I'm sorry...so sorry...please accept my apology...

Bogart

Toxick said:
To make Bush (and his ubiquitous cronies) look bad.

The worse Bush looks the better the Democrats look - and the better the Democrats look, the more likely it is they will gain power in 2008, be it Hillary Cliton or JFKerry again, not to mention the House and Senate.

And thats what they want.

As for the assertion or insistance that this is a counterproductive or even suicidal tactic, I invite you (and Tonio) to look up the words Machiavellian.

Perhaps Svengalian would be even better.
[187]Don't forget Pyrrhic [/187]

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
truby20 said:
Well considering Newsweek is a subsidiary of The Washington Post you should be locking up Post stockholders...I doubt many on this board will disagree with that idea.

Sounds great to me. Why not convince the stockholders of ALL MSM that they can no longer afford to back the irresponsible reporting their investments participate in? Get rid of the activist editors and unaccountable reporters or lose your azz in the courts.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
Yes. And do you know what it is? It's Newsweek printing a story that had no basis in fact, which I FIRMLY believe they did in order to incite the Muslims and thwart the war effort.

The Iraqi insurgents are not a big an enemy as our own home-grown news organizations.
I'm dissapointed in you Vrai! That comment almost sounds like a liberal consiracy theorist.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Tonio said:
If terrorism increases, there's no way in hell a Democrat would be elected. The American people trust Republicans more to keep the country safe.
But terrorism and war were going on in 2004 and Bush barely had it so I don't think your comment is accurate. More accuratly, no matter what's going on in the world, if the Republicans put up a bad candidate in 08, they won't win. Remember that the largest war this country has been in, a democrat was in office. I'll be relieved if Jeb Bush doesn't run, family dynasties make me nervous, but Mrs. Clinton makes me sick.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Bustem' Down said:
Remember that the largest war this country has been in, a democrat was in office.
Are you talking about WW2? Because the Democrats acquired their anti-military reputation after Vietnam.

willie

Bustem' Down said:
Remember that the largest war this country has been in, a democrat was in office.
There are not too many similarities in todays Democrats and the Democrats of the WWII era.

SamSpade

I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning (partly because they were talking about it on WMAL).

The whole situation makes me ill.

Fred N' Andy were mentioning - and I'd have to corroborate, but it makes sense - that the morning shows and news items, while mildly scolding of Newsweek, were somewhat sympathetic to the rioting Muslims, collectively saying "we as Westerners just haven't tried to understand these people".

Screw 'em.

Our soldiers put their *lives* on the line over there, and while they're face down on the sands of Saudi, the Muslims are decrying that the crosses around their necks might touch the sacred sands of Arabia. They show zero tolerance for our religion, and continually never even hesitate to demonstrate contempt and violence towards those who espouse Christianity (or heaven forbid, Judaism). We're NOT to practice our religion over there at all - while they're free to spit on ours EVEN WHILE our men are dying for them. Burn a bible, desecrate a cross - heck, blow up a giant Buddha or few Jews - and we're all willing to apologize for our "lack of understanding". And *we're* the ones who are intolerant?

Do whatever you want to Christians, and we want to forgive. *MAKE UP* a story about Muslims, and they riot and murder their own.

So why in God's name are our journalists blaming US for our "lack of understanding"? Why is this a matter of which part of the world to blame? You wanna blame someone?

Blame *NEWSWEEK*.

Not "the West". Not "fundies" or "the right". Blame Newsweek. That's why this story is out there, and quite honestly, the genie is NEVER going back into the bottle no matter how many retractions they print. Most of the Muslims enraged over this (and most of the left, here) are never going to believe it never happened - they'll believe that Newsweek was *told* to retract a *true* story.

And this is the part that p!sses me off so much - what in the world led someone at Newsweek to ever want to publish a bit of news such as that? EVEN IF TRUE - why on Earth would they print such an inflammatory piece? And if false - why in Allah's name would they NOT check it out as well as Dan Rather might?

Let's go through the reasoning process. Let's say you're an intelligent, responsible journalist at Newsweek, and you know this story could cause trouble. You weigh the options. Is it worth possibly riots and the deaths of innocent people, enraging the Muslim world and putting our soldiers at risk - if, on the other hand - it hurts the Bush administration. By God - run that story! Who thinks like this? At best, they're idiots who didn't know the consequences. At worst, they're hypocrites who DID.

But I guess what will really tick me off is that, in the long run, Newsweek won't suffer one bit. Some schmuck will lose his job, everyone will apologize - and inside a week it will business as usual. Newsweek will keep doing this, and no one will care.

SamSpade

willie said:
There are not too many similarities in todays Democrats and the Democrats of the WWII era.
Perhaps - but remember, that war raged for over 2 years before we were brought into it. We just issued yet another apology for looking the other way while people were being slaughtered. Even Wilson avoided WW1, and RAN ON THE SLOGAN "He kept us out of the War" - and then got into it anyway. How different is that?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
It occurs to me that stories like this thin Newsweek did are effectively sabotage - a federal offense punishable by extreme measures in time of war.

Misinformation and disinformation - dayum lies - are part and parcel of the extremist Muslim international agenda. Even the idiot press have told us that. Witness Baghdad these days, and you'll see that Muslims don't give a crap about killing each other, or having each other killed, to keep things unsettled. Stirring their own people up is just another tactic. It wouldn't surprise me too much if we discovered that Muslim agents were telling stories like the abuse stories to our idiot media, or worse, that some reporters were found to be agents provocateurs for the Muslims.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
dems4me said:
Well maybe that's were we start to differ in opinions. I subscribe to Newsweek and have always enjoyed reading it and look forward to the Conventional Wisdom part (where they give a thumbs up or down, etc...) They make fun of democrats in the magazine too :shrug:

Didn't you especially enjoy the Conventional Wisdom section this week in which the editors of Newsweek faulted Bush for not notifying himself that Washington was under attack? It's a wonder Homeland Security hadn't thought of that in the first place, don't develop a warning system, hold the target responsible for knowing he's under attack presciently.

Newsweek is so good.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
SamSpade said:
Our soldiers put their *lives* on the line over there, and while they're face down on the sands of Saudi, the Muslims are decrying that the crosses around their necks might touch the sacred sands of Arabia. They show zero tolerance for our religion, and continually never even hesitate to demonstrate contempt and violence towards those who espouse Christianity (or heaven forbid, Judaism). We're NOT to practice our religion over there at all - while they're free to spit on ours EVEN WHILE our men are dying for them. Burn a bible, desecrate a cross - heck, blow up a giant Buddha or few Jews - and we're all willing to apologize for our "lack of understanding". And *we're* the ones who are intolerant?
I agree with you for the most part. I don't see Christianity as "our" religion, even though most Americans are Christian. We're not fighting for Christianity, we're fighting for freedom. One of the reasons I love America is that patriotic Americans come from all faiths. That's something that the Saudis will probably never understand.

Hessian

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44303

Here we see the Moslem world demanding an apology from America...
Can I try??? Oohh, Pick Me!

Dear Moslem countries,
It is with a sincere and heavy heart that I approach contrition for this terrible event. I am sorry that your generally stupid, backward, 12th century, illiterate public goes into a tizzy-fit at the slightest "insult." A perfectly good Koran could be used for so many creative things other than toilet paper.
Your child raping, wife abusing, murderous prophet deserves tremendous respect and admiration,
Sincerely.
Hessian
Prinz Eugen!

Last edited:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
We are going to make this worse, because you called us on the carpet continually for our poor reporting and we aren't going to take it anymore! How can you make us responsible for what we write!!!?!?! Don't dare advise us to write good things!!!

Gosh! I guess they would rather pander to the current angst in Pakistan and Afghanistan that the White House was behind the retraction and covering up the story! Doesn't it seem that way? I mean, how dare the White House make a sane suggestion like retract what you can't prove and write about the regulations we do have for our guys handling the Koran! :lol:

The media... what a bunch of retards.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Q With respect, who made you the editor of Newsweek? Do you think it's appropriate for you, at that podium, speaking with the authority of the President of the United States, to tell an American magazine what they should print?
:ohwell:

Pete

Repete
FromTexas said:
We are going to make this worse, because you called us on the carpet continually for our poor reporting and we aren't going to take it anymore! How can you make us responsible for what we write!!!?!?! Don't dare advise us to write good things!!!

Gosh! I guess they would rather pander to the current angst in Pakistan and Afghanistan that the White House was behind the retraction and covering up the story! Doesn't it seem that way? I mean, how dare the White House make a sane suggestion like retract what you can't prove and write about the regulations we do have for our guys handling the Koran! :lol:

The media... what a bunch of retards.
When we are in office soon be sure I don't talk to the press. If it were me at the podium I would have come unglued and that reporter would have something really good to write about when they got out of traction.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
dems4me said:
Democrats don't hate... I find them to be very big-hearted and caring-for-everybody kind of people. :patriot:
Income redistribution...aka "Death Tax", ponder that one. :shutup: