Holy chit!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pictures from that entire region are being posted...total devastation in so many places.

Hijinx

It's a fricking hurricane. They do damage, they cause flooding, the wind is devastating.
If you are in the path you feel the results.

Reactions: BOP

TPD

the poor dad
but wait - I thought the 20ft storm surge (which I don't think happened - 9' was the most I saw on TWC) was supposed to be unsurvivable AND devastating in FLORIDA...

WingsOfGold

Traveled that route many times from Duffield to Cherokee. WOW
Here in central Fl......... no more than a Nor'easter but warm.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but wait - I thought the 20ft storm surge (which I don't think happened - 9' was the most I saw on TWC) was supposed to be unsurvivable AND devastating in FLORIDA...

I'm pretty sure most of those people evacuated. Not only was it mandatory - which means nothing - but Adalia was just a year ago and no doubt any would-be stragglers remember it well.

But I get and agree with your point - the weather tards need to stop with the hysterical language.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Wondering when a gaggle of politicians will start forming lines for media interviews promising billions to repair the damaged infrastructure? Ooops. So sorry. All the hundreds of billions necessary have already been spent and given to Ukraine and Israel to continue to save and spread "democracy" and genocide to those regions. Those affected by the hurricane will be on their own. Once again, American's lose out.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🌪️🌪️ Category 4 Hurricane Helene raced right into the Sunshine State’s armpit around 11pm Thursday night, about 10 miles west of sleepy Perry, Florida and just 100 miles from where I live in Gainesville. Then the storm shot, as though fired from a cannon, tearing across several southern states and wreaking havoc as far north as Tennesee, collapsing interstates, opening sinkholes, overwhelming dams, spawning tornadoes, tumbling rockslides, washing cars and homes away, and wiping some small towns completely off the map. The New York Times ran one of the many stories headlined, “Destruction Spreads Across Southeast as Helene Spawns Floods and Landslides.

image 3.png

Florida was hit hard, but was at least well prepared, and is run by one of the most successful hurricane-managing governors in history. The states north of Florida, which aren’t used to hurricane force weather, struggled mightily. In Atlanta, flood waters rose so fast one Fox weatherman had to stop in the middle of a live broadcast to save a woman trapped in a car:

image 4.png

CLIP: Bob Dan Villen’s heartwarming live rescue on Fox (3:12).

Even further north in Asheville, beloved landmarks like the Biltmore Village were underwater. Northern Georgia and Tennessee saw vast areas of flooding from rain, rising rivers, rockslides. The flooding didn’t just waterlog everything, it became a powerful destructive force, showing us how easily nature brushes aside our great works.

I-40, a main East-West corridor in the Blue Ridge area crossing eight states, washed out in multiple spots, and is now closed indefinitely:

image 5.png

North Carolina DOT said I-40 was closed in multiple locations between Asheville and eastern Tennessee due to washouts and debris. I-40 Eastbound dramatically collapsed into the Pigeon River Gorge. Smaller roads and connecting highways also collapsed. Like Highway 105 in Watuga County:

image 6.png

Many of these highways run through mountainous terrain and there aren’t easy alternative routes to get from one place to another. I can only imagine how fouled the traffic must be in the Carolinas and Eastern Tennessee right now. Ask yourself: when was the last time you saw anything similar to this remarkable NC DOT advisory:

image 8.png

All roads. All. Now what? Here’s what the NC Road Closures map looked like yesterday:

From Florida to Tennessee, there were too many scenes of individual drama to report. In one thrilling rescue operation, authorities airlifted about 40 stranded medical workers off the roof of a flooding hospital in Erwin, Tennessee. The waters were too rough for a boat rescue:

image 7.png

The video from the helicopter is rather impressive. To give you an idea of the scale of relief operations, the Tampa Bay Times ran a story last night headlined, “Tampa Bay saw more than 1,000 rescues during Hurricane Helene.” That's just from one city.

Sadly, various media report the death toll is up to 44. One man was killed while driving down I-4 in Northwest Florida during the hurricane, which is a very Florida Man thing to do. Alas, he was crushed by a traffic sign. The reports did not disclose what the sign said. Maybe “Heaven, next exit.”

Record flooding is happening worldwide, and seems related to the massive amount of extra water in the atmosphere that I reported on back in July of 2023 (“Overheated”), and to all the extra solar energy we’ve been getting lately. If you prefer to chew on some insightful conspiracy theories about the hurricane, I recommend In2ThinAir.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
I'm waiting for the News Media and Progressive;

' Climate Change Denying Trumpers got what they deserved '

I'm waiting for the Katrina type response from the flying-overhead-witnessing-the-devastation politicians. As well as FEMA having 24/7 coverage and updates saying how they are doing everything possible to help and assist those people. And for 'Ole Peter piping Pete to address how his Department of Transportation is going to address rebuilding those roads and highways.

Or is the thought that because it mostly conservative country, ehh, they can take care of themselves?