Janet Yellen blames Americans' 'splurging' for record-high inflation

HemiHauler

Although I do not disagree with this, let's not forget to give credit to EVERYONE. The senile hair-sniffer has spent his fair share of currency as well.

Indeed. Inflation is a lagging indicator and current environment has far more to do with washing the economy with 8 TRILLION worth of cash.

BTW, do you have the deficit numbers handy from Biden’s budgets?

OccamsRazor

Indeed. Inflation is a lagging indicator and current environment has far more to do with washing the economy with 8 TRILLION worth of cash.

BTW, do you have the deficit numbers handy from Biden’s budgets?
Why is it when "the other guy" did something, it is a "lagging indicator" and just happens to be impacting the current admin BUT, when "the other guy" was in control... it is "ALL OF THIS RIGHT NOW IS YOUR FAULT?"

Also, NO... don't have the numbers but we all know numbers can be fudged. What cannot be fudged is the real impact of COL and price increases everywhere that are effecting many, many people.

HemiHauler

Why is it when "the other guy" did something, it is a "lagging indicator" and just happens to be impacting the current admin BUT, when "the other guy" was in control... it is "ALL OF THIS RIGHT NOW IS YOUR FAULT?"

Also, NO... don't have the numbers but we all know numbers can be fudged. What cannot be fudged is the real impact of COL and price increases everywhere that are effecting many, many people.

What numbers are “fudged”? Numbers are the numbers and simple mathematics furnish the reality. :sshrug:

HemiHauler

I simply do not trust any "stats" or "numbers" that the government releases. After hearing about "record unemployment lows" I stopped believing.

Then there’s not much I can do for you.

Nothing at all wrong with suspicion of government numbers, but at least when it comes to budget info actual numbers aren’t that hard to find.

Hijinx

I just got a $1250.oo dollar fuel oil bill, and it costs $70 to fill my truck ,and food is out of sight. It pisses me off to hear this idiot woman say I have anything left to Splurge with

SamSpade

Is it possible that we are spending more and saving less --

Because stuff COSTS a lot more and there's less left over?

I get the concept that people tend to SPEND when they have a lot, but I know for a fact they don't SAVE as much when they don't have any.
It certainly seems more logical that people are spending more, because they HAVE to. At no time since the beginning of the pandemic have I seen evidence that people just have money to burn and are doing that with caution thrown to the wind.

If anything, I am spending a LOT more now on what I used to buy and then some - because some stuff just costs too much - and because I need it - it goes on credit.

It's a bit like saying an unemployed person is out of work because he's spending more time at home, when in fact, he's spending more time at home, because he's out of work.

I am spending more ON THE SAME STUFF. And there's no savings after that.

OccamsRazor

At no time since the beginning of the pandemic have I seen evidence that people just have money to burn and are doing that with caution thrown to the wind.
Really? Who do you think is buying all those overpriced new cars with "dealer upcharges?" Who is paying $600/seat for the packed sporting events and concerts? Who attributed to the record amount of Xmas spending this year?
Apparently, people do have "money to burn." Or at least, they have money left on their credit cards.

SamSpade

Really? Who do you think is buying all those overpriced new cars with "dealer upcharges?" Who is paying $600/seat for the packed sporting events and concerts? Who attributed to the record amount of Xmas spending this year?
Apparently, people do have "money to burn." Or at least, they have money left on their credit cards.
NOBODY I know. EVERYONE I know is just getting by.

herb749

Think about this. Say Congress sends this new contract out to the unions. They take their time in voting and one or two decide, nope don't like this deal. Supposedly if one walk out they all walk out. So they drag this out until the end of the year and want to strike in early January right when republicans take over the House. Then the democrats & media can blame them for the strike. Possible .?

herb749

And I'm still believing there are people who think the govt will bail them out.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
when do you remember "white supremacy" being a serious problem in this country, prior to a couple years ago? How often was it ever mentioned in news? Now, it appears as a major "threat" to the nation (and democracy, as though it COULD pose a threat and secondly as though the United States was the last bastion of democracy in existence). It's in movies, TV and on the lips of all liberal sheeple who've tired of saying "fascist" and "brownshirt" - possibly because their side is actually censoring speech and using threats and violence to silence their oppostion and coercing industry to comply with their agenda.
Violence from WS groups is such a threat because of the stealthy nature of their violence. While the media beats the drum of threats of violence, it ignores the daily destruction from this group. Notice you never hear reports of the body counts or interviews of the countless victims. Instead, they just report on the threat. That lets you know how insidious these groups are. They manipulate the media to not report their crimes.

Hijinx

Certainly people are saving less.
1. They have less to save.
2. Interest rates on CD's at .05%.

Might as well stick it in a jar and bury it in the backyard.

OccamsRazor

NOBODY I know. EVERYONE I know is just getting by.
Understood however, you mentioned that you have seen no evidence. Obviously, you have seen the multitude on new vehicles on the road, packed sporting events, and heard about the record sales numbers right? So you are aware of the spending in this economy? Not just with people YOU know.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
you have seen the multitude on new vehicles on the road,
I was under the impression, especially from the emptyness of dealer lots, that there was a shortage of new vehicles due to a shortage of microprocessors and support chips for new cars and trucks.

Did this end?

OccamsRazor

I was under the impression, especially from the emptyness of dealer lots, that there was a shortage of new vehicles due to a shortage of microprocessors and support chips for new cars and trucks.

Did this end?

I believe we are still running under a shortage however, my point was that the inflated prices of available vehicles may have slowed sales but, there are still many people flocking to dealerships to pay the hefty dealer fees and prices. I never said that people aren't struggling right now. Many are. I am merely saying that it must not be THAT bad if scores of buyers are willing to pay 5-digit dealer fees and spend $1000 to go see Taylor Swift.

HemiHauler

I believe we are still running under a shortage however, my point was that the inflated prices of available vehicles may have slowed sales but, there are still many people flocking to dealerships to pay the hefty dealer fees and prices. I never said that people aren't struggling right now. Many are. I am merely saying that it must not be THAT bad if scores of buyers are willing to pay 5-digit dealer fees and spend $1000 to go see Taylor Swift.

In our first-world economy, "struggling" is really a sliding scale. Struggling today isn't the same as struggling through the Great Depression. Today's strugglers, as you rightly point out, have a pretty damn good financial life.