If you were stranded in the desert...

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I adopted a soldier last week and it's a girl! :dance: :lol: I signed up through Soldiers' Angels and they ask that you send one letter a week and one care package a month. I sent my second letter today and haven't heard back from her yet. Obviously the mail takes awhile, they are very busy, and you're told that you may not even hear back from your soldier. All fine. But, since I haven't heard back from her I don't know if there's anything she needs. I'm just planning on stocking the first care package with snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. In addition to the generic care package items, what would your girly luxury item be if you were over in Afghanistan? Mine would be mascara, but I have a feeling it's COMPLETELY impractical and she will think I'm an idiot. :lmao: Someone suggested fingernail polish (for her toes!) and I thought that was an awesome idea, but when I was in line at the post office today I glanced at a big "Do not send these items" sign and wouldn't ya know it - nail polish was front and center. I don't know if she likes to read, but I might include a good book or two and suggest she pass them around if she isn't interested.

So, any more ideas?

mike504

Good on yah!!

No real suggestions.. just wanted to say that thats real nice of you.. those things are really appreciated... Just knowing some one gives a crap really helps... :buddies:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I adopted a soldier last week and it's a girl! :dance: :lol: I signed up through Soldiers' Angels and they ask that you send one letter a week and one care package a month. I sent my second letter today and haven't heard back from her yet. Obviously the mail takes awhile, they are very busy, and you're told that you may not even hear back from your soldier. All fine. But, since I haven't heard back from her I don't know if there's anything she needs. I'm just planning on stocking the first care package with snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. In addition to the generic care package items, what would your girly luxury item be if you were over in Afghanistan? Mine would be mascara, but I have a feeling it's COMPLETELY impractical and she will think I'm an idiot. :lmao: Someone suggested fingernail polish (for her toes!) and I thought that was an awesome idea, but when I was in line at the post office today I glanced at a big "Do not send these items" sign and wouldn't ya know it - nail polish was front and center. I don't know if she likes to read, but I might include a good book or two and suggest she pass them around if she isn't interested.

So, any more ideas?

I would send her an indulgent treat. Shortbread cookies come to mind. The kind in the red/black and white plaid wrapper.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Wirelessly posted

aps45819 said:
Gold Bond foot powder and Ice Cream

Good idea! Does it taste good? (the ice cream, obviously. Anyone know if it's sold anywhere locally (again, the ice cream :lol:)?

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would want a good moisturizer and some toner spritz for my face. And I'd want an Amazon gift card so I could download Kindle books (if I had a Kindle with me).

When Doug was over there, he wanted snack foods. Said he could get pretty much anything else he needed except that. But he's not a girl and not going to want luxury personal items.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
baby wipes, girly smelling lotion, slippers, febreeze, shower gel, foot powder, a little girly inspired chapstick, face sunblock, a magazine sub to something girly...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Wirelessly posted

Good idea! Does it taste good? (the ice cream, obviously. Anyone know if it's sold anywhere locally (again, the ice cream :lol:)?

It's weird stuff. Feels kind of like a piece of Styrofoam till you put it in your mouth and then it re-hydrates into creamy ice cream

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I had a soldier I adopted but he's home now. I sent lots of puzzle books, sports illustrated, readers digest, even the washington post magazines in the Sunday paper. I also sent lots of hand sanitizer, lotions, creams, powder, cards, dice and dominos. I veered away from chocolate because of the heat. They share amongst their entire unit.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I would send her an indulgent treat. Shortbread cookies come to mind. The kind in the red/black and white plaid wrapper.
I had those in my hand but opted for some thin chocolate mint wafer style cookies (not melty chocolate) instead.
I would want a good moisturizer and some toner spritz for my face. And I'd want an Amazon gift card so I could download Kindle books (if I had a Kindle with me).

When Doug was over there, he wanted snack foods. Said he could get pretty much anything else he needed except that. But he's not a girl and not going to want luxury personal items.
I picked up some lotion, but didn't think of toner. Good idea!

baby wipes, girly smelling lotion, slippers, febreeze, shower gel, foot powder, a little girly inspired chapstick, face sunblock, a magazine sub to something girly...
Thanks! I got most of these items but I'll pick up the others for next month. Febreeze is definitely a good idea.
my number?:smoochy:
:neener:
I had a soldier I adopted but he's home now. I sent lots of puzzle books, sports illustrated, readers digest, even the washington post magazines in the Sunday paper. I also sent lots of hand sanitizer, lotions, creams, powder, cards, dice and dominos. I veered away from chocolate because of the heat. They share amongst their entire unit.
The Wash Post magazine is a good idea. I might even have a few from the past couple of weeks sitting around. I also picked up a pack of Phase 10 cards. It's a fun game and won't take up too much space.

My last Adopt a Solider wanted cigarettes and mountain dew sodas.
Funny! My cousin always wanted cigarettes but I wouldn't send them to him. I think his mom did. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
No real suggestions.. just wanted to say that thats real nice of you.. those things are really appreciated... Just knowing some one gives a crap really helps... :buddies:
I wish I would have thought of it sooner. I always sent care packages to my cousin but he got out of the military years ago.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I also ended up with way too much stuff, so I have a head start on next month's package. :lol:

Starla

Thats great your':yahoo: supporting the troops. One thing the soldiers love is beef jerkey. They covet it pretty much most of them. Maybe the females like it too. But if she doesnt like it, there will be a lot of grateful soldiers there if you send it.

onebdzee

off the shelf

So, any more ideas?

I currently have one son in Iraq and one in Afghan...both have requested a lot of those little packets that you add to water bottles....Food lion usually has them on sale and if you shop at the California location, they will be out tomorrow :biggrin:

We are sending the next boxes out tomorrow with stuff to make smore's(Zman's idea)....give them a little bit of home

itsbob

I bowl overhand

So, any more ideas?

Home Made Chocolate Chip cookies or assorted home made goodies.

ALWAYS a big hit!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Oh and baby powder.

ANY good beach bum knows the value of baby powder in a sandy dusty environment.

black dog

Free America
What a soldier needs

freeze dried ice cream can be bought at Beacons in waldorf, Think more of small luxurys , things that can be shared with others. non melting candy ( M& Ms ) and so fourth, Phone cards are a huge hit.