Handgun background checks...

Chris0nllyn

FYI, the state is pulling in other employees to put gun applicant info into spreadsheets.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/legislative/temporary/AGC_Press_Release.pdf

This is against the law according to COMAR 29.03.01.06 which expressly states, "The State Police shall review the application for accuracy, omissions, or discrepancies before investigating the applicant".

Keep in mind the past incidents with Md employees....

1. 13 Corrections officers indicted in MD accused of aiding gang's drug scheme April 23, 2013

Md. MVA Employee Charged in ID Card Sales (washingtonpost.com)

2. Joann Fleishell, Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration worker, convicted of stealing nearly $88,000 in Frederick, MD. March 25, 2012

Joann Fleishell Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration worker convicted of stealing nearly $88,000 in Frederick, Md. | wusa9.com

3. Former Maryland MVA employee pleads guilty to conspiracy to fraudulently produce and sell Maryland driver's licenses - Accepted bribes to issue licenses to applicants who had failed the written and driving tests September 7, 2012.

Former Maryland MVA employee pleads guilty to conspiracy to fraudulently produce and sell Maryland driver's licenses

4. MVA Employees nabbed in Maryland driver's license and ID card scam September 10, 2009.

MVA employees nabbed in Maryland driver's license and ID card scam - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com

5. Former correctional officer arrested for bringing drugs to inmate August 25, 2010.

Former Correctional Officer Arrested for Bringing Drugs to Inmate - News and Features - Baltimore City Paper

6. MD MVA Employee Charged in ID Card Sales April 23, 2005

Former Correctional Officer Arrested for Bringing Drugs to Inmate - News and Features - Baltimore City Paper

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
FYI, the state is pulling in other employees to put gun applicant info into spreadsheets.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/legislative/temporary/AGC_Press_Release.pdf

This is against the law according to COMAR 29.03.01.06 which expressly states, "The State Police shall review the application for accuracy, omissions, or discrepancies before investigating the applicant".........

For those not understanding, your form 77R lists your name, address, SSN and other Personal Identifying Information. If someone (not MSP) gets a hold of your information, what can happen? :shrug: If you have a security clearance for your job on the base, this could create big problems.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I wish we had representation like Sen. Nancy Jacobs here. Not only does she answer emails but sends out updates like this.
She has addressed the sharing of private information in an earlier update.

Dear Pro Gun and Privacy Advocate:

WE HAVE RECEIVED INFORMATION THAT THE SITE WHERE YOU CAN READ THE COMAR REGULATIONS IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AT THIS TIME. HOPEFULLY, IT WILL BE UP AND RUNNING SHORTLY. KEEP TRYING.

PLEASE NOTE THE CORRECT ADDRESS FOR THE HEARING.

PLEASE SAVE THE DATE: The hearing for the gun regulations (COMAR 29.03.01.01 Weapons Regulations: Regulated Firearms; and COMAR 29.03.02.01 Weapons Regulations: Handgun Permit Unit) on the implementation of Senate Bill 281
has been scheduled for September 23, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. in the Joint Hearing Room, 90 State Circle, Legislative Services Building, Annapolis, MD (next to Lawyer's Mall).

Read the latest article, "Senator calls for federal investigation of firearms application processing" here.

Let's show them we aren't going to take this sitting down. Please come to Annapolis on September 23.

Senator Nancy C. Jacobs

NextJen

Raisin cane
This was posted on FB from Maryland Shall Issue:

"We are looking for a few people willing to speak on camera about the 77R privacy issue for an interview with Baltimore Channel 11. If your interested, please contact info@marylandshallissue.org. It would be a shame to miss this media opportunity because no one will speak up."

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Are the new laws based on purchase date or delivery date?

i.e. IF somebody were to buy a handgun today (or Monday) do they only have to wait the 7-8 days and take delivery, or do they fall under the new laws and have to take the class.. rectal exam etc??

NextJen

Raisin cane
Are the new laws based on purchase date or delivery date?

i.e. IF somebody were to buy a handgun today (or Monday) do they only have to wait the 7-8 days and take delivery, or do they fall under the new laws and have to take the class.. rectal exam etc??

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/279713-breaking-news-marylanders-who-want-handguns.html

Maryland Shall Issue had posted that if you purchased your handgun before Oct. 1 you were not required to have the HQL. So, if I'm reading that correctly, you can still purchase thru Sept. 30 and not have to go through the training even if you pick up after Oct. 1.

Am I right?

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/279713-breaking-news-marylanders-who-want-handguns.html

Maryland Shall Issue had posted that if you purchased your handgun before Oct. 1 you were not required to have the HQL. So, if I'm reading that correctly, you can still purchase thru Sept. 30 and not have to go through the training even if you pick up after Oct. 1.

Am I right?

At the last minute the MSP announced that it was, in essence, going to ignore the new law in this regard. By law, in order to take possession of the handgun on October 1st or after you would have to get a HQL, even if you'd submitted an application and paid for / ordered the handgun before that date. But the MSP is saying it won't enforce that law, that it will allow people to take possession of the handgun on or after October 1st (without a HQL) so long as they submitted the application before that date.

For my own part, I'd be leery of doing so. You're still violating the law, the MSP can't change that. Other entities could still choose to enforce the law (e.g. local state's attorney, Maryland AG, sheriff's departments which could initiate the process). Now, I suspect those other entities will go along and not enforce the law either. But it leaves a pretty clearly illegal act out there that could be used against you later if someone really wanted to.

As for dealers releasing the handguns to people, relying on this announcement from the MSP, they should be particularly leery. I probably would not so release them if I were a dealer. It is against the law, and the MSP (and every relevant prosecutor for that matter) choosing not to prosecute the violation won't necessarily protect the dealer from potential future civil liability. If that handgun were later used illegally, or used to harm or kill someone by accident, a civil claim might be brought against the dealer based on the fact that they had illegally sold the handgun. Again, the MSP doesn't get to change the law - it just gets to choose not to enforce it (criminally) under certain circumstances. Absent a declaratory injunction from a court saying it's alright to release the handguns (which isn't going to happen because the language in the law, and the legislative history, make it clear that it isn't legal), dealers probably shouldn't release handguns on or after October 1st without HQLs.

Midnightrider

Lots to choose from. Expensive too.

if you plan to use it for defense get a reflex sight, a low mag (maybe 4x) wide field of view scope, or iron sights as chris suggested. if you plan on using it for target shooting at distance, the sky is your limit. they make some pretty fancy scopes that are designed around that load.

i'd go with the iron sights, but thats just me

PsyOps

Pixelated
Best of the best though.

You can always go with flip-up iron sights.

if you plan to use it for defense get a reflex sight, a low mag (maybe 4x) wide field of view scope, or iron sights as chris suggested. if you plan on using it for target shooting at distance, the sky is your limit. they make some pretty fancy scopes that are designed around that load.

i'd go with the iron sights, but thats just me

Already have a flip up. I'm looking more for a scope - for distance/range shooting.

Midnightrider

Already have a flip up. I'm looking more for a scope - for distance/range shooting.

i have a BSA sweet 17 on my 17 HMR. it was reasonably priced and does a great job out to 250-300 yards.
i beleive they make one for the 223 that is also dialed in for that round.