Handgun recomendations

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Well, the recoil is a huge difference, and then there is the cost of ammo. Like AK posted, Winchester is a great round, for 9mm it is about $20 for a box of 100 at WalMart. I priced the Winchester 45s on line and it runs about $46 per 100 rounds. Makes for expensive target practice! :)

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If I was to go with a Glock, how much difference is there between the 9mm and the .40 S&W?

Are you talking about the price of ammo, or the gun itself? A G19 and the G23 for example are the same gun just different caliber and can be had for the same price.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If I was to go with a Glock, how much difference is there between the 9mm and the .40 S&W?

Glocks 9mm are their bread and butter, with 9 you get a little higher compacity, lighter recoil (faster follow up shots), cheaper ammo. 40 is slightly larger and therefore well make a slighlty larger hole in a human.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I love my G17.

For home protection, I would suggest investing in some night sights.

Nobody is aiming at night, groggy, scared. Point shooting time.

Officers in the line of duty, awake, aware, deliberate, sure. The rest of us ain't taking the time to aim after taking a dump in our union suits.

:buddies:

Sparx

OOPS, I just realized the Glock isn't made in USA. I do have a choice on guns unlike most other things.

ylexot

Super Genius
OOPS, I just realized the Glock isn't made in USA. I do have a choice on guns unlike most other things.

The Springfield XD line is a major competitor to the Glocks (I think that was the main driver for them) and made in the US :patriot:

The big differences between them are the safety systems and the angle of the grips (XD's have a more vertical grip).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Price is about the same.

.40 is harder hitting and faster.

9mm 147g=985fps, 317ftlb

.40 155g=1200fps, 496ftlb

We should start a company so that this argument never happens again, .45 v. .40. 9mm.

People are looking for work, right? So...

"*BAM*...OK, Jim, that's 9 mil, hp, 140 grain, how'd that feel? Ready for the
.40 or do you need a minute?"

:evil:

We should start a company so that this argument never happens again, .45 v. .40. 9mm.

People are looking for work, right? So...

"*BAM*...OK, Jim, that's 9 mil, hp, 140 grain, how'd that feel? Ready for the
.40 or do you need a minute?"

:evil:

:killingme On a scale of 1 to ten....

ylexot

Super Genius

Attachments

• ATT00007.jpg
    ATT00007.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 78

Homer J

Power Chord
Nobody is aiming at night, groggy, scared. Point shooting time.

Officers in the line of duty, awake, aware, deliberate, sure. The rest of us ain't taking the time to aim after taking a dump in our union suits.

:buddies:

:yeahthat:

You would be better off with a good tactical light mounted under the barrel. Or a 12ga. shotgun.

.454 casull or .50 express

Attachments

• ruger_sup_redhawk_alaskan.jpg
    ruger_sup_redhawk_alaskan.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 65
  • STmonster_1103J.jpg
    STmonster_1103J.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 69
C

CalvertNewbie

A little off topic here, but I think that those who have responded in this thread would be able to best answer this question.

I've been seriously considering getting a gun for home protection. Never having owned a gun, I obviously have a lot to learn. Please feel free to direct me toward any websites that would be helpful.

Here's my major concern - from what I understand, in the state of Maryland I'd probably be thrown in jail for defending my home/family even if I shot the thug in his face/front. True or not? I had always thought that if I shot a punk in the back, I could possibly find myself in some legal trouble but if I shot him in the front, it would be viewed as self defense.

A little off topic here, but I think that those who have responded in this thread would be able to best answer this question.

I've been seriously considering getting a gun for home protection. Never having owned a gun, I obviously have a lot to learn. Please feel free to direct me toward any websites that would be helpful.

Here's my major concern - from what I understand, in the state of Maryland I'd probably be thrown in jail for defending my home/family even if I shot the thug in his face/front. True or not? I had always thought that if I shot a punk in the back, I could possibly find myself in some legal trouble but if I shot him in the front, it would be viewed as self defense.

Read post 3 in here.

Forums

The rest is interesting too, but I think this guy is probably right.