insurance payments stalling life

foodcritic

The insurance debacle. State farm is holding up my damage estimate for review. The contractors who took care of my trees and roof have not been paid. The roofer cant do my roof because the insuranve companies have not paid him for his prior jobs. What a big mess. Now the insurance co is sending the chevks to the bank so they can disburse funds. Just another cog in a wheel that does not move.
:duel:

RPMDAD

Sorry to hear that foodcritic, hope all works out in the long run. I think the recent disasters has everybody evaluating their home insurance and their insurance companies. Good Luck.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The insurance debacle. State farm is holding up my damage estimate for review. The contractors who took care of my trees and roof have not been paid. The roofer cant do my roof because the insuranve companies have not paid him for his prior jobs. What a big mess. Now the insurance co is sending the chevks to the bank so they can disburse funds. Just another cog in a wheel that does not move.

State Farm is the company that refused to pay damages after Hurricane Katrina, policy holders had to sue to get payment and they JUST settled this year. Talk about waiting for payment!

Of course I'm sure the bill collectors and lawyers left them alone until the case was settled.

Google State Farm, Katrina, and Trent Lott.

I remember a model of a neighborhood in New Orleans where there were about 30 homes. Multiple insurers about 10 were insured with State Farm. 10 of the 30 homes got zero for damages.

dawn

I too am having issues with State Farm.....I am so not happy with the service that state farm is NOT providing since the hurricane!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Nationwide came out sent me a check for the horse trailer..it was on my auto policy ..no deductable

STILL HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THEM ABOUT THE HOUSE

ShyGirl

Wait! Stop! Think!

The person who used to have my telephone number is now getting calls from Allstate insurance company...something about a claim made for damage due to the bad weather.

Does your insurance company have the correct number to contact you?

dawn

Wait! Stop! Think!

The person who used to have my telephone number is now getting calls from Allstate insurance company...something about a claim made for damage due to the bad weather.

Does your insurance company have the correct number to contact you?

Yep, because we have communicated once........

foodcritic

Yep, because we have communicated once........

I have been in touch with mine from the get go. My guy came in from Texas. He is here under a disaster team. He told me two weeks ago he was sending the estimate of damages. It never came. I then called him and he told me it got sent to review (he says because it's over 10k). I then go to my state farm office in California...and nicely complain. You see the guys who helped me in the storm (tree, roof) have not gotten paid for there work.

So two days ago while at the state farm office they call my adjustor. Next day he calls me and tells me the file is back with him and he is sending it to me. So now I wait for their estimate of damages. What do I have it to compare it to......nothing. I can't get anyone out to estimate the damage because everyone is to busy, some are even charging for estimates.

I know the contractor who patched the roof. He is good and reliable. He can't do anything for me now because he laid out lots of money doing repairs and has not gotten any reimbursement so his money is tied up waiting.

Snowball effect.

Imagine if we had a REAL disaster in the area......

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I have been in touch with mine from the get go. My guy came in from Texas. He is here under a disaster team. He told me two weeks ago he was sending the estimate of damages. It never came. I then called him and he told me it got sent to review (he says because it's over 10k). I then go to my state farm office in California...and nicely complain. You see the guys who helped me in the storm (tree, roof) have not gotten paid for there work.

So two days ago while at the state farm office they call my adjustor. Next day he calls me and tells me the file is back with him and he is sending it to me. So now I wait for their estimate of damages. What do I have it to compare it to......nothing. I can't get anyone out to estimate the damage because everyone is to busy, some are even charging for estimates.

I know the contractor who patched the roof. He is good and reliable. He can't do anything for me now because he laid out lots of money doing repairs and has not gotten any reimbursement so his money is tied up waiting.

Snowball effect.

Imagine if we had a REAL disaster in the area......

This is a nightmare and I hope I wake up.

The insurance adjuster finally got out here Sunday, called me Tuesday and said she was cutting a check for $$$$$.

We received the check today for $$$$$-8K. The 8K might be available with invoices/receipts, etc. The check can't be cashed until our mortgage company endorses it. This means faxing everything from the insurance company and sending them the check. They said 3-5 days and then I guess they send it back.

We are waiting to get work done on the house once we have the money. Not a huge deal (no trees through the roof, but need a new roof due to shingle damage) new window (it looks so pretty boarded up) downed fence, deck, gazebo, etc.

Very frustrating to wait this long to get somebody to fix it.

We still have huge root balls in the yard and leaners.

We also have contractors who may not be able to get to us until spring because of the delay/demand.

I hate insurance companies. :bawl:

We are honestly lucky to be alive after what went through here and I shouldn't complain. It's still frustrating (because I am alive :lol:)

Last edited:

music

I have State Farm and with all the trouble everyone else is having I'm thinking of switching to Erie. Any thoughts on Erie Insurance?

I have State Farm and with all the trouble everyone else is having I'm thinking of switching to Erie. Any thoughts on Erie Insurance?

I have Progressive and adjuster came out in two days and cut a check.Does not necessarly mean they do that for all claims.Have heard a lot of people have problems with State Farm, But I suspect all insurance companies are bad at times. It depends alot on your agent.

InsanelyBusy

State Farm.

Run from State Farm indeed....we are miserable, and they can not find any other temp housing for us. We had to move back here the week the storm hit. Husband took a new job, we were glad to move back. Missed being in the area.

Our house is now condemned because of the damage.

State Farm is trying to feed us a line of pure bullstuff, and trying to "patch up" this house. The SF guy didn't even know the house had been condemned on Sept. 8th

SF has a temporary housing service that was to take care of us.They found a hotel we could stay in until we figure out what will happen to our home. They let the ball drop though. They lied to us, telling us that the hotel they placed us in would allow our small dog. We check in, dog with us. The ladies at the desk even said how cute she was. Dog is not loud, is well behaved and never made "a mess" while we were there, nor offended anyone. We kept to ourselves. This hotel waits until my husbands first day of work (three days later), and then the hotel at 4:15pm decides to give me until 6pm to leave or find a place to board my dog. Life in tow...gotta love it. Glad I didn't start my new job that day. Thank gosh I began my new job the next day!

Am not boarding my dog. This hotel knew WHY we were there( not on vacation folks), saw the dog at check in. So we ended up staying at another hotel on Solomon's that allows dogs. Won't make the mistake of staying there again. Within one night, got extremely sick- there was a ton of black mold in the air conditioner. Took pictures as proof. When husband arrived back from his new job training in the middle of the week we finally found a place that allows pets and is clean, but we are over in St Mary's county. More miles away from daughter's school. So getting her to school is even a larger chore than normal. Not exactly conducive with my work schedule for sure...

We had a local business try to give us a guess of what it would cost to fix the damage to our home. They say it will cost at least wheat SF says it will cost to fix the damage, just to figure out what needs repaired in and on the home. SF seems to think that they can "put a band-aid" on our home and it will be just fine. It honestly doesn't seem like SF wants to help us at all. Super glue is not going to fix our home, folks.

So SF got another inspector and this inspector was to have communicated something with us about SF's view on fixing our home, vs what it would REALLY cost to fix our home per the local contractor, and see if the money talk was any different. Supposed to get back to us by September 27th. Of course it didn't happen.

We are getting ZERO communication with State Farm.
Meanwhile, our home sits there condemned. We are exhausted.
We call our agent, who says it's out of his hands, he cannot help. We wonder what we pay him for. Yes, the home that sits condemned is insured, but we sure aren't getting any "Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is there" feeling.

We are angry. I'm sure if we had ever missed a payment to State Farm they would have dropped us. Our payments have always been on time. After this is over we are definitely switching.

The way we are being ignored by both State Farm and it's disaster team is completely unsatisfactory.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Run from State Farm indeed....we are miserable, and they can not find any other temp housing for us. We had to move back here the week the storm hit. Husband took a new job, we were glad to move back. Missed being in the area.

Our house is now condemned because of the damage.

State Farm is trying to feed us a line of pure bullstuff, and trying to "patch up" this house. The SF guy didn't even know the house had been condemned on Sept. 8th

SF has a temporary housing service that was to take care of us.They found a hotel we could stay in until we figure out what will happen to our home. They let the ball drop though. They lied to us, telling us that the hotel they placed us in would allow our small dog. We check in, dog with us. The ladies at the desk even said how cute she was. Dog is not loud, is well behaved and never made "a mess" while we were there, nor offended anyone. We kept to ourselves. This hotel waits until my husbands first day of work (three days later), and then the hotel at 4:15pm decides to give me until 6pm to leave or find a place to board my dog. Life in tow...gotta love it. Glad I didn't start my new job that day. Thank gosh I began my new job the next day!

Am not boarding my dog. This hotel knew WHY we were there( not on vacation folks), saw the dog at check in. So we ended up staying at another hotel on Solomon's that allows dogs. Won't make the mistake of staying there again. Within one night, got extremely sick- there was a ton of black mold in the air conditioner. Took pictures as proof. When husband arrived back from his new job training in the middle of the week we finally found a place that allows pets and is clean, but we are over in St Mary's county. More miles away from daughter's school. So getting her to school is even a larger chore than normal. Not exactly conducive with my work schedule for sure...

We had a local business try to give us a guess of what it would cost to fix the damage to our home. They say it will cost at least wheat SF says it will cost to fix the damage, just to figure out what needs repaired in and on the home. SF seems to think that they can "put a band-aid" on our home and it will be just fine. It honestly doesn't seem like SF wants to help us at all. Super glue is not going to fix our home, folks.

So SF got another inspector and this inspector was to have communicated something with us about SF's view on fixing our home, vs what it would REALLY cost to fix our home per the local contractor, and see if the money talk was any different. Supposed to get back to us by September 27th. Of course it didn't happen.

We are getting ZERO communication with State Farm.
Meanwhile, our home sits there condemned. We are exhausted.
We call our agent, who says it's out of his hands, he cannot help. We wonder what we pay him for. Yes, the home that sits condemned is insured, but we sure aren't getting any "Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is there" feeling.

We are angry. I'm sure if we had ever missed a payment to State Farm they would have dropped us. Our payments have always been on time. After this is over we are definitely switching.

The way we are being ignored by both State Farm and it's disaster team is completely unsatisfactory.
You need a lawyer....

AND Trent Lott.

NewsJunky

They should probably also contact the MD State's Attorney's office & see what kind of complaint can be made.

I agree. That really stinks.

We just had our first "inspection" by the mortgage company who now holds our money that the insurance company sent for the damage. I hope the mortgage company doesn't drag their feet in releasing the funds to us. We have people to pay. Such a damn mess.

Too bad you couldn't re-direct your mortgage payment to pay the contractors. They withhold your adjustment money, you withhold the same amount in mortgage payments.

Yeah, I know.... that's the fastest way to go to foreclosure.