I Have a Confession to Make

This_person

You forgot to add a few other points.

A conservative believes a marriage is between a man and a woman, that homosexual relations are a blasphemy and it is "wrong". Gay marriage undermines the whole sanctity of marriage.

Religiously conservative, maybe, but not politically.

In addition to marriage A conservative dosen't believe in interracial marriage. Whites and blacks should marriage within their race. As justice Leon M. Bazile quoted (Loving v.s. State of Virginia). "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.[10]"

What year was this? I'm not aware of a single political conservative that feels this way. I'm sure they exist, like Sasquatch, but I don't know any.

A conservative believes in Freedom of religion, but only of the Christian religion. All other religions can be practiced, but the christian religion takes precedence. In addition the use of the Bible and religion to marginalize minorities is OK. As long as one can construe a way to use the bible to marginalize those minorities.
I'm not aware of a single political conservative that feels this way. I'm sure they exist, like Sasquatch, but I don't know any.

A conservative believes in limited immigration, although immigrants helped build this country, we should limit them coming in with all their new cultures, religions and traditions.

Well, limited immigration is only smart - you control your borders. The immigrants that helped build this country are much more likely to have been here legally. Again, I know of no conservative who has an issue with a well-regulated immigration policy that allows people in. I know most people think illegal immigration is not a good thing - at least most conservatives.

Maybe that's one I actually did forget - conservatives believe in rule by law; conservatives believe the United States is a nation of laws, not of men, and that we're all created and should be treated equally. No one deserves special treatment.

This_person

Tell me this, a low-middle income family that through a medical examination (ultrasound) finds their child has a neurological defect where the child would require Permanent and consistent medical care for the rest of his/her life. Of course this would put a strain on the couple and their marriage which has turned them into perm babysitters. Maybe increase the probability of divorce and that child later growing to become a criminal and/or the divorced mother/father turning to crime which results in the loss of someone's life.

That's just an example.
So, what if they find this out via an accident where the child is 3, and trips down the stairs and physically generates this defect; is that grounds for justifiable homicide?

SamSpade

And of course we Dems hate our country. Only a GOP is a true patriot.

I don't think Dems really do love the country *the way it IS*. As many have stated, they see it as more or less a template of something they want to create.
Else, they wouldn't be so hell-bent on remaking it into, say, Europe.

This_person

In all honesty I see nothing wrong with ending an abortion due to preg defects, rape and mental conditions.

So, you realize you're speaking of less than 8% of the abortions performed per year, right? Per Guttmacher, reasons for abortion:

Physical problem with [mother's] health = 4%
Possible problem with health of fetus = 3%
[Claim of] Rape victim = <0.5%

If you agree we should stop 92% of abortion, maybe we can agree on this.

steppinthrax

I don't think Dems really do love the country *the way it IS*. As many have stated, they see it as more or less a template of something they want to create.
Else, they wouldn't be so hell-bent on remaking it into, say, Europe.

I can take exactly what you said, reverse it and it will sound just as good and valid to many.

I don't think Republicans really do love the country *the way it IS*. As many have stated, they see it as more or less a template of something they want to create.
Else, they wouldn't be so hell-bent on remaking it into, say, Saudi Arabia.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I used to be pro-choice, until I realized it wasn't just a blob of cells. Even before that, I was opposed to women using abortion as a form of birth control. They could just keep their knees together, since they're obviously too lazy to take advantage of the free birth control that's available to them.

:high5:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Tell me this, a low-middle income family that through a medical examination (ultrasound) finds their child has a neurological defect where the child would require Permanent and consistent medical care for the rest of his/her life. Of course this would put a strain on the couple and their marriage which has turned them into perm babysitters. Maybe increase the probability of divorce and that child later growing to become a criminal and/or the divorced mother/father turning to crime which results in the loss of someone's life.

That's just an example.

Well, I know it's impossible for you to have kept up with everything I've posted over the years, but I have posted often that abortion needs to be an available medical procedure for the most extreme of cases. While I still struggle with rape and incest, I am fully on board with abortion for those whose child will suffer after being born.

I'm also on record as saying that I can't EVER claim to be in a pregnant woman's shoes and know what it feels like to have to make such a difficult decision. I have no desire to butt into her business, and I'm even more against the government banning it. But I also believe these things have consequences socially. We are becoming more and more desensitized to death, and I think abortion on demand is a contributor.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm not conservative anymore. At all. That time has past. There simply is no way any limited gummint policies can work anymore. Maybe they could have if Dubbay did what he promised and maybe not, but the time, the opportunity, is gone. May as well be a Whig as a Conservative any more. :buddies:

Limited government can't work, or can't be achieved? Certainly we know conservative policies work.

It amazes me you have become so easily swayed away from your core.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

That's just an example.

And yet, despite all those challenges, you aver that you persevered and had a satisfactory, multiple-degree-six-figure-income lifestyle. Congratulations.

Now, aren't you glad your parents decided not to abort you when they could?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
And yet, despite all those challenges, you aver that you persevered and had a satisfactory, multiple-degree-six-figure-income lifestyle. Congratulations.

I believe he stated his salary is in excess of 6 figures. That would be 7 figures or more, no? So he said he makes, at least, a $1 million salary. He be livin' large, yo?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Limited government can't work, or can't be achieved? Certainly we know conservative policies work.

It amazes me you have become so easily swayed away from your core.

Swayed is a poor word to describe accepting reality. It implies one could believe in unicorns if only the proper swaying could be done. I felt an enormous sense of opportunity in 2001 for a conservative potus with the house and Senate and favorable court and majority of state houses to finally do the policies of the right and none, NONE of it happened.

Med d, no child, all pre 9/11, all the sort of thing the right railed against for decades. Then tsa, dhs and pat act, profoundly anti right policies. Well, certainly, we could win wars! Nope.

Then, a gop president bails out the uaw. This is beyond twilight zone. What does the gop stand for?
9/11 commission white washes the thing worse than the Warren one. Then...tarp. even with a pliant congress saying no, it still happens.

On a personal basis, sure, steady, reserved, reasoned choices and behaviors. But, clearly, any ideas of conservative gummint are, clearly, fanatasy. And would they even work or only make things worse, like calmly seeing to the deck chairs as the ship of state founders?

You and I argued about this and you said it has to be slow and steady, like lifestyle changes. I said it had to stop then and there as there is no such thing as slow and steady for massive problems.

I think I was right.

To give bush credit, which is to say he was merely a puppet being lead to each new enormous gummint policy rather than willfully an unprincipled moron, let's just say the powers that be, in effect, made him do what he did. Fair enough but it only reinforces the obvious: our nation was, and is, controlled and run by our betters and they don't care if we give them bush or Obama or Hillary or trump. They call and have the tunes to their liking, period.

Last edited:

This_person

So, you realize you're speaking of less than 8% of the abortions performed per year, right? Per Guttmacher, reasons for abortion:

Physical problem with [mother's] health = 4%
Possible problem with health of fetus = 3%
[Claim of] Rape victim = <0.5%

If you agree we should stop 92% of abortion, maybe we can agree on this.

Can we agree, Step?

SamSpade

they certainly spend enough time trash talking the country

Hasn't Obama said - forgetting the quote - that he loves what America "could be"?

THIS is the sort of thing I have heard a lot - notwithstanding all the references all my life about how just about everything is "better" in Europe.

(The connection to Saudi didn't make sense to me at all - I'm kinda smart, but I am simply not seeing it, since the accusation he's given is that conservatives have no tolerance for any race or religion but their own and are all a bunch of Islamophobes).

Hijinx

I think I was right.

To give bush credit, which is to say he was merely a puppet being lead to each new enormous gummint policy rather than willfully an unprincipled moron, let's just say the powers that be, in effect, made him do what he did. Fair enough but it only reinforces the obvious: our nation was, and is, controlled and run by our betters and they don't care if we give them bush or Obama or Hillary or trump. They call and have the tunes to their liking, period.

You think you are right---------------That's nothing new., but I believe those who actually run the country are a bit upset about Trump
They care. They don't seem to be able to control him so well.
Hence the great media push and the great Republican bail out to try to stop him.

Anyway I intend to vote for him to find out.