Is this strange...or what?

O

oldnavy

Got a call last night from the Ex. Had her on speaker so LOML heard the entire conversation and is now not very happy. Seems that my Ex wants to take out a life insurance policy...ON ME!!! I was so stunned by her saying that that I did not have a very good reply...Like "hell no". So now wifey is a little pissed.
Now that I have had time to think more about it...it is very odd, but really...why should I care? She will be the one paying for it, not me. Only thing I have to do is get a physical (no cost to me...they come to my house) and sign some papers. I can see where this is uncomfortable for my wife, but then again I say BFD...it has no impact on us...other than her being pissed.
Whatcha reckon?

:popcorn:

K

Kain99

oldnavy said:
Got a call last night from the Ex. Had her on speaker so LOML heard the entire conversation and is now not very happy. Seems that my Ex wants to take out a life insurance policy...ON ME!!! I was so stunned by her saying that that I did not have a very good reply...Like "hell no". So now wifey is a little pissed.
Now that I have had time to think more about it...it is very odd, but really...why should I care? She will be the one paying for it, not me. Only thing I have to do is get a physical (no cost to me...they come to my house) and sign some papers. I can see where this is uncomfortable for my wife, but then again I say BFD...it has no impact on us...other than her being pissed.
Whatcha reckon?

"Motive"

Pete

Repete
oldnavy said:
Whatcha reckon?

Do you have young kids who will need support should you die?

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
oldnavy said:
Whatcha reckon?

Any kids with the former spouse?

O

oldnavy

Pete said:
Do you have young kids who will need support should you die?

Kids are 19 and 18 and covered under MY current life insurance policy.

SoMDGirl42

Included in my final divorce papers, it states I can take out a life insurance policy on the ex. at my own cost. I understand this is fairly common, especially if minor children are involved. I haven't done it yet, but the option is there, and he must consent to the physical if I choose to do it.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
oldnavy said:

As much as I want to side with ya brother, you have to think of how your current wife looks at what you may be doing no matter how innocent it looks. The ex is out of the picture but you are willing to let her benefit from your death? Doesn't matter who is paying for it. Its more of a "how it looks" to the wife sort of thing.

lovinmaryland

oldnavy said:
Whatcha reckon?

The ex's motive is pure profit. If you die (heaven forbid) she will recieve the benefit amount, whatever she insures you for.

This should have been something that she had implemented during your divorce, not afterwards.

I see where your current wife is coming from. If your children were younger i could see her asking to have a policy on you to supplement her child support if something did happen.

Pete

Repete
oldnavy said:
I would say no then. Alimony? she may be wanting to be sure the money train keeps coming if you kick, even then I would say hell no.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Will you allow me to take out a hefty life insurance policy on you, too?

I could use the extra money. :nomoney:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I can understand the request if the kids are going to college and may need the financial assistance should something happen to you, or if you were ordered to pay your ex alimony. Other than that, I wouldn't upset your current wife.

O

oldnavy

flomaster said:
As much as I want to side with ya brother, you have to think of how your current wife looks at what you may be doing no matter how innocent it looks. The ex is out of the picture but you are willing to let her benefit from your death? Doesn't matter who is paying for it. Its more of a "how it looks" to the wife sort of thing.

No doubt. I see that side very, very well. At this point I'm going to be inclined to say "no"...unless the kids are listed as the only benificiaries in the event of my untimely death.

O

oldnavy

SoMDGirl42 said:
Included in my final divorce papers, it states I can take out a life insurance policy on the ex. at my own cost. I understand this is fairly common, especially if minor children are involved. I haven't done it yet, but the option is there, and he must consent to the physical if I choose to do it.

Not so in my papers although it does say that I must maintain insurance until they are certain ages.

I called the insurance company and they did say that this is a fairly common thing and really no big deal. Of course they are not looking at it from current wifes POV.

O

oldnavy

Pete said:
I would say no then. Alimony? she may be wanting to be sure the money train keeps coming if you kick, even then I would say hell no.

That's another flippin drag. I am currently paying $2200.00/month is alimony + child support. A little later this year the $2200.00 goes down to $1,500.00 which I have to pay for the rest of my life...or until she gets married again...which she has clearly stated that she won't do.
Oh, yeah...and she'll get over 30% of my military retirement when that time comes.

O

oldnavy

BadGirl said:
Will you allow me to take out a hefty life insurance policy on you, too?

I could use the extra money. :nomoney:

That would be no problem. Current wifey knows/likes you!! By the way, she told me to tell you :howdy:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
oldnavy said:
That would be no problem. Current wifey knows/likes you!! By the way, she told me to tell you :howdy:

Oh she does? This is worth turning my PM's on to find out who you and she are. LOL

O

oldnavy

flomaster said:
Oh she does? This is worth turning my PM's on to find out who you and she are. LOL

She knows BadGirl. Don't know if she/I know you are not. Are you the boogie man?

donbarzini

oldnavy said:
Not so in my papers although it does say that I must maintain insurance until they are certain ages.

I called the insurance company and they did say that this is a fairly common thing and really no big deal. Of course they are not looking at it from current wifes POV.

Of course they said that. It's money in their coffers. Not just no. Hell no!

D

dems4me

oldnavy said:

Although I am not experienced enough to give an opinion because I've never been married (i.e - no experience = absolutely and entirely clueless in all relationship/marriage issues). I will venture out there with one anyways. I would agree with your current wife's POV. Maybe she feels you are already giving your ex enough without throwing that in as well. :shrug: Hope you get this worked out. :huggy: