Kanye West speaks for... who?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Kanye West Rips Bush at Telethon

Appearing two-thirds through the program, he claimed "George Bush doesn't care about black people" and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."
While allowing that "the Red Cross is doing everything they can," West... added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

So how many people is he truly representing with this BS? (Yes, Qpid, we know you've already sent him flowers...)

I guess West didn't see (or pay mind to) Bush's landing in Mississippi when he hugged a black woman and her daughter prior to touring their neighborhood.

I also would like to know West's thoughts on the citizens that want individually-tuned accomodations. Like some guy (yes, black) Fox just aired an interview of as he discussed getting people to shelters. He said they offered to take him to Dallas... but he "didn't want to" go there, he wanted to go to Baton Rouge. I would have told him this isn't a vacation; you should be appreciative for receiving what you do.

Mikeinsmd

hvp05 said:
Kanye West Rips Bush at TelethonSo how many people is he truly representing with this BS? (Yes, Qpid, we know you've already sent him flowers...) I guess West didn't see (or pay mind to) Bush's landing in Mississippi when he hugged a black woman and her daughter prior to touring their neighborhood. I also would like to know West's thoughts on the citizens that want individually-tuned accomodations. Like some guy (yes, black) Fox just aired an interview of as he discussed getting people to shelters. He said they offered to take him to Dallas... but he "didn't want to" go there, he wanted to go to Baton Rouge. I would have told him this isn't a vacation; you should be appreciative for receiving what you do.
Kayne West...now THERE's a real pillar of society!! :lmao: Wasn't he just in the news about a shooting?? :whistle:

hvp05

Mikeinsmd said:
Kayne West...now THERE's a real pillar of society!!
He is... but which society? (I am already preparing to get a good dose of this tonight when I go to work.)

willie

It looks like NBC tried to keep it civil (surprise!) but you're always taking a chance inviting a Rapper to anything. My gripe is against Fox for airing the piece with the woman complaining about a cold MRE. That pissed me enough to hesitate writing the second check to the Salvation Army and I'm sure it squashed many donations.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Mikeinsmd said:
Kayne West...now THERE's a real pillar of society!! :lmao: Wasn't he just in the news about a shooting?? :whistle:
That was Suge Knight. The party where the shooting occurred was hosted by West, but that doesn't mean he was "involved". That would be like saying I was involved in my cousin getting drunk at my wedding, b/c I brought the booze. Actually, Kanye West is a very talented individual, for those of us who accept that there is talent in the hip hop industry. Now I think he's a dinng-a-ling, but he's still talented. :lol:

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
hvp05 said:
I guess West didn't see (or pay mind to) Bush's landing in Mississippi when he hugged a black woman and her daughter prior to touring their neighborhood.
Ok, I agree with you, this is not a race issue. It is pure coincidence that this tragedy happened in a predominately black area. However, pointing out that Bush couldn't possibly be a racist because he hugged 2 (count 'em, 2) black people is ridiculous. He is a politician, and that is what politicians do, regardless of their personal beliefs (I am not saying Bush is or isn't racist, I am saying that was a poor example of proving that he's not)

Mikeinsmd

Nickel said:
That was Suge Knight. The party where the shooting occurred was hosted by West, but that doesn't mean he was "involved". That would be like saying I was involved in my cousin getting drunk at my wedding, b/c I brought the booze. Actually, Kanye West is a very talented individual, for those of us who accept that there is talent in the hip hop industry. Now I think he's a dinng-a-ling, but he's still talented. :lol:
I heard his name in the news for something earlier though and I don't remember it being flattering..... Was Suge at Kaynes house or something??

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Mikeinsmd said:
I heard his name in the news for something earlier though and I don't remember it being flattering..... Was Suge at Kaynes house or something??
Kanye isn't a gangsta thug. I don't know where the party was hosted, the article I found didn't say either. I assume it's like the other celebrity parties, and he rented a house and threw a party. Just sucks that he invited an ex-con who ended up screwing it all up by getting shot. :lol:

alexis2

Kanye West Rips at Bush --- Response

I don't totally agree with Kanye but it makes you think closely at the situation. When things happen like this to mostly black cities there is always a slow response - just in the knick of time! While people are dying? There is know denying the coverage of this tragedy that not enough was done to prevent this from happening. Why would they want to funnel money to shore up a damn where 98% of the population is black? Give me a break. The statement should have been - If you are black and poor your fed government does not care. And if the press would not made it a big issue with RACE and CLASS help would not have came this fast and fast I mean 4 days later.

:confused: And as for Bush's photo op hugging the black women, give me a break - he was waiting for the opportunity to broadcast all through the U.S. Did he take his photo op to New Orleans where most of devastation AND black folks are? NO. He knew he wouldn't get a good reception.

Kanye was speaking from his emotions and his truth and I commend him for speaking up where most entertainers and news reporters would not. You pointed out that one man resisted going to another city and wanted to instead go to Baton Rouge. Again, people take that and run with it and that's all they want to see and here - just like the looting where a less that 0.1% of the residents took televisions. What about the 99.999% of black residents that are at the stadium, dead floating in the water, all the black men helping to organize the elderly and carrying them to safety - did you see that coverage - I did. I don't care about the looting because they can't do anything with the stuff. Do I care about them taking food? YES. They should because food came to late and anyone sitting in their plush home passing judgemnet would have done the same thing in these circumstances.

As the caption read under a picture with two white people carrying bread and water - "Two people FOUND food has they walk through chest high water." Another caption read undeer a picture with a black couple - "two people just looted a grocery store now walking through chest high water." These types of distinctions (FOUND vs. LOOTING) are disturbing.
Don't stop or decrease your contribution to help your FELLOW American citizens because a few criminals still or people are complaining. You would do the same thing because for some reason in this country the middle-class feel priviledge :confused: or nonchalant. Let's not sit on our high horse and pass judgement on people.

hvp05 said:
Kanye West Rips Bush at Telethon

So how many people is he truly representing with this BS? (Yes, Qpid, we know you've already sent him flowers...)

I also would like to know West's thoughts on the citizens that want individually-tuned accomodations. Like some guy (yes, black) Fox just aired an interview of as he discussed getting people to shelters. He said they offered to take him to Dallas... but he "didn't want to" go there, he wanted to go to Baton Rouge. I would have told him this isn't a vacation; you should be appreciative for receiving what you do.

Last edited:

hvp05

Nickel said:
However, pointing out that Bush couldn't possibly be a racist because he hugged 2 (count 'em, 2) black people is ridiculous. He is a politician, and that is what politicians do, regardless of their personal beliefs (I am not saying Bush is or isn't racist, I am saying that was a poor example of proving that he's not)
I don't recall saying "Bush couldn't possibly be a racist." Please quote. Thanks. My example was addressing West's statement, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." His emotion at the scene seemed genuine to me, but I could be an idiot.

My example was just that -- an example. How many separate examples do I need to provide? If one believes that Bush acted in the manner he did simply because he is a politician perhaps no number of examples would suffice.

morganj614

Alexis, how could this have been prevented? You cannot put up a wall and stop a major hurricane.
Get a clue, this situation is more dire than they are even showing on television, you obviously cannot understand the scope of this tragedy. Logistically, getting supplies together and even near the area is a nightmare. No one knew the levee on Lake Ponchatrain was going to burst. Remember the damage Isabel did here? I had no power for 6 days, trees were down everywhere and we thought that was bad. Now expand that a million times over. It's bad...
Aren't we lucky that we can sit here and criticize all that is being done instead of the feeling of hopelessness all those along the Gulf Coast are feeling? Once you lose hope, you have lost life.

Mikeinsmd

alexis2 said:
Gosh. If I was in that situation and my president comes 4 days later after spending WEEKS on vacation. What would you do? Shoot no. Wait until he gets on the ground (he wouldnt'). He wouldn't be able to comprehend or intellectually answer their questions. I
What? Do you think the second the wind stops that relief just falls from the sky???? These MORONS were ORDERED to evacuate!!!! You really need to get a clue!! :duh:

And he is running the most powerful country in the world!! He's entitled to vacation!! We all get vacation hun!! Sheesh!! I have 3 weeks myself I can use.

Last edited:

alexis2

Keep up with your politics

The city of New Orleans have been asking for this money for years to shore up the damn. They would not fund it, money was going overseas. And I do have a clue! I have family close by and that was the talk for years. Did you here the professor from the major university down there. When he gave his presentation to the C of Engineers they laughed at him about the Damn being weak (check Dateline NBC). It's too late NOW! WHo's criticizing what's been done? Not me. Read my thread again. The first 4 days those people were helping themselves - then help came because of the coverage by the press. I'm not lucky I'm blessed that I can have an open mind and see the difference. I can comprehend there dispare and hopelessness.

morganj614 said:
Alexis, how could this have been prevented? You cannot put up a wall and stop a major hurricane.
Get a clue, this situation is more dire than they are even showing on television, you obviously cannot understand the scope of this tragedy. Logistically, getting supplies together and even near the area is a nightmare. No one knew the levee on Lake Ponchatrain was going to burst. Remember the damage Isabel did here? I had no power for 6 days, trees were down everywhere and we thought that was bad. Now expand that a million times over. It's bad...
Aren't we lucky that we can sit here and criticize all that is being done instead of the feeling of hopelessness all those along the Gulf Coast are feeling? Once you lose hope, you have lost life.

alexis2

Morons

I guess they shouldn't look for a contributions from you.

Mikeinsmd said:
What? Do you think the second the wind stops that relief just falls from the sky???? These MORONS were ORDERED to evacuate!!!! You really need to get a clue!! :duh:

And he is running the most powerful country in the world!! He's entitled to vacation!! We all get vacation hun!! Sheesh!! I have 3 weeks myself I can use.

hvp05

alexis2 said:
And as for Bush's photo op hugging the black women, give me a break - he was waiting for the opportunity to broadcast all through the U.S. Did he take his photo op to New Orleans where most of devastation AND black folks are? NO. He knew he wouldn't get a good reception.
Oh, so it's okay to split hairs on which blacks to converse with and which not? Apparently, simply going to the region is not good enough; Bush would have to visit certain neighborhoods to appear genuine. :rolleyes:

alexis2 said:
Kanye was speaking from his emotions and his truth and I commend him for speaking up where most entertainers and news reporters would not.
See, that's a big part of the problem: West was speaking his truth, instead of the truth. He clearly let his personal views into his presentation while others maintained their focus on the actual disaster. I don't find that commendable.

And, by the way, I would do a little research on your figures ("99.999%"?) before you throw them around.

Mikeinsmd

alexis2 said:
The city of New Orleans have been asking for this money for years to shore up the damn. They would not fund it, money was going overseas. And I do have a clue! I have family close by and that was the talk for years. Did you here the professor from the major university down there. When he gave his presentation to the C of Engineers they laughed at him about the Damn being weak (check Dateline NBC). It's too late NOW! WHo's criticizing what's been done? Not me. Read my thread again. The first 4 days those people were helping themselves - then help came because of the coverage by the press. I'm not lucky I'm blessed that I can have an open mind and see the difference. I can comprehend there dispare and hopelessness.
:deadhorse Go read the entire thread I posted then come back and post something that hasn't already been worn out.

IT TAKES 4 DAYS TO MOBILIZE & GET RELIEF IN THERE~!!! :bonk: THE FRIGGIN CITY IS UNDERWATER!!!

Why didn't slick Willie give em $$ to fix the levies???

I wonder what natural disaster BushCo will release next?? :lol:

morganj614

alexis2 said:

What dam? The city is surrounded by water, not just one dam. Who is 'they' that would not fund the dam you say needed fixing? I didn't hear the one professor talking about the one dam. The city is below sea level, there was no way to prevent this flooding from happening. Still you have no idea how long it takes to mobilize relief efforts. Trucks are not sitting somewhere waiting for disasters. The area is flooded, there was no way to get close to the area the next day. Don't open your mind too much more, the rest of your brain might slip out. The despair is what is causing the lawlessness. This could not have been prevented.

Last edited:

alexis2

Are you KIDDING?

It does not take 4 days for the U.S. to mobilize anything! We can start a war in 24 hours. They knew this storm was coming. There was no preparation before hand. When you have a major damn system like this there should always be a plan in place to first Prevent major destruction and also a contingency plan. Like I said before POLITICS money wasn't being allocated for this effort. Try watching MSNBC, Dateline and CNN.

Mikeinsmd said:
:deadhorse Go read the entire thread I posted then come back and post something that hasn't already been worn out.

IT TAKES 4 DAYS TO MOBILIZE & GET RELIEF IN THERE~!!! :bonk: THE FRIGGIN CITY IS UNDERWATER!!!

Why didn't slick Willie give em $$ to fix the levies???

I wonder what natural disaster BushCo will release next?? :lol: