Horse Manure on Trails

poster

My boyfriend rants and raves about horse poop on trails. He claims it taints the water supply for backpackers. Not really sure how to respond to that, other than sorry?

I would be interested to hear opinions on this.

Tell him no more that the cows over the hill that are standing in chest deep water to cool off in the summer heat just up stream from where he's backpacking.

poster

I thought horse trails were marked as such. Meaning there are trails available that horses are not permitted on. If that is the case then where is the problem?

CountryLady

luvmyponies
LEST WE FORGET, More than 90 percent of the paths/trails are here because of cows and horses in the first place.

I think it is of the same mentality that comes from something that my old neighbor used to say. Goes something like this: "City folks like living like the country folks, so they move out to the country (because it is nice quiet, natural living).....But when they get here, the city folks try to change how the country folks live!"

ALL OF A SUDDEN, it is no longer appropriate for country folks to use trails the way they were meant to be used. ANYBODY AGREE?

ElliesMom

Poop happens, I do however feel really bad when my horse pees at a moments notice and I see a biker nearing the recent puddle. (Sorry mountain bikers) Horse poop usually doesnt splatter or stick, just flattens out.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Maybe somebody needs to read The Little Book of Horse Poop or perhaps a Horsepoop Clock or crappy nightshirt?

Farriers' / Hoofprints Sleepwear & Slippers

:lol:

TRUE STATEMENT:
"City folk pay to go to the gym. I can clean stalls for free! It's a great fitness workout routine - 7 days a week."

Most of us can add to that, putting up and putting out hundreds of bales of Hay. Loading and unloading hundreds of bags of grain. And not to mention chasing after an occasional loose horse. :jameo: or the one that hates to be wormed!:whistle:

I don't know if I'd call it "for free" though, but at least there is a point to it!!!!

chzburger

Courtesy 101

CountryLady,

As an avid mountain biker and trail runner, I yield the trail to horses each and everytime I encounter them. As a member of my community, I yield the trail with courtesy and friendliness for the safety and enjoyment of the rider and horse. I approach the horses slowly, calling out to let them know I'm there and stopping until the riders let me how they want to proceed. Sometimes, they move off the trail while I pass and other times, I move off the trail and wait until they pass. In some cases, I've waited 5 - 10 minutes while the riders get their skittish animals under control and move off. I really don't mind. I happen to like horses.

So, as a courtesy to all the users of public, multi-use trails, please reciprocate the courtesy extended to you and take a few minutes out of your ride to kick your horses sh$t off the trail.

Robin

CountryLady,

As an avid mountain biker and trail runner, I yield the trail to horses each and everytime I encounter them. As a member of my community, I yield the trail with courtesy and friendliness for the safety and enjoyment of the rider and horse. I approach the horses slowly, calling out to let them know I'm there and stopping until the riders let me how they want to proceed. Sometimes, they move off the trail while I pass and other times, I move off the trail and wait until they pass. In some cases, I've waited 5 - 10 minutes while the riders get their skittish animals under control and move off. I really don't mind. I happen to like horses.

So, as a courtesy to all the users of public, multi-use trails, please reciprocate the courtesy extended to you and take a few minutes out of your ride to kick your horses sh$t off the trail.

amen to that! I have had to dismount many times to push piles off the trail.
This is a common courtesy to others that use the trail. This also shows others that you are trail friendly with securing the option of horses being allowed to continue use of these wonderful rights and privilege's. Not all public parks allow horses and with all the growth to land for developement why ruin it?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
This is a common courtesy to others that use the trail. This also shows others that you are trail friendly with securing the option of horses being allowed to continue use of these wonderful rights and privilege's. Not all public parks allow horses and with all the growth to land for developement why ruin it?

This thread reminds me of a nice package I received from my neighbor! My kids were so excited to see this box at our mailbox so they ran to open it and it was full of horseshait!! Dumb arse forgot to take his address label off so I took the package back to him as a friendly neighborly gesture and let him know his package was accidently delivered to my house. Needless to say we exchanged some nice words and I left him with the shiat....Jerk just assumed it was from my horses. Last week I got a call from another neighbor biatching about crap at the end of her driveway, not my shiat either!! Just thought I[d share my shiatty story. :buddies:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!

Do you :cool: while on horseback?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Do you :cool: while on horseback?

We were at a local parade on Saturday and a bunch of the Texas trail rider groups were there. I can't believe how many people were smoking on horseback! In a parade! I must say it looked a lot more natural in the full western regalia a lot of them were wearing than it would have if they had been all kitted out in English attire. :lol:

fredsaid2

We were at a local parade on Saturday and a bunch of the Texas trail rider groups were there. I can't believe how many people were smoking on horseback! In a parade! I must say it looked a lot more natural in the full western regalia a lot of them were wearing than it would have if they had been all kitted out in English attire. :lol:

My dear, when Robin rides huntseat she uses a cigarette holder! :lol:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
My horses wrinkle up their lips, drop their head, shake it, snort and blow out their noses at the smell. :dead:

Is the stuff left over from the ciggie biodegradable like horse poop? I'm sorry, I don't smoke so i don't know what that is made of.

Last edited: