Kayaking In So Md Anyone

mergallo50

There are five or six of us fairly new to kayaking who would like to form a loose "club" to get together on our local flat water and paddle. Anybody want to join us?

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
There are five or six of us fairly new to kayaking who would like to form a loose "club" to get together on our local flat water and paddle. Anybody want to join us?
Where? When? Is this the formation of a club requiring membership? More info please

frogman123

My parents actually just bought kayaks about a month ago. They usually go to McIntosh Run but it seems to be a weekly thing (usually several times a week). I will talk to them to see if they are interested. Are you in St. Mary's?

spinner

I'm interested, my kayak buddy on weedays will be leaving the area soon. Let me know when you are thinking about going.
Whoo hoo, we pick up our new kayaks tomorrow from BluHaven Piers!

glhs837

Power with Control
You can get in the water for as little as say $300-400, as much as a couple grand, depends on what kind of paddling you are going to do, and what level of equipment you want to start with.

Me, it was $280ish for a 9.5 foot "rec boat", as they call them, $30 for a PFD, and anther $30 fo a paddle. It goes up from there:)

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
You can get in the water for as little as say $300-400, as much as a couple grand, depends on what kind of paddling you are going to do, and what level of equipment you want to start with.

Me, it was $280ish for a 9.5 foot "rec boat", as they call them, $30 for a PFD, and anther $30 fo a paddle. It goes up from there:)

Cool. Might have to go to Patuxent Adventure center and chat with owner. He took pretty good care of me when I got my road bike. Funny we had no clue who the other was and before you new it we found out that at some point we'd flown together in the Marine Corps. Small small world.

glhs837

Power with Control
You wont get out so cheaply there, of course, Figure probably $350 minimum for the same sort of boat I got, something like this. I got this boats predecessor for under $300.

Perception Prodigy 10.0 Kayak at REI.com

PAC would most likely charge closer to $400 for it, but of course, its close, and your supporting the local guys.

mergallo50

Replying to interested SO MD Kayakers

To Dutch6,frogman123,spinner,greenbag12,flomaster and glhs837 and anyone else who's interested
Hi all, thanks for your replies and interest.

My hubby and I and the other 2 couples live in Charles County but as you might know there are lots of places to go paddling in So Md that are fairly convenient to all SO MDers. Dutch6 you asked if this is the formation of a club requiring membership--no just looking for others who share an interest in paddling the waterways together. Frogman would be happy to hear from your parents--don't know where McIntosh Run is but willing to explore it. Spinner, Greenbag and GLHS, Flomaster thanks for info and questions. I got my kayak used from an outfitter in FL for $175, bought one for the hubby from Beacon Surplus for about $300 new. Let's all exchange email addresses and phone numbers. We are tenetitively planning on going out Saturday Oct 25. Haven't decided where yet. Lets talk!

Last edited:

spinner

The nicest place we kayak is Mattawoman, the boat ramp before you get to the base at Indian Head. This time of year you can't beat it for the different types of migrating waterfowl. We fish there as much as we can. The boat ramp is nice, plenty of parking, and the boats are supposed to go very slow, although they don't always follow that rule. My daughter and I paddled almost all the way upsteam to the bridge.
We also go to Leonardtown, the little put in on Camp Calvert Road, Clarks Landing and Forrest Landing, but the boat ramp there is VERY slick, be careful. I had a bad fall there this summer. And you can put in at Buzzy's in Ridge to be in St Jeromes Creek.

mergallo50

Thanks for the tip GW, I'm new to this forum stuff so I don't even know what PM means. I'll have to train myself on the how-to's.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm going to try and hit McIntosh next weekend and take some pics of th efoliage while paddling out/in.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Used Rush Kayak for sale

Kayak has been modified for fishing. Includes an anchor system, extra straps, paddle & 2 rod holders. 1 person can easily put this on top of a vehicle. 301-481-7424 $325.

Stable and easily maneuverable, the lightweight Rush Kayak from Old Town® Canoe has a roomy cockpit perfect for enjoying a few hours out on the water. The Rush comes with a removable workdeck and an Ergo-X high-back padded seat for all-day paddling comfort.

Features
•Removable work deck with mesh pockets
•Lightweight, easy-carry construction
•Adjustable high-back folding seat with cup holder
•Roomy cockpit for easy entry/exit
•Front and back rear deck bungees
•Adjustable foot braces
•Length: 9' 6" / 2.9 m
•Width: 28.5" / 72.3 cm
•Cockpit: 19" x 38" / 48.2 x 96.5 cm
•Depth: 12" / 30.4 cm
•Weight: 39 lbs / 17.6 kg
•Capacity: 225 lbs / 102.0 kg

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
McIntosh Run

I'm going to try and hit McIntosh next weekend and take some pics of th efoliage while paddling out/in.
This is a nice run. I've done it at high tide in a canoe and made it all the way to Breton Bay. You park right near the KFC in Leonardtown.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Kayak has been modified for fishing. Includes an anchor system, extra straps, paddle & 2 rod holders. 1 person can easily put this on top of a vehicle. 301-481-7424 $325.

Stable and easily maneuverable, the lightweight Rush Kayak from Old Town® Canoe has a roomy cockpit perfect for enjoying a few hours out on the water. The Rush comes with a removable workdeck and an Ergo-X high-back padded seat for all-day paddling comfort.

Features
•Removable work deck with mesh pockets
•Lightweight, easy-carry construction
•Adjustable high-back folding seat with cup holder
•Roomy cockpit for easy entry/exit
•Front and back rear deck bungees
•Adjustable foot braces
•Length: 9' 6" / 2.9 m
•Width: 28.5" / 72.3 cm
•Cockpit: 19" x 38" / 48.2 x 96.5 cm
•Depth: 12" / 30.4 cm
•Weight: 39 lbs / 17.6 kg
•Capacity: 225 lbs / 102.0 kg
I'm looking into kayaking. This one seems a little small for me. I'm not a big guy but the 225lbs capacity seems light. I'm thinking I'm more suited for a 12+ footer.

Last edited: