include them with the sale of those models? Or the customer will have to buy those magazines separately? Perhaps I've missed a saving provision somewhere in the bill that deals with this issue, but I kind of doubt that.

My understanding, as of now at least, is that the dealers will still be able to order any gun that has a higher mag capacity, but they won't be able to give you the original mag. Whether they replace it with one that is legal is up to them, I guess.
For instance, when I bought my AR, it came with a standard, 30 round mag. However, it was not legal for the dealer to give me that mag so he replaced it with a POS 20 round mag. He (as the dealer) got to keep the 30 round mag that came with my gun. :-( I have, of course, purchased a few 30 rounders since that time. :whistle:

My understanding, as of now at least, is that the dealers will still be able to order any gun that has a higher mag capacity, but they won't be able to give you the original mag. Whether they replace it with one that is legal is up to them, I guess.
For instance, when I bought my AR, it came with a standard, 30 round mag. However, it was not legal for the dealer to give me that mag so he replaced it with a POS 20 round mag. He (as the dealer) got to keep the 30 round mag that came with my gun. :-( I have, of course, purchased a few 30 rounders since that time. :whistle:

That would be my understanding as well.

sockgirl77

30-45 days is what MSP is saying. I called to check on mine last Friday (March 29) and they were processing applications that were received on February 15. Two days prior to that call the FFL was told that they were on February 8 applications.

Now MSP is saying that they are processing February 11 applications. The officer says that the answer will vary depending on who answer the phones. WTF???

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Guess I can expect mine to take at least two months from today then. Oh well...I'm not in any hurry; it was a "better go ahead and get it now, if not ever" purchase.:whistle:

sockgirl77

Guess I can expect mine to take at least two months from today then. Oh well...I'm not in any hurry; it was a "better go ahead and get it now, if not ever" purchase.:whistle:

Well, I'm hearing that people are picking up their guns from 2/26 so I have no clue. I'm just irritated because I keep getting told different dates. I have no choice but to just sit here and wait. :ohwell:

Midnightrider

so i either have a couple of days or a couple of weeks until i get my paperwork back, then the 30 day wait starts!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, I'm hearing that people are picking up their guns from 2/26 so I have no clue. I'm just irritated because I keep getting told different dates. I have no choice but to just sit here and wait. :ohwell:

The gal I just turned paperwork in to said 60 days is about where its at...some are getting done quicker but its because they have exigent circumstances..like holding a CCW permit, or are LEO,... and that sort of thing. "Average Joe" is at 60 days.

Inkd

The gal I just turned paperwork in to said 60 days is about where its at...some are getting done quicker but its because they have exigent circumstances..like holding a CCW permit, or are LEO,... and that sort of thing. "Average Joe" is at 60 days.

Great, at that rate I'll be lucky to get my 1911 parts kit through in time to take the build class in July. Fvckers!!!!

sockgirl77

MSP and FFL are both saying 45 days but I'm guessing that 45 ####ing working days. :mad:

Blister

A couple that I know, he filled out the paperwork on 02/08, she on 02/10.
Picked up hers on Friday, his is still not back as of Friday.

zin

Same here, replaced with a 20 round mag, a Bushmaster brand at least.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Depends on the upline dealer if they will ship to MD with the magazine in the box.

Went around and around with a dealer because they wouldn't just open the box and take the 30rd magazine out. They refuse to open any box and remove magazines, AND refuse to ship any gun with a 30 rd magazine to MD.

Another I found had no issue, and put the responsibility of meeting state law on me and the FFL I'm using.

I mean IF I was going to buy a gun, this is what I expect would happen.. IF I was looking at a SIG rm400 enhanced gun..

NextJen

Raisin cane
I filled out my paperwork on Saturday (5/4). Maybe I'll get my firearm back by Independence Day?

sockgirl77

I filled out my paperwork on Saturday (5/4). Maybe I'll get my firearm back by Independence Day?

I am still waiting. 56 days now. FFL says that they're still getting approvals back from the end of February, so you may be off by a few weeks. :frown: