Hello.

C

citizen_fear

outsiders make more than most of the locals :coffee:

you're really not an MPD? :lol:

Maybe sugar britches but I can tell you that you will need to be outta college a little longer if your gonna base your pay comparison comment in the engineering field. I've been in the field 25 yrs. What about locals?

JULZ

BFJ
Really, I'm perplexed by the perception that my ability to mend my own clothes, sew my own collared button-up shirts, etc. somehow puts into question my sexuality. Really, as far as I'm concerned, sewing is a practical and useful skill. It's quite comical to think that somehow my heterosexuality is threatened by my ability to tailor my own clothes.

*shrugs*

And reptiles and amphibians are some of the most fascinating animals on the planet... if somehow not be scared of creepy crawly things is a negative attribute and thinking they're interesting makes me strange, so be it.

This forum is proving to be interesting. Perhaps I'll have more amusement than I thought.

I like toads :dance:

I

Irish_Eyes

Really, I'm perplexed by the perception that my ability to mend my own clothes, sew my own collared button-up shirts, etc. somehow puts into question my sexuality. Really, as far as I'm concerned, sewing is a practical and useful skill. It's quite comical to think that somehow my heterosexuality is threatened by my ability to tailor my own clothes.

*shrugs*

And reptiles and amphibians are some of the most fascinating animals on the planet... if somehow not be scared of creepy crawly things is a negative attribute and thinking they're interesting makes me strange, so be it.

This forum is proving to be interesting. Perhaps I'll have more amusement than I thought.

Oh my... you need to stay around the forums. Most definitely. Young, intelligent, and you can sew and like creepy crawlies! So far, you're my favorite here. Granted, I'm still new so I don't know a lot of the "locals".

You should teach me to sew. I bought this sewwing machine months ago and haven't so much as opened it... I really need to get to work on that. Promised the boyfriend I'd make him new garb for the renaissance festival this season(which starts at the end of august and runs through the end of october, if you're into that kind of thing)... Drinking, get to look at pretty weaponry and armor... lots of leather vendors... lots of chicks in bodices that show off lots and lots of cleavage... It's my home away from home :)

Mikeru

Oh my... you need to stay around the forums. Most definitely. Young, intelligent, and you can sew and like creepy crawlies! So far, you're my favorite here. Granted, I'm still new so I don't know a lot of the "locals".

You should teach me to sew. I bought this sewwing machine months ago and haven't so much as opened it... I really need to get to work on that. Promised the boyfriend I'd make him new garb for the renaissance festival this season(which starts at the end of august and runs through the end of october, if you're into that kind of thing)... Drinking, get to look at pretty weaponry and armor... lots of leather vendors... lots of chicks in bodices that show off lots and lots of cleavage... It's my home away from home :)

Hmmm didn't see this post.

Actually... I made a trip back home to VA a few weeks ago to go to the VARF with some friends from back home, it was my first renaissance faire. Definitely interesting, lol.

My first project was a vest. It was pretty easy because it didn't require sleeves, which are hard to get perfect... I take forever to finish my sewing projects unless there's a deadline because I'm a mad procrastinator.

You should start out relatively small, but can definitely take on a bigger project once you get down how to use your sewing machine (i.e. threading the bobbin, machine-specific details, how to perform a backstitch, speed settings, making your seams neat, etc.). Technically my first project was a pillow, but that was just to get a hang of using the sewing machine et al. before taking on the vest.

Reading patterns takes practice and I still get confused reading some of the instructions sometimes. So while I sew, I'm no pro and wouldn't consider myself good enough to teach someone. I want to get to the skill where I can do alterations to patterns.

One thing you have to be willing to do is make mistakes... I think what ended up being the hardest part of learning to sew for me, was to get over the fear of ####ing up.

Last edited:
I

Irish_Eyes

Hmmm didn't see this post.

Actually... I made a trip back home to VA a few weeks ago to go to the VARF with some friends from back home, it was my first renaissance faire. Definitely interesting, lol.

My first project was a vest. It was pretty easy because it didn't require sleeves, which are hard to get perfect... I take forever to finish my sewing projects unless there's a deadline because I'm a mad procrastinator.

You should start out relatively small, but can definitely take on a bigger project once you get down how to use your sewing machine (i.e. threading the bobbin, machine-specific details, how to perform a backstitch, speed settings, making your seams neat, etc.). Technically my first project was a pillow, but that was just to get a hang of using the sewing machine et al. before taking on the vest.

Reading patterns takes practice and I still get confused reading some of the instructions sometimes. So while I sew, I'm no pro and wouldn't consider myself good enough to teach someone. I want to get to the skill where I can do alterations to patterns.

One thing you have to be willing to do is make mistakes... I think what ended up being the hardest part of learning to sew for me, was to get over the fear of ####ing up.

Honestly, the VARF is a little lackluster. Ours is pretty awesome though, one of the biggest in the country and pretty well established. I love it there, you should check it out.

As for the sewwing, I've done some small projects before. Made arm arm warmer things back in highschool before they became the "in" thing(at which point I promptly stopped wearing them), I did a pillow in highschool as well. I'm pretty versed at hand stitching, but it just takes so damned long :( .

ChevyGuy

I just moved to the California, MD a couple weeks ago after graduation for a job. At this point I haven't yet figured out what exactly there is to do in the area to meet people around my age (22 y/o), do for fun, and is interesting that doesn't involve going to bars. What are some of the things y'all like to do? What are the local hotspots in your opinion?

I'm 22 years old