Handgun background checks...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why? Why not do as he has done, you know, not letting a gun control bill get to the floor. Sounds like your issue is one of style over substance. I'll give you that Boehner ain't a Newt, not even close, but he doesn't have to be to stop a measure. Why should he burn one iota of political capital when he doesn't have to? Simply directing committee chairs so that they know that anything on the matter diminishing 2nd A rights will die, preferably in committee, is all that he needs to do. Why make it a battle when he knows that he owns the game? :buddies:

Substance is winning a major battle with little effort and spending NO capital. That would have been what happened had he shut it down in the beginning.

Style is 'Gee, I hope I won't have to deal with this...' and let it burn and let it grow.

We see this differently. To me, he BUILDS capital doing it the easy way early on. Later, as circumstances evolve, another Sandy Hook, say, he could easily find this monster at his door step.

It's the difference between leadership and just being another politician.

:buddies:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Substance is winning a major battle with little effort and spending NO capital. That would have been what happened had he shut it down in the beginning.

Style is 'Gee, I hope I won't have to deal with this...' and let it burn and let it grow.

We see this differently. To me, he BUILDS capital doing it the easy way early on. Later, as circumstances evolve, another Sandy Hook, say, he could easily find this monster at his door step.

It's the difference between leadership and just being another politician.

:buddies:
He is the leader of the House. Whether anyone likes it or not he still has to deal with the guys on the other side of the aisle. He could be the "mean old white guy" you seem to want and kicked up a furry right from the get-go, but he would have still had to face the bill when presented to the House by the Senate.

C

czygvtwkr

He is the leader of the House. Whether anyone likes it or not he still has to deal with the guys on the other side of the aisle. He could be the "mean old white guy" you seem to want and kicked up a furry right from the get-go, but he would have still had to face the bill when presented to the House by the Senate.

Larry doesn't seem to understand that there is a very large number of the population falling for the "Conservatives are mean old white guys" line and thinks that if they are just good at being mean old white guys people will vote for them.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I ordered from a shop in Pennsylvania, which then shipped overnight to FFL here on April 19. I was told it would take five weeks then...
Have not heard a peep.
I understand that the law states if the backround check is not finished in seven days then the FFL can release the weapon. Of course no dealer is going to tick off the State boys. Can you imagine the wait after doing that?

:coffee:

Midnightrider

I ordered from a shop in Pennsylvania, which then shipped overnight to FFL here on April 19. I was told it would take five weeks then...
Have not heard a peep.
I understand that the law states if the backround check is not finished in seven days then the FFL can release the weapon. Of course no dealer is going to tick off the State boys. Can you imagine the wait after doing that?

i got mine on the 8th day but the FFL isnt doing that anymore. (I am still waitng on the paperwork even though the MSP said it had been processed and would be sent to the FFL last week).

I bet many places are doing it but they just dont advertise the fact.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just talked to MSP. They are processing 3/10 and 3/11. I may have my gun soon. :yahoo:

I'm on Day 59.

Where do you get your information??

I'm kind of hopeing it goes a LITTLE longer than the expected 60 days, so I can get the .22 upper and barrel I want.

sockgirl77

Where do you get your information??

I'm kind of hopeing it goes a LITTLE longer than the expected 60 days, so I can get the .22 upper and barrel I want.

410-653-4500

Press 4
then
Press 1

When they ask what division say firearms licensing. They tell you what date they are processing and if you've been sent to review. They are now sending people to review for ignorant reasons, one of which is speeding tickets. The other is that they are flagging certain last names (Rodriguez and Gonzalez are on that list). If you are not a member of the Maryland Shooters forum, you should be. I've found A LOT of great info on there.

bulldog

i got mine on the 8th day but the FFL isnt doing that anymore. (I am still waitng on the paperwork even though the MSP said it had been processed and would be sent to the FFL last week).

I bet many places are doing it but they just dont advertise the fact.

Some are, but not many. And the ones that are are only doing it for well known, repeat customers. Mine is still doing it, releasing guns on day 10...if he knows you well enough to trust you.

410-653-4500

Press 4
then
Press 1

When they ask what division say firearms licensing. They tell you what date they are processing and if you've been sent to review. They are now sending people to review for ignorant reasons, one of which is speeding tickets. The other is that they are flagging certain last names (Rodriguez and Gonzalez are on that list). If you are not a member of the Maryland Shooters forum, you should be. I've found A LOT of great info on there.

Is this entire process automated? If not, realize that every phone call that they have to answer personally takes away from the time they have to actually process the applications. That is one of the complaints that MSP made to the folks at MSI...tell folks to stop calling, we're going as fast as we can, but you're f'ing yourselves by calling us and wasting our time.

Chris0nllyn

Some are, but not many. And the ones that are are only doing it for well known, repeat customers. Mine is still doing it, releasing guns on day 10...if he knows you well enough to trust you.

Is this entire process automated? If not, realize that every phone call that they have to answer personally takes away from the time they have to actually process the applications. That is one of the complaints that MSP made to the folks at MSI...tell folks to stop calling, we're going as fast as we can, but you're f'ing yourselves by calling us and wasting our time.

I understand not calling, but the only reason this is taking so long, is because of the MSP.

I find it ridiculous that ATF policy says we can get the gun back on day 8, even if the MSP is acting as the POC for the NICS, but we can't.

I find it ridiculous that we have to pay $10 for the application, but we are still at the whim of the MSP.

I find it ridiculous that they have to manually put someone's name in 17 different databases.

I find this entire f-ing state ridiculous.

sockgirl77

It's not automated. I'm sorry but I've been waiting 2 months so I felt the need to call.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I understand not calling, but the only reason this is taking so long, is because of the MSP.

I find it ridiculous that ATF policy says we can get the gun back on day 8, even if the MSP is acting as the POC for the NICS, but we can't.

I find it ridiculous that we have to pay $10 for the application, but we are still at the whim of the MSP.

I find it ridiculous that they have to manually put someone's name in 17 different databases.

Just imagine the outrage and outcry if people had to do the same thing to get my money via welfare, unemployment, etc.

bulldog

I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm simply saying that for each phone call they take it is probably one application not processed.

bulldog

It's not automated. I'm sorry but I've been waiting 2 months so I felt the need to call.

I have absolutely zero issues with anyone calling, it's your right to do so and I may too, if I were not in good with my gun guy. I'm just passing on what was said...

Good luck to you and your new gun. :smoochy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just imagine the outrage and outcry if people had to do the same thing to get my money via welfare, unemployment, etc.

I like THAT idea..

Maybe the citizens should form a coalition to approve new welfare funding.. Check with ALL surrounding states, and counties to ensure they aren't already getting benefits from somewhere else, and have some poor schmuck at a desk inputtint every single one of them for EVERY single state and county..

By the time they got their first check I bet they'd be looking for a job.

Chris0nllyn

I like THAT idea..

Maybe the citizens should form a coalition to approve new welfare funding.. Check with ALL surrounding states, and counties to ensure they aren't already getting benefits from somewhere else, and have some poor schmuck at a desk inputtint every single one of them for EVERY single state and county..

By the time they got their first check I bet they'd be looking for a job.

You mean a welfare system that encourages someone to go find a job?!

What a crazy idea!