Jennifer @Red Robin

MMDad

Lem Putt
They had a thing on the Kane show (99.5) this morning asking if people that get the bypass surgery are cheating over those that do it through diet and exercise...

I know people who have gotten the surgery, and I think it is the easy way out in some ways. But there is something to take into account - those who get the surgery must be over a certain weight, or if under it they must also have a co-morbidity like diabetes. That can make actually turning your life around and exercising next to impossible.

Those who have the surgery also have to do the work - they can reverse it by eating too much, or the wrong things. If they don't exercise, they will put it back on too.

Think of it more as a crutch. It can either be an aid to helping you get better, or it can be something that you lean on for the rest of your life.

I know people who have gotten the surgery, and I think it is the easy way out in some ways. But there is something to take into account - those who get the surgery must be over a certain weight, or if under it they must also have a co-morbidity like diabetes. That can make actually turning your life around and exercising next to impossible.

Those who have the surgery also have to do the work - they can reverse it by eating too much, or the wrong things. If they don't exercise, they will put it back on too.

Think of it more as a crutch. It can either be an aid to helping you get better, or it can be something that you lean on for the rest of your life.
I don't think it is "cheating" or "taking the easy way out" because once they commit to GB surgery they have to spend the rest of their life accounting for everything they eat. My sister had been friends with a guy since high school that had the GB surgery later in adulthood. He died as a direct result of not following the post-surgery eating guidelines that he was supposed to follow the rest of his life. I also know several who have had it that turned from food to alcohol and they are now skinnier than before but saggy and puffy because they are taking the wrong type of calories in. So in short, there is no "magic" answer or way to lose or keep excess weight off.

Im_Me

I know a bunch of people that have gained all the weight back, when they learned to cheat the eating guidelines by "grazing" all day long on high calorie foods.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I don't think it is "cheating" or "taking the easy way out" because once they commit to GB surgery they have to spend the rest of their life accounting for everything they eat. My sister had been friends with a guy since high school that had the GB surgery later in adulthood. He died as a direct result of not following the post-surgery eating guidelines that he was supposed to follow the rest of his life. I also know several who have had it that turned from food to alcohol and they are now skinnier than before but saggy and puffy because they are taking the wrong type of calories in. So in short, there is no "magic" answer or way to lose or keep excess weight off.

And that's why I see it as a form of taking the easy way out. There are some - and I know a couple of them - who think the surgery solves the problem. As you noted, it most certainly does not. It just gives them a head start as long as they are willing to do the follow up.

In all reality, if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. But anyone who has had to lose weight knows that this simple concept is much more difficult than it sounds.

I have also seen those who drink after the surgery and it's bad. Some think that the increased absorption rate is what causes them to become alcoholics, but I disagree. I think they are just substituting one addiction - food - with another addiction. If it wasn't food or alcohol it might be gambling, the internet, sex, or something else.

unlisted

SMOOTHMARINE187
Are you suggesting that I get gastric bypass for my depression and anxiety? :confused:

You should get Jesus in your life. When I was a young lad at the age of 63 years old I began ingesting massive amounts of mushrooms and smoking stink bugs wrapped in dried banana peels. Then one fateful night, I got blasted and staggered into the road and got mauled by a rabid Bassett hound and lost my right testicle. After this all happened, I sank into a massive depression and began abusing my penis pump. Then one bright shiny day I dragged my huge penis and left testicle into the kitchen and made a piece of toast. As I prepared to slap some butter on it, I noticed something peculiar, I took a closer look and discovered the face of Jesus Christ the savior staring back at me in my toast. I screamed in sheer excitement and began attending church services every day. Now I thank the good lord almighty for rescuing me!

warneckutz

You should get Jesus in your life. When I was a young lad at the age of 63 years old I began ingesting massive amounts of mushrooms and smoking stink bugs wrapped in dried banana peels. Then one fateful night, I got blasted and staggered into the road and got mauled by a rabid Bassett hound and lost my right testicle. After this all happened, I sank into a massive depression and began abusing my penis pump. Then one bright shiny day I dragged my huge penis and left testicle into the kitchen and made a piece of toast. As I prepared to slap some butter on it, I noticed something peculiar, I took a closer look and discovered the face of Jesus Christ the savior staring back at me in my toast. I screamed in sheer excitement and began attending church services every day. Now I thank the good lord almighty for rescuing me!

And this is... :banghead:

Attachments

• PepperUrAngus.JPG
    PepperUrAngus.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

Your stories always bring a tear to my eye :bawl: