Help need advice

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
migtig said:
Great advice EXCEPT - this woman has already admitted to a diagnosed mental illness that will NOT get better on her own. She will be perfectly capable of being normal IF she gets treatment - which involves counseling AND medication.
I disagree. A lot of what constitutes "mental illness" is environmental - garbage in, garbage out. Having someone abuse you can cause changes in your psyche that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Getting yourself out of that environment goes a LONG way toward a miracle cure.

Plus doctors always want to drug people up. It's easier that way. If she went to her doctor with the diatribe she's posted on here, no wonder they think she's mental.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
vraiblonde said:
I disagree. A lot of what constitutes "mental illness" is environmental - garbage in, garbage out. Having someone abuse you can cause changes in your psyche that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Getting yourself out of that environment goes a LONG way toward a miracle cure.

Plus doctors always want to drug people up. It's easier that way. If she went to her doctor with the diatribe she's posted on here, no wonder they think she's mental.
For some mental illnesses - I can see your point. But she has been diagnosed with BPD. She won't get better on her own. Odds are she will wind up trying to harm herself or someone else (hopefully not her children). She needs professional care - not forum advice.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Treatment
Treatment for borderline personality disorder has improved in recent years with the adoption of techniques specifically aimed at people with this disorder. Treatment includes:
* Psychotherapy. This is the core treatment for BPD. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) was designed specifically to treat the disorder. Generally conducted through individual, group and phone counseling, DBT uses a skills-based approach to teach people how to regulate their emotions, tolerate distress and improve relationships.
* Medications. Medications can't cure BPD, but they can help associated problems, such as depression, impulsivity and anxiety. Medications may include antidepressant, antipsychotic and antianxiety medications.
* Hospitalization. At times, people with BPD may need more intense treatment in a psychiatric hospital or clinic. Hospitalization can also keep them safe from self-injury.

Because treatment can be intense and long term, people face the best chance for success when they find mental health providers with experience treating BPD.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This is also from the Mayo Clinic in reference to BPD:

Relationships are usually in turmoil. People with BPD often experience a love-hate relationship with others. They may idealize someone one moment and then abruptly and dramatically shift to fury and hate over perceived slights or even misunderstandings. This is because people with the disorder have difficulty accepting gray areas — things are either black or white. For instance, in the eyes of a person with BPD, someone is either good or evil. And that same person may be good one day and evil the next.

Sound familiar? Sounds like little miss sorrow here - one minute she wants to be with mr wonderful - the next minute mr wonderful is a very bad man. :rolleyes: Whoever this guy is I feel very sorry for him.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
BOLDED is why she needs professional care:

Borderline personality disorder can damage many areas of a person's life. Relationships, jobs, school, social activities, self-image — all can be negatively affected. Repeated job losses and broken marriages are common. Self-injury, such as cutting or burning, can result in scarring and frequent hospitalizations. Suicide rates among people with BPD are very high, reaching 10 percent.

In addition, people with borderline personality disorder may have other mental health problems, too, including:

* Depression
* Substance abuse
* Anxiety disorders
* Eating disorders
* Bipolar disorder
* Other personality disorders

Because of their risky, impulsive behavior, people with BPD are also more vulnerable to unplanned pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, motor vehicle accidents and physical fights. They may also be involved in abusive relationships, either as the abuser or the abused.

mainman said:
Can I get a sum up please?
We live in a wonderfully whacky world of whacked out whackos raising kids in whacked out situations guaranteeing whacked out generations for years to come. YW.

mainman

Set Trippin
kwillia said:
We live in a wonderfully whacky world of whacked out whackos raising kids in whacked out situations guaranteeing whacked out generations for years to come. YW.
TY for the generic answer....

J

julz20684

Pete said:
Isn't it ironic that "Frued's Encyclopedia of Mental Disfunction" volumes 1-7 are giving Volume 9 advice?

Pete,
I swear this is not me! :jameo:

J

julz20684

mainman said:
TY for the generic answer....

Crazy psychotic chick with three kids, crazy psychotic boyfriend; they break up. She's dying to be back with him, love of her life, she's getting treatment he isn't, she's trying to be a better person, but wants crazy psychotic boyfriend back and will do anything to get him back.

J

julz20684

mainman said:
Just the fact that you felt the need to post this is damning enough....

It was supposed to be funny...he'd understand :ohwell:

julz20684 said:
But... But...

julz20684 said:
Crazy psychotic chick with three kids, crazy psychotic boyfriend; they break up. She's dying to be back with him, love of her life, she's getting treatment he isn't, she's trying to be a better person, but wants crazy psychotic boyfriend back and will do anything to get him back.

:jameo:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
DEAR MARGO: I am a 31-year-old woman who needs advice about what and when to disclose certain information about myself in a dating situation.

I was divorced four years ago, and that is when things got really bad for me. I was in a serious depression and made lots of bad choices, including a drug addiction that cost me everything -- job, family, friends, and all my material things.

Last summer I was finally able to get clean, but these past few months, I have been obsessed, as I also suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome. I am still in intensive therapy and working on healing and moving forward. I am living with my mother and stepfather. I'm severely in debt and have not worked in the past year, and do not even remember what a social life is like.

I am very insecure and embarrassed about being judged about my past, but I do have hope that I will be able to get past this and eventually move on with my life. In the meantime, I am not sure how much to tell people I have not seen in a while or am just meeting.

Any advice on how I can approach this without scaring everyone away?

--- J.M.

DEAR J.: Certainly I would skip all the details at an initial meeting. Not only would a full recital be sad and awkward for you, but the listener would be most uncomfortable.

For friends from before who don't know what your life has been like, a simple, non-specific catch-up will suffice . . . something like, "It's been a bit rocky, but I am getting back in the swing of things."

In the context of dating, should you meet someone who interests you, try to hold your history in abeyance until there are definite signs of reciprocal interest -- at which time you both would be obligated to discuss past difficult histories.

Do not feel hobbled by what you've been through. Many terrific people have triumphed over similar demons.

--- MARGO, FORWARDLY

:ohwell: