Is this strange...or what?

lovinmaryland

oldnavy said:
That's another flippin drag. I am currently paying $2200.00/month is alimony + child support. A little later this year the $2200.00 goes down to $1,500.00 which I have to pay for the rest of my life...or until she gets married again...which she has clearly stated that she won't do.
Oh, yeah...and she'll get over 30% of my military retirement when that time comes.

WOW... :faint: that is a lot.

I would tell her no, you have a policy and your children are the beneficiary. If something did happen to you they would be taken care of.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
oldnavy said:
That's another flippin drag. I am currently paying $2200.00/month is alimony + child support. A little later this year the $2200.00 goes down to $1,500.00 which I have to pay for the rest of my life...or until she gets married again...which she has clearly stated that she won't do.
Oh, yeah...and she'll get over 30% of my military retirement when that time comes.
You are getting so 'effed.

How in the world did you get tapped to pay alimony?

I thought our situation was bad. Bob owes for child support and for 1/2 of his retirement (until ex remarries), but nothing else. But the amount that he does pay equals my house payment AND my truck payment. :ohwell:

D

dems4me

BadGirl said:
You are getting so 'effed.

How in the world did you get tapped to pay alimony?

I thought our situation was bad. Bob owes for child support and for 1/2 of his retirement (until ex remarries), but nothing else. But the amount that he does pay equals my house payment AND my truck payment. :ohwell:

I was going to ask who the ex's atty. was. :lol:

sockgirl77

oldnavy said:
$1,500.00 which I have to pay for the rest of my life...or until she gets married again...which she has clearly stated that she won't do.
No shiat. I wouldn't either. Damn. :lmao:

O

oldnavy

dems4me said:
I was going to ask who the ex's atty. was. :lol:

Not so sure if it was the fact that her's was good, or mine was a flamin idiot....and I was a bigger idiot by allowing him to talk me into it. :doh:

It's in the VA courts and hopefully after I retire I can taker her back to court and get it changed stating a "material change in circumstances" The fact that she worked good paying, full time jobs during most of the marriage will hopefully play in my favor.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
oldnavy said:
Not so sure if it was the fact that her's was good, or mine was a flamin idiot....and I was a bigger idiot by allowing him to talk me into it. :doh:

It's in the VA courts and hopefully after I retire I can taker her back to court and get it changed stating a "material change in circumstances" The fact that she worked good paying, full time jobs during most of the marriage will hopefully play in my favor.

Good luck. If there were a large disparity in income between you both it would be reasonable to pay temporary alimony until she could get on her feet financially (education, new job, what have you) but $1500 for the rest of her life or until she gets married? Geesh!

sockgirl77

Radiant1 said:
Good luck. If there were a large disparity in income between you both it would be reasonable to pay temporary alimony until she could get on her feet financially (education, new job, what have you) but $1500 for the rest of her life or until she gets married? Geesh!
I think that there should be a time limit on alimony. Just like welfare. :yay:

W

Wenchy

oldnavy said:

That's all fine and good, but you are dealing with right now.

If you kick the bucket tomorrow, she will have lost all that she has depended on. I see her getting the insurance policy on you as a smart move.

Alimony and child support have been mentioned, plus 30% of your retirement. When you get married, have kids, and get a divorce...well, that's reality. You chose to create children with and pledge "until death do we part."

You have two children. Expenses for children may NEVER go away. I found this out the hard way, and the fact that DH's ex took out a policy for him is understandable. At the age of 20, one of their children went literally nuts, and will need lifetime support. If she is paying for it, then your current wife should understand it. Will the current take care of your children if you become roadkill on 235 later on today?

Sounds to me like your ex is the smart one. Your current needs to look at scenarios a little more realistically. It is no more money out of your pockets, but could take care of the woman you pledged undying love to and your two children.

jenbengen

Watch it
oldnavy said:
Got a call last night from the Ex. Had her on speaker so LOML heard the entire conversation and is now not very happy. Seems that my Ex wants to take out a life insurance policy...ON ME!!! I was so stunned by her saying that that I did not have a very good reply...Like "hell no". So now wifey is a little pissed.
Now that I have had time to think more about it...it is very odd, but really...why should I care? She will be the one paying for it, not me. Only thing I have to do is get a physical (no cost to me...they come to my house) and sign some papers. I can see where this is uncomfortable for my wife, but then again I say BFD...it has no impact on us...other than her being pissed.
Whatcha reckon?

:popcorn:

If you are not supporting her or your adult children financially, can she even TAKE out a life insurance policy on you? Seems a bit weird. I can see why wifey would be a bit annoyed though.

jenbengen

Watch it
oldnavy said:

Good God! That is a LOT!! I am a little surprised that you have to pay so much. She has grown kids...that seems a bit much.

O

oldnavy

Wenchy said:
That's all fine and good, but you are dealing with right now.

If you kick the bucket tomorrow, she will have lost all that she has depended on. I see her getting the insurance policy on you as a smart move.

Alimony and child support have been mentioned, plus 30% of your retirement. When you get married, have kids, and get a divorce...well, that's reality. You chose to create children with and pledge "until death do we part."

You have two children. Expenses for children may NEVER go away. I found this out the hard way, and the fact that DH's ex took out a policy for him is understandable. At the age of 20, one of their children went literally nuts, and will need lifetime support. If she is paying for it, then your current wife should understand it. Will the current take care of your children if you become roadkill on 235 later on today?

Sounds to me like your ex is the smart one. Your current needs to look at scenarios a little more realistically. It is no more money out of your pockets, but could take care of the woman you pledged undying love to and your two children.

I'm fully aware that expenses for children continue. In addition to what I pay her, I pay for my daughters car, college expenses, cell phone, car maintenance and spending money. I give my son an allowance, will end up buying his car, buy his clothes, etc, etc. The money that I pay to her goes to her...even the child support. Oh, and the child support is more than what is required by law/state. Trust me, I have FULL financial responsibility for my kids.
In fact yes, if I got run over on 235 today my current wife would take either/both of my children into our home and take care of them. On the other hand...would she give the Ex money???...of course not.

Is the ex really "smart" or just clever? She has an education and is perfectly able to work yet she does not. She worked for most of the marriage, but when it started to go to hell she quit and now just hangs out and sucks up my money.

lovinmaryland

jenbengen said:
If you are not supporting her or your adult children financially, can she even TAKE out a life insurance policy on you? Seems a bit weird. I can see why wifey would be a bit annoyed though.
anybody can take out a policy on anyone, with the permission of the person to be insured.
so basically w/ your permission (and you taking the physical and necessary blood work) i could take out a million dollar policy on you that i would be in control of. even though the policy is on you, you have no control.

O

oldnavy

jenbengen said:

Yes. I called the insurance company (USAA) and in fact she can. I have to agree to the terms and sign the document, but if I do that it's no problem as long as I pass the physical.

I can take out a policy on someone I don't even know IF I can convince them to sign the document.

Pretty Bizzar.

O

oldnavy

lovinmaryland said:
anybody can take out a policy on anyone, with the permission of the person to be insured.
so basically w/ your permission (and you taking the physical and necessary blood work) i could take out a million dollar policy on you that i would be in control of. even though the policy is on you, you have no control.

Yes...and NO. I have to agree to the terms of the policy. I can stipulate (and probably will...if I go through with it) that the value of the policy is only payable to the kids should I die. She would have the policy, but not get a penny. I have to agree to the terms.

sockgirl77

oldnavy said:
Is the ex really "smart" or just clever? She has an education and is perfectly able to work yet she does not. She worked for most of the marriage, but when it started to go to hell she quit and now just hangs out and sucks up my money.
She needs to get off of her ass and get a job. Your kids are not little and do not require her being at home. That is ridiculous.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Okay, burned a brain cell during lunch on this. If the ex wants the policy and the benefits are going to the kiddies only, then I am all for it. Sounds like based on the wifey's ill feelings that the ex didn't spell it out that way.

Heck, if my ex was any kind of human being and not the toad licking, evil wench, douche bag that she is, I would split the cost for my oldest daughter. But of course because she is the toad licking, evil wench, douche bag that she is we don't.

O

oldnavy

sockgirl77 said:
She needs to get off of her ass and get a job. Your kids are not little and do not require her being at home. That is ridiculous.
:huggy:

would you go kick her azz for me?

lovinmaryland

oldnavy said:
Yes...and NO. I have to agree to the terms of the policy. I can stipulate (and probably will...if I go through with it) that the value of the policy is only payable to the kids should I die. She would have the policy, but not get a penny. I have to agree to the terms.

I actually sell life insurance :howdy:

I had mentioned in a earlier post if she wants a policy that the children would be the only beneficiary, then what you have with your current company is sufficient. There is no need for her to take out another policy that she controls.

If you have any other questions and don't want to call USAA pm me :howdy: