Hanesworth going to the Redskins?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When Dock left there was something missing with the line. Seems like we had more success with Dock on the line in pass protection, which is why he was offered two major deals in the past three years.

I didn't see Pete getting offered as much. Ole' Pete seems to get handled under that bull rush. That might explain some of the pressure on Campbell this year. I actually feel sorry for Pete and his unfortunate St. Louis fumble.

So, an old gent on his way out or a seasoned young buck who can help protect our young QB. I still say major upgrade. I liked this move better than the Haynesworth or Hall deal and I'm profoundly a defensive guy.

You make a good argument. I'll give you...'significant' upgrade? :lol:

angelbaby

Think about that. Just think about that. An older guy whose team was clearly done with him. We pay him a fortune AND give up a SECOND and a SIXTH!!!

Good God.

I would guess Ol' JT gets the last laugh on that one.:lol:
3.5 Sacks for the season. Gets paid 8 million.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I don't hold anything against the players. They do NOT have much in the way of guaranteed contracts. They are one play from their career being over and they live with that spectre all the time.

If the NFL wanted a merit based system, they'd have one. Instead, they have a system where Albert Haynesworth is going to get some $15 million next year playing next to a guy, Golston, making about a million bucks.

Now, never mind making a million dollars to play a game for a year. Is Haynesworth 15 times better? Would you rather have 6 Golstons you can rotate and play full speed every single play and not have to worry about a knee or an elbow or a hand or a foot or, well, a boating mishap and pay $6 mil or have one guy a play away from being out who is getting about one out of every $9 dollars according to the salary cap?

Otter

Nothing to see here
The Redskins said on their web site that they did not ask Taylor to take a pay cut, but that they did want to add a clause to Taylor's contract requiring him to participate in more than half of the team's voluntary off-season workouts. According to the team, it was only after Taylor refused to add that language to his deal that the Redskins let him go.

And you believe the Redskins??? Hell, they announced that Bubba Tyer retired, rather than say he was fired. :lol:

Beta84

They're out to get us

if the Dolphins pick him up again, I think they'd be getting the last laugh :lol:

So the Skins wanted Taylor to participate in over half of their "voluntary" workouts? Doesn't sound voluntary to me. The Skins look pretty stupid in this one. Either cut him or don't, but that whole voluntary workout thing is a mess.

angelbaby

From NFL.com

With Taylor gone, the Redskins are expected to focus on re-signing defensive ends Daniels and Demetric Evans, who became free agents last week.

I guess we wait and see.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
if the Dolphins pick him up again, I think they'd be getting the last laugh :lol:

So the Skins wanted Taylor to participate in over half of their "voluntary" workouts? Doesn't sound voluntary to me. The Skins look pretty stupid in this one. Either cut him or don't, but that whole voluntary workout thing is a mess.

Why in the heck would Parcells want him now?

BuddyLee

Football addict

Actually, "voluntary" workouts aren't very voluntary anymore. If a player isn't at these workouts they're seen as a diva and classified as much in the media.

BuddyLee

Football addict
With Taylor gone, the Redskins are expected to focus on re-signing defensive ends Daniels and Demetric Evans, who became free agents last week.

I guess we wait and see.
Our rush D instantly increases with the release of Taylor and an addition of Daniels.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I just wish we woulda have gotten rid of Taylor early enough to atleast put a bid in on Canty, him going to the gnats is not good :frown:

angelbaby

This could explain why Taylor was cut...

HALL DEAL WASN’T SIGNED UNTIL MONDAY

Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 12:01 a.m.
In a surprising but (frankly) largely irrelevant development, we’re told that Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall didn’t actually sign his new contract until Monday.

The deal was reported last week, at or about the time free agency opened.

The reason for the delay isn’t clear. It could be that the Redskins didn’t have the cap room after signing defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth on Friday.

There’s also a chance that the team needed to dump Jason Taylor’s $8.5 million cap number before getting the deal done. Then again, if Taylor had opted to insert a workout clause into his contract and if the team had opted to keep him, the Redskins would have been required to clear the cap space in other ways.

The practical reality here is that Hall technically remained a free agent through the weekend, and in theory could have shopped the offer in search of something better.

He didn’t, so it’s not really a story.

We dodged a bullet on that one. Guess he really wanted to play for us.