Horses I bred being auctioned off....

G

GVF

I just received a email saying:

Hello, I am forwarding a mess from XXXX XXXX re this sale:
XXXX at XXXX has to auction 4 horses that a boarder left at her barn. There are 2 mares and their babies – about 18 months and 2 yrs. One is by XXXX, and both came from XXXX. The owner left her w/several months board due, along with some medical bills during their stay, and she has to try to get back some of her expenses. She didn’t want to auction them, and has tried to figure a way to keep them at the barn, but she can’t use the horses and can’t absorb the costs any longer. Her attorney said that this is the only way she can be unencumbered. The auction is on September 6, at 4:00. Please pass this along to anyone on your e-mail list, and any others that might have an interest. I don’t know how likely it would be that the meat man would show up at something like this, but I hate to think of that happening.

I sold this woman the one mare in foal and am devastated to hear this. I will be at the auction with a small amount of free funds to do my best in recovering the mare/resulting foal I sold. I had to ask this boarder leave as well because of the same reasons.

One foal is by my stallion. I sold the one mare in foal to this lady and the mare produced a colt. This is the reason I would like to see about getting back the one mare/resulting foal back, but I am still recooping from medical bills from my successful breast cancer treatment. I will go with the little I have in savings.. and pray I can get them back

I am SICK to hear about this. The mare is VERY sentimental to me as her dam was one of my foundation mares started breeding with LONG ago. I would hate to see this mare get into the wrong hands again and would love to have her home back here for life. I was on the fence about selling her in the first place!!!

My medical bills just do not leave me with a ton of free $ to bid on them right this second and I don't know what kind of other means I have to get them back. I did write in my contract if they could not longer be cared for, or wanted, I wanted first right of refusal. I have not been contacted by the lady about this though.

Any other ideas for me on what to do?? Anyone else dealt with a situation like this??

Thank you to anyone with ideas for me.

Sparks

Don't really have any ideas for you but sorry to hear this. I hope you're able to get them back.

Robin

If you really want these horses back you might want to take the letter to the current boarding barn and talk with them. You could offer what you have and the remainder in payments to the remaining fees owed to the barn owner. I believe they can only sell them for the price of the fees owed them by the boarder/owner of said horses. It never hurts to try. Good Luck

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
If you really want these horses back you might want to take the letter to the current boarding barn and talk with them. You could offer what you have and the remainder in payments to the remaining fees owed to the barn owner. I believe they can only sell them for the price of the fees owed them by the boarder/owner of said horses. It never hurts to try. Good Luck

Yeah Robin has a great idea...you will be alot better off dealing with her..good luck..keep us posted..

G

GVF

I finally got a hold of the barn owner this afternoon. The back board on all 4 horses is 9K. This barn owner called me about 4-5 months ago and asked about getting ahold of the owner, if I had problems getting money out of her when she boarded with me. She wanted money for them then. Fast forward to today when I spoke with her: She said she offered them to me back then for FREE. HUH NO YOU DIDN'T!! I told her I would have taken then back in a heartbeat. I am SO MAD right now you have NO IDEA!!

I told her I had a first right of refusal agreement and asked it I might be able to buy them for each of the 2 horses I bred back board... she has to call and ask the lawyer. Still, I don't have $4,500 just laying around. I have about $500 free and then some very generous people have donated up to $650 as of right now. $1,150 is nowhere close to paying off the board on them. I had no clue the board was that high.

So, I don't know what to do. Just go to the auction and pray I get enough scraped together by then to get them back??? The two I bred are the ones everyone is interested in (of course!), but I don't want them to get into the wrong hands, and at this type of absolute auction, who knows who could end up with them.

I am so SICK over this! Sorry to vent... but I just need input. I have never dealt with something like this before.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
So sorry to hear that! What an awful situation... :dead: I hope everything works out for the better.

devinej

sorry to hear about your trouble, must be horrible to know you own "children" are up for grabs..

when you say "wrong hands" - what are you afraid of? meat guys? yahoos? or someone specific who is interested in them?

can't the woman take legal action against the owner? send out the collection service or something? go find her and drag her to court?
Crazy that she let it add up to that amount, good god...

Robin

I finally got a hold of the barn owner this afternoon. The back board on all 4 horses is 9K. This barn owner called me about 4-5 months ago and asked about getting ahold of the owner, if I had problems getting money out of her when she boarded with me. She wanted money for them then. Fast forward to today when I spoke with her: She said she offered them to me back then for FREE. HUH NO YOU DIDN'T!! I told her I would have taken then back in a heartbeat. I am SO MAD right now you have NO IDEA!!

I told her I had a first right of refusal agreement and asked it I might be able to buy them for each of the 2 horses I bred back board... she has to call and ask the lawyer. Still, I don't have $4,500 just laying around. I have about $500 free and then some very generous people have donated up to $650 as of right now. $1,150 is nowhere close to paying off the board on them. I had no clue the board was that high.

So, I don't know what to do. Just go to the auction and pray I get enough scraped together by then to get them back??? The two I bred are the ones everyone is interested in (of course!), but I don't want them to get into the wrong hands, and at this type of absolute auction, who knows who could end up with them.

I am so SICK over this! Sorry to vent... but I just need input. I have never dealt with something like this before.

I believe the lady owner of the barn is just very mad about the money because she let it go too high with out the funds to recover. I believe unless these are exceptional horses and the high bidders go to this auction she will not get that much for all of them. I could be wrong but the market is unpredictable. just for her to break even $2500.00 a horse. If all else fails just go to the auction but dont bid until bidding slows down. better chance then not in the heat of it rising in fury. Good luck I hope things work out.

Robin

sorry to hear about your trouble, must be horrible to know you own "children" are up for grabs..

when you say "wrong hands" - what are you afraid of? meat guys? yahoos? or someone specific who is interested in them?

can't the woman take legal action against the owner? send out the collection service or something? go find her and drag her to court?
Crazy that she let it add up to that amount, good god...

I believe there must be a judgement in place for an auction to take place. The barn has a right to do this if board has not been paid. bad circumstances.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Let them go to auction...you will get them alot cheaper...where are they going? Did you see the last New Holland report?? LOW LOW..

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Funny thing when they advetised the auction, they said "Paints". I thought that they might be one of GVF's old borders because i heard they moved the horses over there. They didnt advertise it well enough,because they are WAY better then just "paints" i was thinking about going to see what they would bring... I know for a fact the board at that barn ( the one selling them )is $450 a month.
GVF i hope you get them back, they are too sweet to go in the wrong hands.

spellbound

Isn't the boarding facility required to take legal proceedings to acquire a "lean" on the animals before they can claim them as their own (and before they can sell them)?
Sorry, I don't know the right verbage.

Robin

Does not take much to get a lean for non payment of horse boarding. The barn owner can do this very easily. It seems she may have listen to the moaning and groaning of the boarder promising to pay the back board long enough. Good for her. The owner of the facility is out $$$$$$$$$. This truely is unfair, I :buddies: the Facility owner for taking these measures. You can not stay in business long with dead beat horse boarding owners. Its just a shame the boarder did not contact the previous owner sooner to give her the opportunity to bail the horses out of this situation.

Like Paso said go to the auction, but wait to bid to see how quick the price rises. Might be in your favor. You might be able to get them cheaper than 9000.00 back board if you truely want them. If you own your property take out a small improvement mortage at your bank. just a thought.

bosox

If we are talking about 2 horses...9 k is a long time of waiting for board. 10 months....so the barn owner waited too long to start this process. Why wait so long? You know after the 2nd month that it is going to come (auction/lien)esp if the owner when MIA.

Also, if this is PG county I believe that they have to also put notice in the paper. So make sure that everything has been done correctly. You don't want the owner to be able to get them back from you b/c it was done wrong on the BO's part.

Sorry you have to go through this.

covekat

Is the auction taking place at the farm where the horses are?

If it's not widely advertised I cant see there being a ton of people there. I think you could buy them back pretty cheap...The market is very weak, (as you know)... two mares and two babies probably wont bring much anyway...I dont think the barn owner will even get close to what she has put into them.

This is really a shame for all involved, by the way I think your stallion is stunning... and I would be interested in going out and looking at the babies.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
#1(T) - 12 year old grade sorrel gelding - "broke for anyone", he was tall and lanky, but toed in in the front. $400 sold

#2(T) - 5 yr old bay roan mare - grade - ridden in - little thin. Bid to $375 - no sale needed $500

#3(T) - 9 or 10 yr old chestnut pony gelding. He was cute! Broke to ride and drive - had spent time with the amish, direct reined only. Bid to $350 - no sale

#4 - 11 yr old palomino AQHA mare with papers. Said she had been broke to ride at one time, but had been just a broodmare for quite some time. They led her in, she was open and needed hoof care. Bid to $375 - no sale

#5 - 3 yr old pinto mini mare, broke to drive - anyone could drive her but they led her in. $65 sold

#6(T) - 2 yr old AQHA blue roan gelding - Sonny Dee Bar on his papers. They rode him in in a halter and lead rope bareback, said it was only the second time he'd been sat on(I call BS). He was cute headed, long backed and quiet. $500 sold

#7(T) - 6 yr old Grade QH bay roan gelding. He was thin and lame but they rode him in. $200 sold

#8(T) - 7 yr old Haflinger gelding. FAT & CUTE! Rode well, supposed to be broke to drive too. Not registered. $775 (high seller of the night)

#9 - yearling bay AQHA stud colt....FUGLY and SO cowhocked, thin. Leaguer & Barpasser lines on papers. $30 sold (with papers folks)

#10(T) - 5 yr old POA gelding. Had been shown, didn't like to be ridden double or spurs, but rode quiet single without spurs. CUTE. No papers. Bid to $350 no sale

#11 - weanling mini filly, they called her palomino, she was really going to be chestnut. Drug her around the arena by her halter and a rope looped under and around her tail...poor thing. She was so fugly she was cute. $90 sold

#12 - 19 yr old TWH chestnut mare. No papers(but he had them and if you wanted them after you bought her you could talk to him about getting them - for a fee I am sure) She was broke to ride as a 4 yr old but he led her in saying she hadn't been ridden since. She was in good flesh and shiney. $190 sold.

#13 - 2 yr old bay BS Paint filly. She had Impressive lines, and had not been tested. Had papers. She had been shown as a weanling, won money in futurity, and earned some points?? She was a drop off. $175 sold (trader bought her)

#14 - yearling buckskin BS Paint filly with papers. FUGLY and THIN. $35 sold . (FHOTD in: Pictured. But you know, the world is still full of dumb ####s who think anything colored will sell. Yeah, for $35 to kill. )

#15(T) - 8 yr old chestnut TWH gelding, no papers. Ridden in - hot but gaited well. $335

#16 - 5 yr old chestnut half arab mare with papers. Broke to ride, cute. Bid to $300 no sale.

#17 - 9 yr old chestnut AQHA mare with papers. Continental, Triple Chick, Winchester lines. Led in, moved funny in the hind, supposed to be broke to drive and had spent time with the amish. $275 sold

#18 - Black yearling BS paint stud colt with papers. FUGLY and THIN. $15 sold.....they begged for a bid.

#19 - Yearling paint stud colt. Had color, but NO papers. THIN THIN and FUGLY. $20

#20(T) - grade chestnut gelding first they said he was 15 then they said he was 12. Who KNOWS. Did neck rein well, was HOT and didn't stand still at all. Supposed to be a good roping horse, but they didn't throw a rope off of him. Bid to $250 no sale

#21(T) - grade crossbred chestnut gelding(didn't give age, did give cross - I would guess late teens, QH/ Belgian cross) He had a huge head but was quiet and slow and sound. $675 sold

#22 - 14 yr old hackney mare(cob tail). She was so thin, needed hoof care immediately, and was fugly on top of it. I felt bad for her (we have a hackney mare so I have a soft spot). She was supposedly broke to ride and drive and had been a 4 H project but they led her in. $25 sold

#23 - 3 yr old jenny donkey black. Had been used to halter break colts. She was halter broke and quiet. Bid to $45 no sale he needed $90.

#24(T) - 6 yr old sorrel pony mare. Broke to ride and drive. $325 sold.

#25(T) - 4 yr old gray grade mare - QH type - she was quiet. NOT broke but "family gentle" - his words. She would have been a great project, she was cute and not badly put together. $200 sold

#26 - 5 yr old paint jenny donkey - she had some horrible skin condition on her nose poor thing. According to her owner he knew she was bred becasue "he had seen the colt move". OK..... She was not halter broke, they chased her in and out. $45 sold

#27 - 11 yr old registered Paint mare. Bay with a belly spot. She was LAME! In good flesh, and ridden in - which she shouldn't have been. $300 sold

#28 - 3 yr old bay unbroke grade gelding. He really wasn't even halter broke but they "led" him in. $175 sold

#29 - 8 yr old pinto pony mare with a mule foal at her side. The foal was DARLING and the pony wasn't too bad either. The guy bought the pony for his kids at a different sale the beginning of June, didn't know the pony was bred, and the next day he went out to find the mule foal by her side. His kids can't ride her with a foal, so he got them another pony and brought these two in. Pony was broke to ride, they couldn't touch her foal. Sold as a package for $200.

#30 - 3 yr old paint gelding - no papers, "real good green broke" was the description the owner gave. He had a cut on his hind leg and was lame on it. Bid to $125 no saled he needed at least $300.

#31 - 5 yr old larger bay grade pony mare (fugly) and her 2 yr old stud colt beside her(fuglier) who's sire was a saddlebred. They rode the mare bareback with a halter and lead but didn't touch the colt. Sold as a package for $100.

#32 - 12 yr old half arab chestnut mare. Rode ok, couldn't get a bid on her.

#33, 34 & 35 were yearling and 2 yr old stud colts they ran in together. No halters. They were thin, but not bad, well except for the paint.

#33 - yearling AQHA stud colt, bay. Papers had Poco Bueno and Mr Joe Glo on them. He was the bargain of the night IMO. He was cute headed and not badly put together. Sold with papers for $70.

#34 - yearling BS Paint stud colt, bay. Not as nice as the QH but not horrible. Docalena on his papers. Sold with papers for $40.

#35 - 2 yr old paint stud colt, nasty injury to his hind leg, and he was lame on it. He was thin and he was fugly and I felt so sorry for him. He had Blue Max on his papers. He sold with papers for $20, to a gal who felt sorrier for him than me to "just give him a home". (PICTURED)

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Auction Report - Maryland
Very good auction report - thank you for sending this! If you're thinking about breeding, read this first. Is what you're going to breed really not going to wind up here? Remember, this is the EXPENSIVE side of the country! And those of you who defend your damn breeding of grade horses 'til the cows come home, look at the prices the grades went for. I rest my $!&$!& case. I bolded the grade horses if you want to skip through and mentally figure out the median price of a grade horse ... pretty scary.

From here on out, this is written by the person who submitted it...

Auction Report for Thurmont, Maryland on Friday, June 6 2008.

Minis / Ponies:
2 – Mini stud, pinto, thin - $90
4 – Mini mare, bay, thin, shaggy clumps of coat hanging off her - $150
3 – Mini mare, reg’d, 1987 model, white-gray, drives, 3 week old foal at side - $385
5 – Mini mare, sorrel, very pretty, triple reg’d, ch lines, “open” - No Sale @ $310
6 – Medium pony mare, grade, black, child rode through - $150
7 – Large pony gelding, reg’d POA, 8yo, super cute!! – NS @ $950, wanted $1200
8 – Small/medium pony gelding, grade leopard app, cute - $400
9 – Medium pony mare, grade, white-gray, hot & fast, gamer - $500
10 – Medium pony mare, grade, 10yo, pinto mostly white - $150
11 – Small pony mare, grade, 10yo, led thru but sup. broke, 2 mo filly at side, ch/wh pintos, cute - $450
12 – Large pony gelding, chestnut, grade, very cute, calm, “lesson pony,” ridden Eng / jumped - $435
13 – Medium pony mare, chocolate/flaxen w/ roaning, cute, grade, 10yo, in foal - $425
14 – Medium pony gelding, grade, 9yo, bay, fit, pretty and refined but coarse head - $110
16 – Mini mare, small child rode through w/halter, shaggy, silver-chocolate/flaxen, looked foundered - $150
17 – Medium pony mare, reg’d POA, “As-is,” red roan, small feet, well trained - $135
18 – Medium pony mare, “too much horse for my 5 year old,” super cute liver ch/flaxen, grade - $60
19 – Mini “stud colt” 2yo, thin, palomino, really long toes, tried to rear up on handler! - $60
20 – Medium pony gelding, grade, 9yo pinto, dirty, long toes, plain head but cute – NS @ $110, wanted $300

Horses and a Mule:
25 – 15.2 2002 mare, ch/white overo reg’d APHA, has 2 WP points, cute, clean X-rays – NS @ $1700
26 – 15.3 2001 reg’d QH gelding, bay, NICE horse, HYPP N/N, super well trained – NS @ 3500 wanted $4000
27 – 15.1 1994 mare, reg’d QH, sorrel, tiny feet, sold w/ papers but no transfer (?) - $675
28 – 15.1 1999 gelding, reg’d solid app, chestnut 2 front socks, ridden by child – NS @ $1400
30 – 14.3 2yo grade stallion, black/brown, led thru, stepped on owner in flip-flops J - $25 (yes… $25)
31 – 14.3 2yo grade stallion, chestnut, very pretty, lofty prancing trot, very cute - $80
29 – 15.2 1998 reg’d APHA gelding, gray/white, ridden west. but looked like an Eng. mover – NS @ $1200
32 – 15.2 1996 red dun QH, nose rubbed raw, nice build, seemed well trained and calm - $2500
33 – 15h grade QH gelding, gorgeous body but calf knees, led thru, supposedly broke, “cow bred” - $385
34 – 15.2 2002 reg’d Friesian/TB sport horse mare, bay, cute, slightly posty back legs – NS @ $1200
35 – 15.1 2005 reg’d QH mare, black, glossy, beautiful, petite, well trained for WP in snaffle – NS @ $1000
36 – 15.1 4yo grade (full sib to #33) gelding, sorrel/flaxen, led thru, supposedly broke, “cow bred” - $360
37 – 15.2 2003 reg’d gelding, grulla/white tobiano, pretty WP horse, small feet – NS @ $2400 wanted $3000
38 – 15.1 7yo reg’d APHA gelding, stock/ranch build, mostly white, great hip and shoulder – NS @ $1500
39 – 14.3 2001 reg’d pinto gelding, chestnut/white tobiano, little skittish - $400
40 – 16.1 1998 reg’d grey/black points gelding, looks like a TB, well trained, child rode thru – NS @ $1800
41 – 15h 1997 QH mare, black, NRHA points, very cute, spins/stops well, super compact build – NS @ $3800
43 – 15.1 2002 reg’d QH bay gelding, HYPP N/N, photos of horse eventing, cute – NS @ $900 wanted $1500
44 – 15h reg’d QH strawberry roan w/4 socks and blaze, overbite, balky, whipped a lot with reins - $475
45 – 15h 5yo reg’d APHA, cutting horse, bay tobiano, good build but straight(ish) shoulder – $3400
46 – 15.1 2003 reg’d QH, poor skinny sorrel, nervous, led thru but supposedly broke, clean/groomed - $160
50 – 15.2 fugly grade bay pinto, tovero, RF toed in horribly, 2 small kids rode through (no helmets) - $675
47 – 15.1 4yo reg’d APHA cute mare w/7 halter pts, bay w/belly spot and chrome, well started – NS @ $2000
53 – 15h 1993 reg’d TWH mare, black w/hind socks, kids slid all over rump and yanked tail - $800
49 – 15.1 7yr reg’d QH mare, black w/star, reiner, a little green but pretty – NS @ $2300
57 – 15.1 1993 reg’d Standardbred gelding, bay no white, trotter, short steep croup, led thru, “As-is” - $235
74 – 15h 5yo grade pinto gelding, overo, black with some roaning, average build, green broke - $200
51 – 15.2 reg’d QH, red dun, good build but straight shoulder, big solid muscled mare, well trained - $2400
59 – 16.1 2004 TB unraced gelding, bay, cute front but flat short croup, sound on old bows, sweet face - $400
55 – 15.2 1999 reg’d Appendix mare, sorrel, HYPP N/N, bay/white tobiano foal at side – NS @ $1400
54 – 15.2 5yo reg’d QH mare, chestnut, WP trained well but built like stock horse, “no Impressive” - $2100
61 – 16h 9yo poor skinny rough-coated TB mare, ribby/wormy but nice conformation - $175 (good home) FHOTD in: Thank you for noting that. I would have been upset about her.
56 – 15h 6yo reg’d QH gelding, black, no white, good build, W-W brand on left hip - $2500
66 – 15.1 1996 reg’d solid paint gelding, sorrel, paddled, small feet – NS @ $550 wanted $800
58 – 16h 6yo reg’d QH gelding, sorrel, cute, horse acted up and was NS by owner before bidding could start.
68 – 14.3 grade QH palomino trail horse, polished up, balky, plain head - $800
69 – 16.2 10yo Appendix gelding, gray, 3’ fences w/ auto changes, nice mover, ridden by child - $1650
60 – 15h reg’d solid paint mare, black, low front socks, good feet – NS @ $1500
70 – 16.1 reg’d TWH, big grulla gelding, well trained, calm – NS @ 2900 wanted $3500
62 – 14.3 6yo reg’d QH mare, palomino, petite, cutting lines, “bred last week, sells with LFG!” – NS @ $1400
71 – 14.3 15yo grade sorrel kids’ mare, “go anywhere do anything,” maybe just fat but looked in foal - $400 72 – 15.3 5yo Appendix, sorrel, looked very TB, well trained, child rode thru – NS @ $1800 wanted $2500
64 – 15.2 10yo reg’d solid paint, sorrel with 4 high whites and blaze, super cute – NS @ 2500 wanted $2800
75 – 15.1 1997 bay QH gelding, “lost the papers,” plain but cute, well trained - $535
76 – 15.1 10yo Foundation QH gelding, black, “As-is,” led thru, “will flip over, crippled a man up.” - $385
77 – 15.2 14yo grade chestnut gelding, small child rode through, calm - $775
78 – 15.2 grade QH mare, fleabitten gray, bump on side of head by eye, rode her bridle-less - $375
80 – 16h 10yo QH gelding, “lost the papers,” well trained WP horse, “As-is,” moved short in hind - $410
81 – 16.3+ 5yo TB/Clyde cross, bay gelding, very cute and very leggy, green broke - $960
79 – 14h 9yo grade mare, bay, very fat and very cresty, feet OK, led thru - $275
82 – 14.1 1995 grade QH gelding, dark palomino, quiet, long back / disproportionately short legs - $1000
83 – 16.2 19yo TB mare, bay, gorgeous, sold w/breeding to nice WB, “can’t afford her anymore” - $260
85 – 15.2 14yo grade chestnut gelding, youth games horse, hot and up - $525
84 – 15.2 TB mare, chestnut, “As-is,” led thru, nice trot, petite - $285
86 – 15.1 fugly 9yo QH gelding, chestnut, led thru, supposedly broke, antsy, very tiny feet - $410
88 – 15h grade QH gelding, small feet with flare - $360
87 – 15.3 2yo grade Perch/TB cross (yet somehow a pinto), started U/S 2 weeks ago, calm - $1900
89 – 15.2 7yo QH/Morgan, cutest face, reared and almost flipped in the aisle - $275 (was bid before the rearing)
95 – 15h 4yo white Mule gelding, had dark eyes but pink skin, cute but hard to steer - $550

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
At this point it was midnight and I had to go home, but a friend told me the remaining 6 horses (who were all skinny, unkempt, and wormy with long cracked feet) sold for between $30 and $80 each.

All horses not sold “As-is” have a soundness guarantee for 3 days following the sale, and have the word “sound” on their hip tags… however, there is some fine print. The guarantee does not cover a failed flexion test by itself. It also does not apply to horses selling for under $600 (like half the horses selling “sound” were disqualified because of the low price!).

A lot of the no-sale horses that reached the $1500-3500 range were owned by the same dealer; he brought 8 and only sold 2. He encouraged people to come speak to him after the sale.

What I realized:
People will bid more for your nice mare if she is not in foal.
People pay more for the horse if it is already gelded.
Color doesn’t count for much when the training and/or conformation suck.
“As-is” and “lead-thru” horses don’t sell for much.
Tricks like standing on the saddle and riding bridle-less count for less than good old-fashioned training.
Late numbers = fewer bidders = no $$. So it’s in your best interests to scratch, wait ‘til next time and get an earlier number for your horse.

Comments on horse #89:

Okay, I got to the auction and thought, “Whoa, I know that horse!” He was the cute liver chestnut gelding who was boarded at my barn up until a month ago. When his owner bought him last spring, he was green broke and had a few bad social habits. He would run up right on the horse in front of him on trails, never mind getting kicked. He wouldn’t stand for mounting. He was a tiny bit barn sour when going out alone.

His rider was not able to deal with these things, and over the last year they got worse. He never did learn to stand for mounting, which was a problem because his rider couldn’t mount without a block. He was never made to back off other horses’ rumps, and so was a constant annoyance on the trails. As a quick-fix he was put into a gag bit with a single twisted wire mouthpiece, and threw his head from the pain. A friend of the owner’s who fancied himself a cowboy tried to muscle him around, reins tight and hands high, and so the horse started rearing.
Now the gelding has been sold for a whopping $275, and the owner said she doesn’t care where he went. So, let me ask… Was it the horse’s fault he got this bad? Was it his fault you wouldn’t get a real trainer to help you with him? How exactly did you fail to realize he was too green for you, when it took you 45 minutes just to get on, every single ride for over a year?

People, please… If you have a problem, PAY for some damn HELP. No, not from the yahoo kid, from a real trainer who knows what they’re doing. And if you don’t want help, then SELL the horse BEFORE it gets so bad that even experienced people won’t touch it. I think of that nice, sweet-tempered horse, and how all he needed was a few corrections in the beginning. Now, he’s almost flipping over backwards… and if he doesn’t end up on a shipment to Mexico, he might end up crippling his next rider.