Is anyone getting tired of the almost daily accidents?

ginwoman

The investigation revealed a 2003 Chrysler 300, (operated by Jeffrey Glenn Burch, age 51 of Lexington Park), was traveling southbound on Point Lookout Road and drifted into the northbound travel portion of the roadway, striking a 2004 International Box Truck, (operated by Carlos Alberto Lebron Morales, age 35 of Lexington Park), in a head on collision.

So, how many times have we heard this? Is it starting to sound like Ground Hog Day to you too? Am I the only one getting tired of the accidents?

What really caught my attention is my insurance went up 40 bucks for every billing cycle. I asked why. USAA said it is because of accidents "in your area". WHAT? MY AREA? They said yep. Because of other people, not you, but other people getting in so many accidents in your area, your insurance is going up. I never heard of such a thing. A spotless record. No accidents, no tickets. It doesn't matter! It still goes up " because of OTHER people"!!!
sorry, but they've always had to raise their overall rates due to claims. I agree with you, I cannot believe the amount of horrible accidents around here.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
SMC Local Roadway Safety Plan-page-001.jpg

TPD

the poor dad
See, I wonder how many in that third column should rightfully be in the second column. How do they decide which column it goes into? If I cross the centerline and head on a truck, how do they know if I was distracted or failed to stay in lane for some other reason like a wasp in my shorts?
My first thought as well when I read the chart. Well maybe not the wasp in my shorts but a spider dropping in wife’s lap…

glhs837

Power with Control
It is a matter of how it is coded. The stats reflect the coding. Hopefully the coding is correct. I am sure it was double checked for accuracy.
I'm reminded of the study the NHTSA did years ago. "Speed Kills", right. So they formed rapid response teams in some places, on call reconstructionists. Similar to what the FAA does for their crash response teams.

What they found was that while speed was a factor, it was rarely the primary factor, which contradicted the police reporting at the time, which listed speed as the primary cause far more often.

. I think we might not be looking closely enough. Like the Callaway crash. Will that person's phone be examined for evidence of activity immediately prior to the crash? Or is it turned over as personal effects because it might be a pain to supeoana it or get it unlocked.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

One day I called USAA about unwarranted rate increases, and the guy on the other end actually told me the truth. He said it was USAA protecting itself from inflation and the expansion of the money supply. I kid you not. If one were to look at traffic accident trends/statistics, over the years, they are pretty much level. The excuse given by many insurers, in this case more accidents, is BS, and deflects from the real reason. As I've said before, increases in all type of insurance, health, auto, home, etc., is the canary in the coal mine. Insurance companies will always charge an amount needed to ensure their revenue keeps ahead of the real, unspoken, inflation numbers. So if they increase payments by 15%, you can be guaranteed that that is the annual actual inflation number, or pretty close to it.

Look at the inflation chart from ShadowStats. Does not the blue line bear an uncanny resemblance to what one finds in the increase of daily living expenses such as food, "insurance", and the like?

1690554182345.png

PeoplesElbow

Cars do have a lot more for insurance claims to pay for these days. A cracked windshield use to be just a windshield replacement, now it's that and possibly safety feature replacement and calibration. A cracked windshield on a new car now can be more than $2500 to replace. Same for a dented bumper, it can now mean replace proximity sensors etc.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Anyone know what happened on Rt 4 around 1pm today. Coming home from Alexandria, I got rerouted on the Beltway to the Waldorf exit and send around the Brandywine area before heading back towards 231 to get back to Lusby. Almost a two hour ride home that I wasn't expecting.

sunshine98

Not the Rt 4 accident, but there was a wreck southbound 235 in front of Harris Teeter around 4 PM. Someone somehow plowed into a boat trailer. The boat was up on the grass median. Heard a helicopter for a while. Haven't seen any reports.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not an hour ago, sitting on 235N in one of the two turn lanes for Chancellors when a car in the other turn lane suddenly just sports right out across the southbound 235 lanes and on to Chancellors Run....see ya later bye....while the light is still solid green for north and southbound 235! Amazing there was nobody immediately coming southbound on 235 or that would have been real ugly. A rare "gap" in the traffic saved the day.

Natron0915

Went through the nasty fatal accident on 231 in Benedict yesterday minutes after it happened and before police and EMS were on scene. Not sure what happened but clearly someone made a costly mistake. Lot's of cars pulled over, including a slew of old Triumph convertibles, trying to help the people trapped. Seems like a daily occurrence.