Hanesworth going to the Redskins?

Otter

Nothing to see here
Not fair. Reggie was an end. End's always get more sacks. Playing from the middle, stuffing the run, collapsing the pocket, Albert has been a...prince.

When it comes to the Dysfunctional Duo, I find it very hard to be fair.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Alright, now I'm happy.

Dockery signed. YES!:yahoo:

Redskins keep spending, add G Dockery
Posted: February 27th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Derrick Dockery, Washington Redskins

Washington’s wheeling and dealing did not end early Friday; it went into the night. The Redskins reached agreement with former Bills guard Derrick Dockery on a five-year, $26 million deal that included $8.5 in guaranteed money. Combined with the $18.5 in guarnateed money Dockery made from his two years with the Bills, he will have made $27 million guaranteed in three years.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
Redskins 0 Opponent 3= Opponent Wins
Philly just let their star player and emotional leader (Dawkins) go to Denver. They're also not pursuing Who'syourmomma. However, they did acquire two draft picks from the Jets by trading Lito Sheppard.

Perhaps they'll pick up a few more Kevin corn on the Kolbs.:yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Alright, now I'm happy.

Dockery signed. YES!:yahoo:

Ths is why, until Canty is signed somewhere else, I am still not counting him out either :lmao:

I'm telling you, JLC is a reject who knows NOTHING!

And the Skins FO has a way of making some strange stuff happen... I wouldn't be surprised if by bed time tomorrow night, Canty is a Skin, and Taylor is either re-structured or cut.

Beta84

They're out to get us
OK, but, there is a theme;

Bruce Smith
Dion Sanders
Mark Carrier
Jason Taylor
Brandon Lloyd
Archuletta

...of big names that seemed very much more about splash than anything 'value' (cheap vets who can still contribute) or young guys who were paid like can't miss hot shots never mind the resume.

Then there is;

Washington
Fletcher
Randy Thomas
Moss
Griffin
Carter
Kendall
Portis

...that were either not outrageously expensive or at least contributed greatly over time.

I mean, I still can't get over Chad Johnson. They were gonna give two #1's and Cinncy said 'no'. It's not good when you start relying on other teams to keep you from hurting yourself.

Plus we cut Pierce and Clark, two solid starters.

Even if Hayesworth, Canty and Hall work out, plus bringing back Doc, assuming the plan is to get 'em all, what do we have?

THE Washington Redskins?

Or

A mercenary team?

To me, you still build from the draft and undrafted FA's and are very frugal with the vet FA market. I mean, you wanna be a team like the Pats where a key guy like Moss, wants to come and not break the bank in the process. This move has continued the image of DC as a place guys come to get paid, not necessarily win.

Bruce Smith was old. Deion Sanders was old. Mark Carrier...who? An old CB? That's just askin to get burned. Jason Taylor was gettin old and didn't get the right kind of conditioning. He might be big for you next year. Brandon Lloyd didn't do all that much before coming to the Skins and they expected him to take his career to another level. Archuletta was overrated.

Those are the disappointments the Redskins have? Basically all of them were past their prime or expected to take the next step and your brilliant brain trust decided to take a shot on them...and they got them all because nobody else was dumb enough to shell out the money. Meanwhile, some of the guys listed on your "success" list were already players that were proven commodities and were acquired at the right time.

I think Haynesworth is a better investment than any of those names on the bust list. He's what, 27 and playing great football? DTs can last for a long time if their knees hold up. He might still be worth the money in 7 years. We'll see how this works out...obviously it was too much money but I think he'll actually be a contributor for you guys. Maybe it's what you need to get that division crown next season.

I agree that the best way to build a team is via the draft...but you obviously have to make good draft selections. Everyone can build through the draft. The problem is, building through the draft takes time and no fan wants to take time unless their team sucks. Teams that are 8-8 range or better expect playoffs next year. You can improve your team with the draft, but you need to make moves that can get results sooner rather than later...or you get fired as a coach or a GM.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The problem is, building through the draft takes time and no fan wants to take time unless their team sucks. Teams that are 8-8 range or better expect playoffs next year. You can improve your team with the draft, but you need to make moves that can get results sooner rather than later...or you get fired as a coach or a GM.

However, when a team builds over time, be it draft, prudent, long term FA's, it makes me, as a fan, much, much more interested in the team. There is a deeper joy when you get to watch players get better over time and achieve as a team. It's a deeper attachment, more fun.

Overall, the team is relatively static on offense; Campbell, Portis, Cooley, Moss, Samuels, Randl El. And, I suppose, it may well be not too bad on D either with, perhaps, only Hall and Albert as new guys not on the opening day roster last year and Taylor as the still odd new guy. If Blades starts at LB and does well, that's great, same with Horton and it will be nice to see Rogers actually make a few picks and not drop so many. :lol:

All in all, I guess it could be worse.

BuddyLee

Football addict
HAYNESWORTH'S "REAL" DEAL IS LIKELY FOUR YEAR, $48 MILLION

Posted by Mike Florio: Friday, February 27, 2009 9:41 PM

Like we've said time and again when it comes to these big-money contracts, the number that gets reported carries a lot of fluff aimed at making the deal look better, presumably to help the agent leverage the transaction into attracting further clients.

In the case of the contract signed on Friday by defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth with the Redskins, the headlines regarding a seven-year, $100 million deal with a maximum value of $115 million sound a lot better than something like, say, four years and $48 million.

But Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that, in reality, the contract is worth $48 million over four years.

In the fifth year of the deal, Haynesworth is due to receive a whopping $29 million in salary and bonuses. And since he'll be 32 when the 2013 season begins, the Redskins likely won't pay those amounts.

Still, $41 million of the $48 million is genuinely guaranteed, which is the true significance of the contract. Moving forward, look for a greater percentage of the actual base value of these contracts to represent guaranteed money.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/

Peter Forsberg

Philly just let their star player and emotional leader (Dawkins) go to Denver. They're also not pursuing Who'syourmomma. However, they did acquire two draft picks from the Jets by trading Lito Sheppard.

Perhaps they'll pick up a few more Kevin corn on the Kolbs.:yay:
Maybe Skins will draft another Jason Campbell. :duel:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Maybe Skins will draft another Jason Cambpell. :duel:

Another one? We have a Campbell, but no Cambpell. Something we should know about the kid? How's Kiper like him? Maybe we should get us a MnKabb instead?

:lol:

Ah, nothing like the petty joy of picking on people over spelling... :lol:

Peter Forsberg

Another one? We have a Campbell, but no Cambpell. Something we should know about the kid? How's Kiper like him? Maybe we should get us a MnKabb instead?

:lol:

Ah, nothing like the petty joy of picking on people over spelling... :lol:
Damn you didn't waste anytime catching that. I corrected it already. LOL

Peter Forsberg

Doesn't matter! You are trapped for posterity thanks to the dreaded quote feature! :lol:

How the hell do you let Dawkins go??? :tap: (or is it Dakwins?) :lol:
I don't know man. They want to go younger I guess. They let him go because I have his jersey! DAMMIT. We are no Redskins spend spend spend. We are stockpiling picks that's for sure.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
However, when a team builds over time, be it draft, prudent, long term FA's, it makes me, as a fan, much, much more interested in the team. There is a deeper joy when you get to watch players get better over time and achieve as a team. It's a deeper attachment, more fun.

Overall, the team is relatively static on offense; Campbell, Portis, Cooley, Moss, Samuels, Randl El. And, I suppose, it may well be not too bad on D either with, perhaps, only Hall and Albert as new guys not on the opening day roster last year and Taylor as the still odd new guy. If Blades starts at LB and does well, that's great, same with Horton and it will be nice to see Rogers actually make a few picks and not drop so many. :lol:

All in all, I guess it could be worse.

Yup, not much has changed. How many of those guys did you actually draft? Campbell, Cooley, and Samuels...which is 50% of the guys you listed. Not so bad I guess.