Katrina victims to get $2,000 dollar debit cards

Qpid

:popcorn:

WASHINGTON - The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials the displaced people need, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

:popcorn:

Steve

Enjoying life!
nomoney said:
Aren't they already given the "essentials" in the shelter? :confused:
This is brilliant!! Give each adult $2,000 and they are far more likely to up and leave the Astrodome than to stay and continue to look for handouts!

nomoney

Steve said:
This is brilliant!! Give each adult $2,000 and they are far more likely to up and leave the Astrodome than to stay and continue to look for handouts!
shoot, I'd stick around to see what else I could get out of the deal.....buncha slackers.

bedazzle

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,..."

~ Barbara (W's mom)

Qpid

bedazzle said:
"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,..."

~ Barbara (W's mom)
and you see a problem in that becuzzzzzzzzzzzzz :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
bedazzle said:

~ Barbara (W's mom)
Yeah, now New Orleans' problem has become Houston's problem. Way to go. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad Maryland is so far north that we aren't being flooded with these indigents. (And save your red karma - I am unrepentent)

rack'm

Jaded
vraiblonde said:
Yeah, now New Orleans' problem has become Houston's problem. Way to go. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad Maryland is so far north that we aren't being flooded with these indigents. (And save your red karma - I am unrepentent)

They have some in Baltimore already. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw on the news that when the NOLA area jails started to flood, they just let all the inmates go free because they didn't have any way to evacuate them. Looking for verification but, if this is true, good luck to all the cities who now have these people living among them, free and unfettered. With $2000 to spend on booze, drugs and firearms.

rack'm

Jaded
vraiblonde said:
I saw on the news that when the NOLA area jails started to flood, they just let all the inmates go free because they didn't have any way to evacuate them. Looking for verification but, if this is true, good luck to all the cities who now have these people living among them, free and unfettered. With $2000 to spend on booze, drugs and firearms.

There was something about this where the convicts had taken hostages and were sitting on a flooded bridge or off ramp.......I never heard the outcome. :ohwell:

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
vraiblonde said:

We are getting boat loads of them and our case loads are goin through the roof. Glad I'm a geek.

PJay

vraiblonde said:

No need for verification for me. I heard the same. Also heard a story of some of the inmates holding some family members of the guards hostage.