Handgun recomendations

Sparx

My wife wants to get me a new handgun for our anniversary. I want it for home protection and target shooting. I know there are many shooters here so what are your favorites? I'm leaning towards an automatic as I already have a DA revolver. ($500.00 limit)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My wife wants to get me a new handgun for our anniversary. I want it for home protection and target shooting. I know there are many shooters here so what are your favorites? I'm leaning towards an automatic as I already have a DA revolver. ($500.00 limit)

Kind of impossible to answer.

You have to find a gun that fits your hand, that you find comfortable and controllable.

A gun that fits my gorilla hands, you may not even be able to get your hands around.

Now caliber wise, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the .45.

.45 is kind of expensive for a plinker, but if you want to start a new re-loading hobby you can't go wrong!

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That's not realistic, in my view, $500.

Sparx

Kind of impossible to answer.

You have to find a gun that fits your hand, that you find comfortable and controllable.

A gun that fits my gorilla hands, you may not even be able to get your hands around.

Now caliber wise, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the .45.

.45 is kind of expensive for a plinker, but if you want to start a new re-loading hobby you can't go wrong!

I've shot a lot of other peoples guns and I do like the 45. I've never found one I couldn't fit my hands around.

Vince

I got a new Springfield XD 45 Compact for just over $500. Of course, that was last year...before Obama was elected. Good luck finding anything right now.
I like the Springfield, but was thinking more along the lines of the 1911A1 full size .45ACP long slide

Attachments

• Springfield.jpg
    Springfield.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 98

Glock?

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

Well...FWIW, my favorite is the Glock 34, and in a 9mm it is fairly affordable for target shooting, and has a 5 in barrel length for inproved aim. Stock, it is roughly $450 to $600. GREAT GUN! My husband swore he would never shoot a Glock until one weekend we were at a match and his gun had problems, so he shot mine that day...he now has a Glock 34 of his own! They flat out run. Easy to clean, reliable and a great home gun. ALSO, not sure if you have heard of IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) but they have monthly matches at Sanners Lake, and it is a ton of fun! The Glock falls into the "stock service pistol in IDPA and "production" class of guns for the super fun USPSA matches. I like the Glock better than the Sigs because of the single action...makes it much easier to get a good first shot off when you aren't dealing with double action. And really, what is the difference at 20 ft between a well placed 9mm and a well placed 45? I think the end result is still a very nuetralized target! Good Luck!:howdy:

dustin

UAIOE
I have a S&W 5904, bought it used. Nice pistol.... i love it!

that said, my brother has a Glock 27 and I really like his too. Plus on some Glocks you can get .22 conversion kits (1911 style pistols have .22 conversion kits too).... so you can have your home protection caliber, and then switch to .22 if you just want to burn through some rounds. of course the conversion kits are around 300 bucks so that would be something you get down the road...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bo Mar Adjustable sights, Barsto Barrel.. Top end was blued.. That's all.

I've been checking it out. You can get them for well under $500. Wow.

I had no idea you could buy a decent firearm for less than a case of ammo for the damn thing.

:lol:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Well...FWIW, my favorite is the Glock 34, and in a 9mm it is fairly affordable for target shooting, and has a 5 in barrel length for inproved aim. Stock, it is roughly $450 to $600. GREAT GUN! My husband swore he would never shoot a Glock until one weekend we were at a match and his gun had problems, so he shot mine that day...he now has a Glock 34 of his own! They flat out run. Easy to clean, reliable and a great home gun. ALSO, not sure if you have heard of IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) but they have monthly matches at Sanners Lake, and it is a ton of fun! The Glock falls into the "stock service pistol in IDPA and "production" class of guns for the super fun USPSA matches. I like the Glock better than the Sigs because of the single action...makes it much easier to get a good first shot off when you aren't dealing with double action. And really, what is the difference at 20 ft between a well placed 9mm and a well placed 45? I think the end result is still a very nuetralized target! Good Luck!:howdy:

This is actually a very good post. Although, I would just run the 17 unless I was doing sometime of competition shooting. 9mm is more than capable especially with a good HP expanding round like the Winchester Ranger T's or Federal HST's. O and Sig makes a couple different trigger actions now besides the DA/SA trigger that is the old standby.