Inexpensive wedding

kelb

art imitating life
Where can one go to get married under $500.00. They want that to cover the venue, food and reception space. Be original if you have to. Just wondering

50-75 guests

Last edited:

LJ1999

Where can one go to get married under $500.00. They want that to cover the venue, food and reception space. Be original if you have to. Just wondering

50-75 guests

Whew, that is a tight budget. $7 per person for venue, food and reception. I would suggest calling small locally owned restaurants that may be willing to let you utilize a private room or something and plan on appetizers only. For example, in Charles County I know that Blue Dog and Martini's will book parties and close to the public for the evening. Only other option I can think of for so little is a nice wedding at home with family and friends helping out with the food. Depending on time of year you could plan a big BBQ or maybe a Fall Bon Fire.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Whew, that is a tight budget. $7 per person for venue, food and reception. I would suggest calling small locally owned restaurants that may be willing to let you utilize a private room or something and plan on appetizers only. For example, in Charles County I know that Blue Dog and Martini's will book parties and close to the public for the evening. Only other option I can think of for so little is a nice wedding at home with family and friends helping out with the food. Depending on time of year you could plan a big BBQ or maybe a Fall Bon Fire.

ohhh.... thats is a great idea!!!

I may do that when i get married!!! :yahoo:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Maybe call local American Legions, VFW's and Moose Lodges. They used to rent out banquet/meeting halls and give kitchen privileges for a reasonable amount. Or the at home thing. The wedding and reception in the same place. Sweat equity given by friends and family making decorations and cooking the food can make for a nice memorable wedding day. Good planning and attention to detail is all it takes. The cake maker in the family doing the cake and taking the bows, a few of the great cooks setting the buffet, the music lover DJ'ing and having the spotlight. People usually love doing these things and are quick to volunteer. :)

:coffee:

bulldog

Courthouse steps, guest stand in da yard, pizza served at the LT wharf where there will be dancing and karaoke until the PoPo make you leave.

Seriously though, good luck with that.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
When you say 500.00 are you including wedding attire for all in the wedding the cost of the marriage license, guest favors entertainment, flowers, food, cake, disposable dinnerware etc.?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
When you say 500.00 are you including wedding attire for all in the wedding the cost of the marriage license, guest favors entertainment, flowers, food, cake, disposable dinnerware etc.?

:killingme I think they are talking a couple of kegs and maybe some hotdogs and chips.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
:killingme I think they are talking a couple of kegs and maybe some hotdogs and chips.

Oh, I completely agree and my first marriage in 1989 still cost more than that and I was marrying an E4 in the Navy, who also worked part time at the pool hall snack bar at NAS Oceana. The church and preacher were free. I bought invitations and wrote them by hand. My dress was a JcPenny clearance dress for 100.00. We had the reception at a local park which cost us 25.00 to rent the pavilion and 15.00 for the alcohol permit. Since he works at The Break at the time we got all food and alcohol at cost, which was basically hot dogs, hamburgers, a keg, potato salad and coleslaw. The cake was like 50.00 from a store bakery and was two tiered. My wedding was small around 50 guests and I believe we had sodas, canned beer and wine coolers in a big plastic can borrowed from the base. My bachelorette party was at the E club on the base and since I was not 21 I could not drink and I believe the other 8 ladies with me either couldn't drink or paid for their own. We did dance our asses off though. Add another 100.00 in for plastic plates, cups and silverware, plus I made the flower bouquets for my maid of honor. Than add in shoes, my nails and hair on the day of the wedding. I would still would put the number around 1000.00 when all was said and done.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I can add nothing to this. That is an impossible budget. I'd say go with a home wedding where everyone brings a dish to share and a lawn chair. Then at least they'd have enough money for paper products, to pay the minister, and maybe the main dish as long as its something simple like fried chicken. Otherwise they'd definitely need to be related to someone who could pull favors for the venue.

sockgirl77

I can add nothing to this. That is an impossible budget. I'd say go with a home wedding where everyone brings a dish to share and a lawn chair. Then at least they'd have enough money for paper products, to pay the minister, and maybe the main dish as long as its something simple like fried chicken. Otherwise they'd definitely need to be related to someone who could pull favors for the venue.

Agreed. You cannot rent a space anywhere for under $500, even a local fire hall. A backyard wedding is definitely the only thing that I can think of for $500. I'll be honest, even a backyard wedding for 50-75 guests seems impossible for $500. It's $350 minimum for a wedding DJ. And food for 50-75 people...even cookout food is pricey. Think about meat for that many people. I'd have to cut back the amount of guests or wait a little longer and get married when the budget looks better. :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Bring your own bottle. Bring your own food. Bring your own chair, etc... Don't forget the gift!

Chris0nllyn

We're doing a cheap wedding, and $500 covered our rental hall alone.

I've been to some weddings that consisted of getting married in their front yard, all the food was cooked by them and family, and 3 kegs of beer. I had mroe fun there than I did at a $40k wedding.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

50-75 guests

How about this:

Pick a venue, set a menu, figure up all the costs and divide it by number of guests (50-75). So, if it's $5,000, that's $67-100 per guest. Tell guests to please skip a gift and simply pay for their share of the gig.

I'd send $100 just so I didn't have to go.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!

This would be the way to go. Put on a dress already owned or wear shorts a blouse and flip flops. Maybe a Hawaiian Theme. That way everyone shows up casual, brings a dish, heck even their own chairs and coolers. Do cupcakes versus a wedding cake etc. It's hard to offer more suggestions without what the bride to be wants. Is this a first marriage? Generally speaking a first time bride is going to want all the bells and whistles, where as those that have been done the road before a much more likely to be low key. Also keep in mind that it would be rude for the couple to expect a guest to bring a dish, their own chairs, their own drinks and give a gift.

**** No mention of a photographer in this either much less the cost of prints ******

sockgirl77

**** No mention of a photographer in this either much less the cost of prints ******
That's an easy one! Put disposable cameras on each table. Walmart is 7 cents per print online. Or you can ask your friends to all bring their cameras. And I agree with you, the BYOB thing...tacky.

Myself...mason jars, daisies, and lemonade. :cheers: