Hey, Lady!!!! You on the phone.......

vince77

Cops shouldn't need to be staring down everyone they see driving to see what they have in their hands. Design cell phones/vehicles so they don't work when motion exceeds 10 mph.

Cops shouldn't need to be staring down everyone they see driving to see what they have in their hands. Design cell phones/vehicles so they don't work when motion exceeds 10 mph.

Can't do that. Perfectly legal, and not nearly as distracting, to be able to use your cell phone with vehicle-integrated hands-free. Some now even allow text-to-voice conversion without taking your eyes off the road.

glhs837

Power with Control
Can't do that. Perfectly legal, and not nearly as distracting, to be able to use your cell phone with vehicle-integrated hands-free. Some now even allow text-to-voice conversion without taking your eyes off the road.

Wife's Jeep does that. Pretty handy. Before I had to crank up my security settings my Droid Turbo would read my texts to be over the Bluetooth in my helmet. And accept voice replies

Wife's Jeep does that. Pretty handy. Before I had to crank up my security settings my Droid Turbo would read my texts to be over the Bluetooth in my helmet. And accept voice replies

I don't have the text-to-speech option in the truck, but the handsfree cell is very handy. And if you really want, you can get an app (at least for Android) that receives texts, auto-replies with a message of your choice, and after a few seconds reads the message out loud to you. You can't respond, but you know who texted and what they want.

vince77

I'm referring to people texting or holding cell phones up to their ear, which I see all the time, not hands free. The technology has been here for years. And let's start the fines at $500.

PS ....Drivers in Maryland under 18 or those with a provisional license are prohibited from making any type of call while driving, including hands-free calls.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't have the text-to-speech option in the truck, but the handsfree cell is very handy. And if you really want, you can get an app (at least for Android) that receives texts, auto-replies with a message of your choice, and after a few seconds reads the message out loud to you. You can't respond, but you know who texted and what they want.

If you have a relatively new Android phone, you probably have the Assist App that will kick in automatically when you drive.
It answers your calls and text messages automatically and uses voice to read your messages and send a response.
Both that and answering a call are 100% hands free, don't have to pick up the phone, don't need an external device. Phones internal H/W kicks in the speaker phone option.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not sure how many have that built in. But I did find out it wasn't my security settings blocking my replacement Droid Turbo from doing that. Seems there were some settings that were not defaulted on. Got it working so while I'm on the motorcycle, it tells me through my helmet Bluetooth "Text message from Don, do you want to listen to it?" I say yes, and it plays it for me and asks me if I want to respond. I know most modern Motorola phones have that functionality baked right in through the Moto app. But you have to know it's there, seek it out and enable it.

If you have a relatively new Android phone, you probably have the Assist App that will kick in automatically when you drive.
It answers your calls and text messages automatically and uses voice to read your messages and send a response.
Both that and answering a call are 100% hands free, don't have to pick up the phone, don't need an external device. Phones internal H/W kicks in the speaker phone option.

Older version of android, don't have that app. I need to use a 3rd party app.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not sure how many have that built in. But I did find out it wasn't my security settings blocking my replacement Droid Turbo from doing that. Seems there were some settings that were not defaulted on. Got it working so while I'm on the motorcycle, it tells me through my helmet Bluetooth "Text message from Don, do you want to listen to it?" I say yes, and it plays it for me and asks me if I want to respond. I know most modern Motorola phones have that functionality baked right in through the Moto app. But you have to know it's there, seek it out and enable it.

It's the Assist App. And yes, you have to turn it on. I don't have blue tooth (in the vehicle) so it works using the speaker phone. Not much different than Bluetooth.
You can't have a headset in a car. Surprised you can have one on the bike.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's the Assist App. And yes, you have to turn it on. I don't have blue tooth (in the vehicle) so it works using the speaker phone. Not much different than Bluetooth.
You can't have a headset in a car. Surprised you can have one on the bike.

Yeah, Assist, as far as I know, is a Motorola exclusive. I think maybe LG has something like it. But Marshmallow and newer Androids have that functionality built it, called I think Drive Mode, not sure, I don't have Marshmallow. Here's how you find it on a new Moto phone

"In the "Moto" app, tap on the stars in the upper-right hand corner. Chose "Voice," then "Talk to Me." Click the box that tells it to self-enable when Driving"

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/PrintLaws.html

Maybe because hearing is not a huge help on a bike? Not sure, just know it's legal. I also know I cannot listen to music while riding. :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You know, the scan you are taught in drivers ed? Same sort of scan we teach fighter pilots.

I never took drivers ed .... but UPS taught me to constantly scan ...

left mirror
road
[I added rear view mirror for my POV]
right mirror

if you come up on a traffic control device, and you did not SEE it change to green, it is therefore 'stale' and assume it will change yellow to red at any time as you approach it

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Everything that is caused by the action of man is a collision.
Erratic lane changes, failure to yield the right of way, distracted driving, impeding the flow of traffic, are a few of the cause of collisions.