Hey! Who do you think you are?

K

Kain99

likitysplit said:
:bs:

She'll have a little thing we call 'moment of truth' in recruit training. If she's f'd up in any way during her DEP, she can be released but not charged under the UCMJ. This, even IF she has accepted a bonus. My guess is that she has not received any money yet and won't until she gets classified in the program she chose (asssume 6 year program w/24months of school)........am I corrrect on this?

PN2(SW/AW)
HA! Getting valid information that makes any sense at all from this child is like pulling teeth. I guess it's time I sit down with her recruiter and get ALL of the details. :lmao:

somdcrab

stick dis in yo pipe and smoke it))))))))))))))))))))))))D

Kain99 said:
HOLY SHIAT! I am almost totally speechless! I just received an e-mail from one of my daughters teachers. He's upset about an essay she turned in about United States Policy in the Middle East. I thought, all teachers were fricking Liberal! I don't even know what to do. I don't see what she wrote as anti-war at all! Am I wrong?

His E-Mail

Dear Mrs. xxxxxx

Once again, we are dealing with an issue regarding xxxxxx renegade spirit. She is a good student and will always be afforded the ability to express her opinions in class. I have a personal concern. It is my understanding that she is formally a member of the United States Navy. I have a son in the Army and as you are well aware the United States Military does not tolerate insubordination. If she is against the War I suggest she find a more subjective career.

Sincerely,

xx xxxxxxxxxx

Her Thesis Statement which was attached

I have researched U.S. Policy in the Middle East. I am a Republican and love my country but somehow, Our Policy in the Middle East, seems shallow and poorly thought out. Basically, in a nut shell, America thinks that everyone should live just like we do. In a perfect world that would be nice but get real! Because of our position in Israel The Middle East hates us! Can a country who is despised and hated truly bring about permanent, positive change? I understand and agree that these people live in horrible conditions and are mistreated by their governments but that doesn’t change the facts. We can’t kill everybody, so we have a real problem on our hands! It was wonderful and uplifting to see the footage from the recent Iraqi elections, their cute purple fingers and big smiles but we have to face facts. Once America leaves the region and we eventually will, tyranny will once again rear it’s ugly head and the people will be right back at square one. If we want to make a powerful and lasting change in this region we must be willing to meet them halfway.
Dats right!!!!!! does da teach wear a turban?????? :boxing:

likitysplit

Kain99 said:
HA! Getting valid information that makes any sense at all from this child is like pulling teeth. I guess it's time I sit down with her recruiter and get ALL of the details. :lmao:

On second thought........don't say a word to her. Let her company commander Pat, a retired gym teacher, show her how to straighten up. Believe me Kain, I'f I'm hearing you correctly, this is the best move she can make. She'll be so grateful and looking back will laugh at herself for being, well, seventeen.

Just make sure you send her some Skoal in a letter to boot camp. A little nic goes a long way in bootcamp. (<----assuming she likes the boys)(if she likes the girls then hell, she'll have a ball)(hopefully not the latter)(I do not mean this in a disrespectful manner at all)

Hell, she'll be talking like this after boot camp too. While showing you how she learned to pee across the shower room while standing on her hands!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
pvineswinger said:
:yeahthat:
And Delayed Enlistment is considered "formally" a member?
So she is subject to the UCMJ in high school, even before going to boot camp and knowing what is IN the UCMJ?
:confused:
Really? Entrance into the delayed enlistment program makes one an inactive reservist until such time as they report for induction into the regular component and therefore IAW USC Title 10, Section 802, paragraph (a)(3), she would only be subject to the UCMJ while on inactive-duty training. As little Miss Kain is not in training at this time she is not subject to the code.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
KayPee said:
There is nothing in the UCMJ that keeps a military member from expressing their opinion in a school assignment even if it is critical of the current administration's position. Respectfully disagreeing with a government policy is not illegal under the UCMJ and will not prevent her from being successful in the military. She will just have to diligently carry out orders and execute policies that she doesn't agree with. Happens all of the time.
I never said there was anything in the UCMJ that prevents her from expressing her opinion- but there ARE regulations against making disparaging remarks against superior officers (the Commander In Chief being a superior officer.) And who dictates our foreign policy?
"Disparaging" is open to interpretation, also. :yay:
I actually didn't think there was anything wrong (or disparaging) with the thesis, I was just questioning the teacher's comment about her "formally" being a member of the armed services. Since when does a student's career choice influence a teacher's critique of an assignment?

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Ken King said:
Really? Entrance into the delayed enlistment program makes one an inactive reservist until such time as they report for induction into the regular component and therefore IAW USC Title 10, Section 802, paragraph (a)(3), she would only be subject to the UCMJ while on inactive-duty training. As little Miss Kain is not in training at this time she is not subject to the code.
That's what I've been trying to say!! And do you consider someone "formally" a member if they aren't subject the the UCMJ?

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
likitysplit said:
:bs:

Uncle Sam owns her opinions once she dons the uniform. Make sure she understands that. If she doesn't, recommend she find an alternative choice to the military.

PN2(SW/AW)
I don't necessarily agree that Uncle Sam owns her opinion- but he sure does own her right to express it.

likitysplit

Ken King said:

I already said that..........

Thanks Ken........

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Kain99 said:
I guess it's time I sit down with her recruiter and get ALL of the details. :lmao:
Now that right there is the funniest thing I've ever read. :roflmao: If recruiters told prospective enlistees everything, they'd never make their quotas. :lmao:

Ken King

PREMO Member
She is "formally" a member of the ready reserve for the Navy and as such she is subject to immediate call to active duty.

As to her thoughts and opinions, they are hers and are not owned by anyone other than her, though there are and will be times and places when her opinion would be inappropriate and/or could be construed to be a violation of other articles within the UCMJ or encompassed by Article 134 (generally referred to as the "catch-all" article). Of course there is always non-judicial punishment that one must contend with where it can take a lot less then a violation of a specific article, law, rule or regulation to get you into hot water and is a heck of a lot more subjective in nature.

Bottom line is that her essay or term-paper isn’t something that she needs to worry about as causing her trouble with the military at this point and her teacher should not make statements like he has as it is obvious that he is clueless with regard towards the military (other than being a parent of an active member).

Ken King

PREMO Member
crabcake said:
Now that right there is the funniest thing I've ever read. :roflmao: If recruiters told prospective enlistees everything, they'd never make their quotas. :lmao:
:yeahthat: Ain't that the truth, and never select a career field that has all sorts of stars, highlights, or markings in their classification manual or you might just end up on a mountain top in some frozen God-forsaken place.