Hey, Lady!!!! You on the phone.......

BernieP

Resident PIA
Believe it or not, an accident on the Thomas Johnson Bridge will lock up the Great Mills Rd / Rt 5 intersection too.
I believe I mentioned that later on. Poorly designed road system. A couple of former governor who felt if you built a road people would come so planning for growth was out. Most of all a NIMBY attitude.

Saw texting and driving twice on my way to work this morning. Unfortunately, I couldn't sacrifice my morning coffee by throwing it at the offenders because the Navy would suffer for it. :coffee:

We have GOT to find a way to STOP this LIFE THREATENING bad habit. You might as well drink a fifth of Jack Daniels and drive. :mad:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Saw texting and driving twice on my way to work this morning. Unfortunately, I couldn't sacrifice my morning coffee by throwing it at the offenders because the Navy would suffer for it. :coffee:

We have GOT to find a way to STOP this LIFE THREATENING bad habit. You might as well drink a fifth of Jack Daniels and drive. :mad:

I have received extensive training in use of electronic devices while driving, it's a skill that can be acquired through classroom lectures and field training exercises.
Maybe they were in training

:sarcasm:

glhs837

Power with Control
I have received extensive training in use of electronic devices while driving, it's a skill that can be acquired through classroom lectures and field training exercises.
Maybe they were in training

:sarcasm:

Fighter pilots operate comm systems, weapons system, countermeasure systems, in combat, all while still FLYING THE DAMN PLANE!!!!!!! So you are right. It's about task management, a skill that can be learned. But we refuse to teach it, or require folks to learn it. Hell, we barely teach them to drive A to B. Let alone actually drive.

bilbur

Was on my way home from the base yesterday in the lovely stop and go traffic. I was northbound 235 just past Sheetz in the left lane when I noticed a car pulling into my lane. Every time the traffic would move she would come over into my lane further to the point where she was inches from my front bumper. At that point I wish I had a beater car because I would have put a big dent in the side of her POS car. I hate bullies and people like her are just that. Oh and she was also on the phone which is I guess why she couldn't put on a turn signal. The sad thing is if she had of put on a turn signal I would have backed off and let her in with a smile and a wave. With the way she butted in the only wave I gave her was the your number one wave. I guess some people are just special and the world should bow to them.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Fighter pilots operate comm systems, weapons system, countermeasure systems, in combat, all while still FLYING THE DAMN PLANE!!!!!!! So you are right. It's about task management, a skill that can be learned. But we refuse to teach it, or require folks to learn it. Hell, we barely teach them to drive A to B. Let alone actually drive.

Humans don't multi-task. We can switch context. Also we design all those functions so the pilot can keep his eyes out the window and fly. Data and controls are placed so that they can be scanned in the pilot's primary field of view. Many of the controls are on the stick(s) - including throttle.

But yes, texting, talking, chewing, drinking while driving isn't really the issue, it's being distracted. I've seen people so animated in a conversation that was taking place in their car that they had no clue what was going on around them.

I really think the laws were created to appease idiots who believe you can fix distracted driving by banning things and to raise revenue via fines.
Nobody would think to complain about the person who sits for 30 seconds at a green light because they weren't paying attention, but they are clearly not focused on driving.

glhs837

Power with Control
Humans don't multi-task. We can switch context. Also we design all those functions so the pilot can keep his eyes out the window and fly. Data and controls are placed so that they can be scanned in the pilot's primary field of view. Many of the controls are on the stick(s) - including throttle.

But yes, texting, talking, chewing, drinking while driving isn't really the issue, it's being distracted. I've seen people so animated in a conversation that was taking place in their car that they had no clue what was going on around them.

I really think the laws were created to appease idiots who believe you can fix distracted driving by banning things and to raise revenue via fines.
Nobody would think to complain about the person who sits for 30 seconds at a green light because they weren't paying attention, but they are clearly not focused on driving.

I never said they multi-tasked, I said they managed tasks. :)

tblwdc

Hope you felt embarrassed that I actually stopped 20 feet short of the car in front of me at the light so I could be sure you would pull up next to me at the light. You must have, that must be why you stopped 30 feet back from the car in front of you. Or maybe you wanted to be sure you didnt rear end anyone when you came up for air from the cell you were glued to all the way from outbound Gate One to the light at Exploration at at lunch today at 1130. The guy behind me sure figured out I wanted your attention when he honked to get you to raise you head. I had kept you in my scan in my rearview the whole way, and your tires spent more time on the lines on either side of your lane than between them. The guy that honked at the stop light? Yeah, I noticed you went a foot into his lane making him swerve to avoid a crash. thats why when I had your attention, I gave the most polite "Please keep your eyes on the road" gesture I could think of.

I'm sure you are a nice person who really doesn't want to kill anyone and would be heartbroken if you did. Get the hell off your phone, whatever you were texting can wait til you get to BWW or wherever you were going. Or maybe activate the Bluetooth in your car so you can use text to speech. Buy a $30 Bluetooth module that hangs from your rearview. Anything, because if you dont, you ARE going crash at best, kill someone at at worst.

Don't you think it would be more important to pay attention to the road than to other people and what they are doing while they are driving? How are you ANY less distracted watching what other people are doing?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Don't you think it would be more important to pay attention to the road than to other people and what they are doing while they are driving? How are you ANY less distracted watching what other people are doing?

I think you missed OP's reason for this thread. Actually, you did completely. Try reading it again. Just looking out for you; so to speak.

acommondisaster

I may or may not have thrown a Starbucks Frappuccino out the window when the driver was on her cell phone. :whistle: She may or may not have looked shocked and put the phone down long enough to roll her window down and call me a bitch. Mission accomplished. :coffee:

Those damn things are expensive though. :ohwell:

I have always dreamt of doing that. Good job. :)

tblwdc

I think you missed OP's reason for this thread. Actually, you did completely. Try reading it again. Just looking out for you; so to speak.

Really? Is that what you think? Let me see if I got it. He wanted the person who was on their phone not to drive while being on their phone. Is there some other great message you got from it that I missed?

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have always dreamt of doing that. Good job. :)

I don't know about that. My hub was in traffic on 4 @ 231 approaching the light. Someone got pissed at someone and threw a full water bottle out of their window. They missed their target and it hit my hub's windshield, instead. Now, he was pissed. Just sayin'.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Really? Is that what you think? Let me see if I got it. He wanted the person who was on their phone not to drive while being on their phone. Is there some other great message you got from it that I missed?

Yeah, for one glhs said she was crossing the road lines over and over again. Plus, she was stopping an incredible length behind the car in front of her. It is, obvious, to me that she was a traffic risk. Not to mention that it is now against the law to be on a cell phone that is not hands free. Please read his post again. Maybe, you will get the gist. Other than that I cannot help you. Drive safely. :smile:

One more thing. On Monday, I was driving down 4 and was paced with a woman in the left lane almost the whole way. She was on her phone (handheld). No big deal, right? Well, we were approaching the light by the Firehouse and Brick. It was red. I stopped. She went right through it. Lucky for her there was no one pulling out of Sherry Lane. Just an example. That's all.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

What other people ( the greatest source of danger on the roads) are doing is life and death to me. Unless the road is likely to suddenly change what its doing, it requires far less attention than the moving masses of metal and the idiots half piloting them around me. I do pay attention to the road to the extent the road requires it. And the drivers and their vehicles to extent they require it. I saw her all over the lane markings in the regular scan of my mirrors. You know, the scan you are taught in drivers ed? Same sort of scan we teach fighter pilots.

My point was twofold. One is to vent, the other is to raise awareness and get folks thinking about raising the negative social connotations of this behavior. Cant seem to get the law interested in going after it to the level it needs, since they enforce it only when a grant comes along or it's the obvious source of a crash.

glhs837

Power with Control
Someone back in the 70s might have reacted like that if you told them that 30 years later, telling your cowowrkers you drove home drunk from a bar would get folks looking at you like you were an idiot. When cops and citizens react to texting while riving just like drinking while driving, then we might see some change. Would you just drive past someone you saw swigging from a bottle of Jack without taking some action?

BernieP

Resident PIA
..., the other is to raise awareness and get folks thinking about raising the negative social connotations of this behavior. Cant seem to get the law interested in going after it to the level it needs, since they enforce it only when a grant comes along or it's the obvious source of a crash.

The problem you face is that those that drive poorly, the people who actually put themselves and others at risk, don't think they are the problem.
They will rationalize why, what they do, isn't as bad as something else - so go catch them.

Several people shared on Facebook the recent traffic enforcement the Sherriff's office did on 235 with people trying to avoid traffic signals.
There were a fair number of complaints about it, some rationalizing that "what happens if I pulled in and then changed my mind".
To others saying it was "speed" that was the problem.
Speed only increases the damage caused in a collision. It's not the cause of the collision. A true traffic "accident" would be having the vehicle struck by lightning.
Everything that is caused by the action of man is a collision.
Erratic lane changes, failure to yield the right of way, distracted driving, impeding the flow of traffic, are a few of the cause of collisions.
People trying to police the highways by slowing down / stopping short are going to be the cause of the collision, not the person doing 5 to 10 MPH over the speed limit, particularly when 85% of the traffic is doing the same speed.

glhs837

Power with Control
Exactly Bernie. And social drunks never thought they were the problem. The only thing that made that a thing people generally avoided was social opprobrium. Until that same stigma is attached to driving distracted, it will continue to get the lip service from law enforcement and wink and a nod that social DUI used to get.