Hermanville Road And Route 235 Being Examined

royhobie

hobieflyer
Hermanville Road and Route 235 has had a significant amount of accidents, some serious. It is a traffic controlled intersection.

Has anyone, or do you know of anyone that has had accidents at Hermanville Road and State Route 235 in St. Mary's County? What are your opinions of why these accidents continue to occur and become more and more frequent?

A few weeks ago, a person had to be cut out of his car. He remains in the hospital and will be there for a month more. There is a long list of similar accidents. As a traffic controlled intersection, this should not be occuring. I do know the police will be monitoring it much closer in the very near future.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
That is the most rediculous intersection ever! They need to dig up the center median and make it a four way light-cycle intersection. Period.

People coming out of Wawa and need to go south are forced to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get to the left turn lanes to make a u-turn. How safe is that?
Emergency vehicles cross over the median in the middle of the road to get to-from Hermanville. Instead of being able to leave the NFCU & Kohl's area and use the intersection to go north, you have to cross trafffic (AGAIN) to get to the next south u-turn section to go north.
Makes me want to get a back hoe and dig up that :cussing: median.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That is the most rediculous intersection ever! They need to dig up the center median and make it a four way light-cycle intersection. Period.

People coming out of Wawa and need to go south are forced to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get to the left turn lanes to make a u-turn. How safe is that?
Emergency vehicles cross over the median in the middle of the road to get to-from Hermanville. Instead of being able to leave the NFCU & Kohl's area and use the intersection to go north, you have to cross trafffic (AGAIN) to get to the next south u-turn section to go north.
Makes me want to get a back hoe and dig up that :cussing: median.

:confused: I think you're lost.

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member
There was a in-depth study done. The causes of the accidents was determined to be more than one vehicle trying to occupy the same point in space at the same time. You are welcome.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Not to mention they made it WORSE when some idiot determined it was safe to make a left onto 235 north from the Sunoco Gas station located on the South side of 235.

A person will put on his turning flashes to make a right hand turn onto Hermanville and some idiot will think he's turning into the gas station so they will pull out right in front of him to go north or south!

IMO the intersection would be much safer if they expanded the Hermanville and Shaw roads by widening (double lanes) and lengthening about 400 ft of L/R exclusive turning lanes with mandatory green arrows. (Flashing green on weekends). Almost every accident to date has been from a car crossing in front of another when the fighter jet drivers are leaving the base!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hermanville Road and Route 235 has had a significant amount of accidents, some serious. It is a traffic controlled intersection.

Has anyone, or do you know of anyone that has had accidents at Hermanville Road and State Route 235 in St. Mary's County? What are your opinions of why these accidents continue to occur and become more and more frequent?

A few weeks ago, a person had to be cut out of his car. He remains in the hospital and will be there for a month more. There is a long list of similar accidents. As a traffic controlled intersection, this should not be occuring. I do know the police will be monitoring it much closer in the very near future.

I would make a couple of suggestions..

Flashing Strobes in the red lights, especially in the North Bound lanes.. Lot of clutter behind the lights, and easy to miss if you aren't paying attention, and if you aren't familiar with Hermanville, and going a little quick.. you don't know the light is there until you are right on top of it.

Longer Yellows, and longer delay between the lights turning red in one direction and turning green in the other.

I think there is a green turn light coming South, but not North(?), if that's the case turn lights on the northbound lanes.

Thinking this through, not sure a longer yellow would suffice.. I THINK what happens is the light turns yellow, and people turning left assume the oncoming traffic is going to stop, so as soon as the light turns they start turning left.. at the same time the oncoming traffice sees the light turn yellow and it's drag race time trying to beat the red light.

Last edited:

Serenity40

I live south of the base and have personally stopped to assist when an idiot pulled right out in front of the vehicle in front of me. We were doing about 50mph and she t-boned him good. I have also witnessed another of those accidents a few cars back. It is always the impatient person that can't wait for oncoming traffic to clear so they turn right in front of the oncoming traffic. They just about have one a week at this intersection and I don't think you can remedy it because people are idiots. Just wait your freakin turn. I don't even usually post comments but I have kids on the road and I panic everytime I hear sirens.

I live in the Greenbriar subdivision which is right off of Hermanville Road and pass through this intersection at least twice daily. I have only been unlucky enough to witness two terrible collisions. Both times the vehicles involved were trying to beat each other through the yellow light and both times it was one turning left in front of the other speeding straight through the intersection. Now, I am niether a city manager nor any kind of traffic pattern planner, but is this problem's solution any more in depth than simple common sense? Really???

Last edited:

edinsomd

I live in the Greenbriar subdivision which is right off of Hermanville Road and pass through this intersection at least twice daily. I have only been unlucky enough to witness two terrible collisions. Both times the vehicles involved were trying to beat each other through the yellow light and both times it was one turning left in front of the other speeding straight through the intersection. Now, I am niether a city manager nor any kind of traffic pattern planner, but is this problem's solution any more in depth than simple common sense? Really???

A thoughtful and rational observation; most likely right, too. You haven't been around here long, have you? :howdy:

glhs837

Power with Control
but is this problem's solution any more in depth than simple common sense? Really???

Ah, theres your problem. You expect thoughtful, thinking drivers. Good luck with that. We dont train them, we dont punish folks who drive poorly, and when they do crash by driving negligently, we find excuses for them.

Also, and this is the dark underbelly of it, we dont ask why folks who were cut off why they couldnt avoid the crash. If more car drivers used the sort of paranoia of motorcycle drivers, expecting the worse from other drivers, we would have fewer accidents. No you shouldnt have to, but as any expereinced biker knows "shouldnt have to" is cold comfort when your in a pile of wreckage.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Straighten the intersection, designated right and left turn lanes from all directions, four way light system with each direction getting it's own cycle, extended red cycle to account for yellow/red light runners.

royhobie

hobieflyer
What Study?

There was a in-depth study done. The causes of the accidents was determined to be more than one vehicle trying to occupy the same point in space at the same time. You are welcome.

I'm on the County Highway Safety Board. Can you tell me what study you are refering to?

royhobie

hobieflyer
All Options Explored

Straighten the intersection, designated right and left turn lanes from all directions, four way light system with each direction getting it's own cycle, extended red cycle to account for yellow/red light runners.

All options to solve this problem must be explored. Right or wrong, they will go with the cheapest solution first.