Is it mine? Or should I give it back?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Guess I'm alone on this one.

I would keep the ring until I was ready to give it back....i deserve to have whats left of my would be husband...im greiving. what sick coldhearted family does this? they were ready to accept me into their home as a daughter in law but now its like "whatever - give us back our property."
And.......this is totally disrespectful to my would be dead husband. He's probably rolling over in his grave, he would want me to have whats left of our love.

Of course you'd keep it.
You're a self centered selfish bytch who feels entitled to everything.

Most likely anybody engaged to you would prefer death to a lifetime of your me first attitude.

puggymom

First of all :huggy:
I would give thr ring back. I do not know what the legal issues are---that varies state to state but it should stay in the family.

Do you have anything else to remember him by? Another piece of jewelry, or memento?

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Of course you'd keep it.
You're a self centered selfish bytch who feels entitled to everything.

Most likely anybody engaged to you would prefer death to a lifetime of your me first attitude.

Good Lord! :lol:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
few questions...

How long were you together total?
How long were you actually engaged?
Kids together?
Did you get along with the fam before he died?
Are you in his will?

Very good questions and I would also add:

Was his death sudden or unexpected?

If so, depending on the actual circumstances this may play a part in them asking for the return of such item. If he passed after a long illness I would think that he would have had time to express his wishes for you to keep the item.

I just want to say that even though I may not have agreed with your posts, I am sorry if this was your loved one that passed away. I cannot imagine the grief you have had and will continue to deal with. Just remember that many people attach memories to items and to not the actual memories themselves.

Maybe if you could take a picture of you and he when you were wearing the ring and get it framed that may help. No amount of staring at that ring will bring your loved one back. Best wishes to you and yours.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Lets say you were engaged to be married, and received a family heirloom (about 80 years old) as the engagement ring. Your fiance' dies before you get married. His family wants the heirloom back and is willing to give you a replacement ring.

Should I give it back? Or do I keep it?
What would be the legal answer to this as well since the contract was with him, NOT his family.
:popcorn:

Hey there my Nubian queen since your single do you care to mingle? I have a pickle to help you forget your ring.

somdbingolady

Are you guys kidding?? This lady lost someone that she was going to spend the rest of her life with. No matter what you think the descision should be, she asked for more opinions maybe to see it from a different side. This lady is never going to see her man again. Have some respect people!! Calling her a bytch is not helping anyone and shame on you!!!:duel:

donbarzini

Are you guys kidding?? This lady lost someone that she was going to spend the rest of her life with. No matter what you think the descision should be, she asked for more opinions maybe to see it from a different side. This lady is never going to see her man again. Have some respect people!! Calling her a bytch is not helping anyone and shame on you!!!:duel:

You're really new here. Aren't you?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
As hard as it is, and again if it were me I would also be heart broken, but it really is the right thing to return the ring to the family since it once belonged to another memeber of their family....Ask for something that once belonged to him, maybe a toy, or blankie or something from his childhood that you could cling to in his memory...that is what I would do, I would not want a replacement ring from some store...I would want something else that was a part of him...

:yeahthat:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
This wouldn't even be a question for me. I'd give the ring back. It's a family heirloom, not something he picked up a Jared's.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Welcome to the forums and allow me to clue you in:

Qurious starts hypothetical threads that have nothing to do with her personally. If they did, you'd think she should be in a padded cell. It's like she gets a scenario in her head, then wants to know what others think about it. Sparks good conversation.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
Lets say you were engaged to be married, and received a family heirloom (about 80 years old) as the engagement ring. Your fiance' dies before you get married. His family wants the heirloom back and is willing to give you a replacement ring.

Should I give it back? Or do I keep it?
What would be the legal answer to this as well since the contract was with him, NOT his family.
:popcorn:

Regardless of how the engagement was broken, I would think if you are no longer engaged to be married, good taste and proper decorum would dictate that you offer to return the ring, since it is a family heirloom. It would be up to the family to offer to let you have it as a keepsake in remembrance of your fiancee.

I don't have any idea about the legality of it.

sockgirl77

Welcome to the forums and allow me to clue you in:

Qurious starts hypothetical threads that have nothing to do with her personally. If they did, you'd think she should be in a padded cell. It's like she gets a scenario in her head, then wants to know what others think about it. Sparks good conversation.
Except this thread was not typed to be hypothetical. :shrug: