Handgun recomendations

Animal

I eat red meat
My wife wants to get me a new handgun for our anniversary. I want it for home protection and target shooting. I know there are many shooters here so what are your favorites? I'm leaning towards an automatic as I already have a DA revolver. ($500.00 limit)
Get a Taurus Judge .45/410 revolver and load it up with buckshot.

Dukesdad

Lock and Load

R Lee Ermy had the whole spectrum on tonight. The shockwave from the 500 smith going up his arm in slo mo was IMPRESIVE:popcorn:

Bigpops92

Interesting comments made on this post. Its funny to read the same old arguments...especially the "knock down power" of the 45.

Home defense - if you can't hit what your aiming at...whats the point? Size, recoil control, sights, etc etc go a long way.

Do yourself a favor, attend an organized shoot. A Sanners Lake IDPA event is a good start. There you will find a handfull of individuals more than willing to let you handle and fire their guns. Only you will know what feels right and what doesn't. Trust me, my wife and I have tried/owned them all. She found the Glock works for her only by trying what I just mentioned. Besides, this approach is easier on the pocket book.

I would also stress a shooting course or participation in an organized event such as IDPA or USPSA. (I would suggest IDPA first if this is your first time as it is more regimented...and less "running and gunning")

I can swear to you, my wife and I gun awareness increased 100 times over by shooting in these events. Other that an LE professional that handles a firearm on a daily basis, the normal everyday citizen does not have an opportunity to become familiar enough with their weapon. Shooting is half the battle. Clearing malfunctions, shooting from odd positions, reloads, etc is what seperates a casual shooter from a seasoned shooter.

In short I would pitty the person that attempted to break into our house now. Not meant as a joke or bragging, it is a fact. No night sights or lasers needed, our experience and gun skills have increased to a point that our shots will go where intended.

This got way longer than I planned. If you want to PM me feel free. If I don't own what you want to try chances are I know someone who does.

As mentioned earlier, this is serious stuff. You need to be informed and prepared.

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Other that an LE professional that handles a firearm on a daily basis, the normal everyday citizen does not have an opportunity to become familiar enough with their weapon. .

I agree with you on everything you said except for this, yes some cops are very familar with the firearms they carry, others on the other hand only do the minimum to get by and qualify every year. I have heard and seen lots of things from other LEO's that is quite unbelieveable when it comes to their lack of knowledge with one of the most important tools they carry.

LEO or average citizen, anyone that owns a firearm and intends to use it should atleast be familar enough with it to operate it proficeintly and clear malfunctions in a somewhat rapid fasion.

Recent interaction with the State police at the barracks in PF proved to me this. By the cops own admission he hated to see me coming with a firearm to do a transfer because he "hates guns and only carries one because they make him". Now he could be a crack shot, I don't know, but in my experience very few cops are really "gun people".

Bigpops92

Your 100% corrrect. I typed too fast and I did not want to offend. Now I will! :)

Some of the biggest violators of basic safety rules I have seen have been from LEO's. (ie gun pointed straight in the air during a mag change, finger within trigger guard during movement or reloads, etc)

Also some of the worst shots. Funding seems to be a major issue.

For me...I find it hard to except that you would not be throughly familiar with your weapon. Especially if your life depended on it.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Perhaps I should start a new thread...but I have been looking for a ladies pistol...like the antique ones that have a hidden safety..very ornate, very small...I am not really sure the best place to look...I was thinking maybe a gun show, but not sure how to find those either...any ideas?

Animal

I eat red meat
Perhaps I should start a new thread...but I have been looking for a ladies pistol...like the antique ones that have a hidden safety..very ornate, very small...I am not really sure the best place to look...I was thinking maybe a gun show, but not sure how to find those either...any ideas?
Like a derringer? Cobra makes them in .22, .32, .38, and 9mm

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Like a derringer? Cobra makes them in .22, .32, .38, and 9mm

yes something like that..in the victorian era they had these decorated lavishly for ladies something like this..only not a replica

Attachments

• gun-sword_2059_6529322.jpg
    gun-sword_2059_6529322.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 64

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Do you want this gun just to have or do you intend to use as a self defense/home defense handgun?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Do you want this gun just to have or do you intend to use as a self defense/home defense handgun?

Well at first I was simply looking for an antique. but the more I consider it the more I would really like a new one like those above...of course i have some safety courses and such to do first...

G

Gtmustang88

I have a glock 19 and love shooting it. I would go to a range such as the one by Andrews air force base, and rent a few guns that you think you would like to try out.

D-35

Off-Topic. Benelli Shotguns

I know this is pretty much off topic here, but as a newbie to this forum and S. MD., I was surprised to learn that Benelli makes many of their beautiful shotguns in a local factory near Indian Head. This revelation probably comes as no surprise to you local gunners. I think it's pretty cool.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I have a glock 19 and love shooting it. I would go to a range such as the one by Andrews air force base, and rent a few guns that you think you would like to try out.

Glock 19 is the perfect 9mm to me, and your suggestion to renting as many guns as you can is spot on, find a gun that is comfortable you first, then worry about caliber ect... If you can't rent to actually shoot, handling it is the next best thing. Ask the clerk to take it out so you can get a feel for it there in the store.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I know this is pretty much off topic here, but as a newbie to this forum and S. MD., I was surprised to learn that Benelli makes many of their beautiful shotguns in a local factory near Indian Head. This revelation probably comes as no surprise to you local gunners. I think it's pretty cool.

I lived next to TC Arms in Rochester NH..

Always loved their guns, and some of them are just plain BEAUTIFUL.. Moved there and their operation looked like a junk yard, running out of an old aluminum quonset hut.. It's burned down and been re-built since, but haven't seen it since the rebuild.

T

toppick08

S.W...38 snubnose is all one needs...............or a .32...........:whistle:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I'm 5th generation Scots from Springfield, Mass (MA) and thought the Benelli news tid-bit might prompt a bit of local pride and introspection. Obviously, there's no chance of that happening in "Drag-Racing"country! Eeeee--Haw!!
Gents, Start 'Yer Quonset Huts!!!! (...After DOD moves out and leaves the region in a crumbling shambles...ENJOY;-)

Well sorry we all didn't bow to your news tid bit that anyone in the area that is into firearms probably knows about. Berreta US headquarters is there too along with Benelli/Stoeger. Frankly if I were them I'd pull up roots in leave this communist state, not gun friendly and not tax friendly for their type of business.

Pushrod

Patriot
While we are on the topic of handguns, I am considering purchasing another .45 for primarily concealed carry. My present CCW handgun is a Taurus PT-145without night sites. I would keep it as a home defence weapon and use the new one for CCW.
I am looking at the Para Ordinance NiteHawg .45 acp. Does anyone own one or have any experience with the Para Ordinance line? They are not inexpensive and I would really like to get some feedback before I lay some money out for one.

dustin

UAIOE
Do you know if the Andrews range is open to all active duty military? Or only classes/groups for qualification purposes?