How old are your dishes?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Our plates are maybe a year old. They're all white, but with a pattern. Purchased them on sale at Kohls. I'm looking for a good set of china/formal dishes for my hutch.

surfer1

My set can be seen in use on That 70's Show!! Think we got ot piece by piece on weekly deals at Grand Union grocery store!!

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Both my everyday dishes and china are white with a pattern. BO-RING!! But I've had my china since my wedding 22 years ago and my everyday dishes about 10 years and I like them both. I even bought an extra box of everyday dishes, which I haven't opened yet, to replace chipped ones.

J

jp2854

my dishes came from giant back in the day when they sold them in the store under a premotion they did my plates are over 10yrs old. they are white with a blue floral design around the ege and one big flower in the middle. i have a service for 12 plus some of the serving pieces. none of them have broken as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Some plates have matching bowls; some do not. Glasses don't match. Silverware doesn't match. No two coffee cups are alike. Some would call it "eclectic." I have threatened hubby for 10 years that I am going to go buy all new matching stuff. It is just not a priority and on the rare occassion we invite people into our home, I like to think they are here for our company and great food and could care less if our dishes and cutlery matches.
My aunt, who recently passed away, offered me my great grandmother's china. On one hand, I would love to have it. But I do not have a hutch or china cabinet and would likely never have it anything but boxed. No heirs to pass it on to.
I also have a collection of LuRay dishes from the 50's/60's that chip easily and should not be put in the dishwasher. When I lived alone, they were great for everyday. They have been in a box for 10+ years.

B

BET

My mom gets new dishes every couple of years or so just because she gets bored of the old ones. I, on the other hand, keep mine until they're so chipped up or enough of them get broken that I have to replace them.

So which one are you?

Wait until they break. Have had mine for over 20 years.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I forgot. I never wanted china, so I never picked out a pattern for that. However, my grandma had a set of everyday dishes called Crown Ming "Fine China". They're white, with a light blue pattern on them. When she passed away, my aunt asked me if I wanted them. I was thrilled to get them, but I still have them boxed up, because I don't have a china hutch or extra cabinets to put them in.

I think it's nearly a complete service for 8 & some serving dishes - maybe 1 or 2 pieces missing. She hardly ever ever let anyone wash them, and she never owned a dishwasher. I need to get a hutch so I can bring those out and use them, as Grandma would have liked.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Several of you have mentioned china that you rarely or never use - I have a set boxed in the garage. I used to use them for everyday until Larry and I got married because I couldn't see having a great set of dishes you only use once or twice a year. We retired them when I inherited Larry's stoneware because they have silver edging and can't go in the microwave, and he felt that made them unworthy of cupboard space. :lol:

I should get rid of them.

Several of you have mentioned china that you rarely or never use - I have a set boxed in the garage. I used to use them for everyday until Larry and I got married because I couldn't see having a great set of dishes you only use once or twice a year. We retired them when I inherited Larry's stoneware because they have silver edging and can't go in the microwave, and he felt that made them unworthy of cupboard space. :lol:

I should get rid of them.

Yep, I was hoping to pass mine on to someone. They are kinda flowery for my taste. I find my trough more to my liking.