Hurricane

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Depending on who you ask, Helene is either headed right for us or will be well east and we'll just get rain.

I'm a "what me worry?" type so I'll batten down the hatches, then keep an eye on things in case Gretel and I need to make a run for it. But that decision will be made much closer to expected landfall. Apparently people are running away now.

So which one are you? Last minute; well in advance; or not at all, you're gonna go down with the ship?

phreddyp

I am always in a constant state of readiness, food, drinks, liquor, water, fuel, tunes, generator and companionship. Maybe have to put a few things away and move vehicles that's about it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Depending on who you ask, Helene is either headed right for us or will be well east and we'll just get rain.

I'm a "what me worry?" type so I'll batten down the hatches, then keep an eye on things in case Gretel and I need to make a run for it. But that decision will be made much closer to expected landfall. Apparently people are running away now.

So which one are you? Last minute; well in advance; or not at all, you're gonna go down with the ship?
When I lived in FL before, it was a well in advance kind of thing - there were so MANY variables, with the kids. Also, in JAX, there are very few evacuation options. In most cases, you need to evacuate NORTH, unless the storm is coming up the coastline, then it's west and then North. Either way, if you have people coming from the south (which we did, a couple of times) to get outta the way, you have to factor in that, because then you have to travel further north to get a place to stay. It was a hassle to figure out! I stayed prepared just in case.

NOW? I would make different choices. I don't plan on owning another house, so if I lived down there now, and all I had to do is get out - that's what I'd do. :lol: I have relatives in Lake Charles, LA I could go to, but the whole panhandle would be in jeopardy, so it's a little iffy as to where I'd actually go to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Last time we were supposed to get a direct hit it didn't even come close. It took out Cedar Key instead and here it was sunny and beautiful.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought it was still "potential tropical storm 9" or something. Is it even a hurricane yet?

Dunno - the news people have called it everything from a potential tropical storm to a Cat 4 hurricane. At this point it appears to be veering east and will miss my area, but those folks in the Big Bend are still recovering from the last one and don't need Mother Nature's bullshit again.

Honestly, the weather here is that crazy drug addled boyfriend with no impulse control. It'll either happen or it won't and it could change at the drop of a hat.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I thought it was still "potential tropical storm 9" or something. Is it even a hurricane yet?
Currently Number Nine.... Number nine.... number nine......

Soon to be a hurricane, some predictions for a Cat 5.
153941_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

BOP

Makavide

Not too talkative

When I lived in Florida, I was kind of the last minute type. However, I had a route planned with a destination in mind. I would make sure I had a hotel reservation made, so there would be a place to get to and not fight for the "last room".

limblips

PREMO Member

NOAA and the other hurricane predicters are spooging in their jeans. They told us this was going to be a banner year for big blows and are so glad they have one, you know climate change and all...................

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When I lived in Florida, I was kind of the last minute type. However, I had a route planned with a destination in mind. I would make sure I had a hotel reservation made, so there would be a place to get to and not fight for the "last room".
That's a better idea!! I am not sure why I never thought of that!

Then again, it was probably because I was actually doing everything while the EX sat in a chair reading a book. 🙄 (Another reason we're divorced!) :lol: