Kayaking In So Md Anyone

Gwydion

Most of the smaller rec boats like were talking about here have pretty open cockpits..... Heres the one I paddle, good top view.

PERCEPTION Swifty 9.5 Kayak : Buy the PERCEPTION Swifty 9.5 Kayak at Eastern Mountain Sports

Your in the open all the way to mid-shin, its 42 inches from front to back of the cockpit. You really couldnt get stuck unless you were so uncoordinated you shouldnt walk unaided, really.

I know I had the same trepidations, but once I actually sat in one, it was not a thing I ever worried about again. Now, one like this.....

Eskia - Comfortable And Capable Sea Kayak - Necky Kayaks

That suckers cockpit is only 28 inches long, you should know what your doing about egress before heading out in that:)

Your perception kayak. How exhausting is it to use? Do you feel like you could paddle it for a few hours at a time? All the reviews sound great except for that, but it seems like most of the reviewers have experience with longer, skinnier kayaks. Price and size seem spot on for what I am looking for.

glhs837

Power with Control
I could, but I dont know how accurate a judge I am. My Navy career heavily utilized my upper body muscles, so I'm not sure how my upper body strength/endurance matches up to other folks:)

Longest paddle Ive done is about an hour and a half, and that been fine, but it is good work to keep it moving along. I hope to up the length of my trips some this summer.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
So here's what I ended up with from Beacon in Waldorf. Picking it up Friday.

Synergy 12 by Mad River.

Attachments

• mr_synergy_12_top_hi_res.jpg
    mr_synergy_12_top_hi_res.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

JollyRoger

Thanks, now I have to figure how to get in & out without flipping it. :lmao:

I think you should go back to the 28 footer if your still doing it for puss..I remember you used to joke about sail boat owners, now your paddling for puss. :killingme

Someday you may just need your mind.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I think I should go back to MD, be a man and face the music.

Nahhhhhh....I can't do that!
See Tommy, I still have my mind unlike you who only has a pickled liver and warrants. Since I'm not a wanted felon with a minimum wage job testing lamps, I have a real job and can afford anything I want.

Now go pour yourself another one and pass out before you hurt yourself.

Last edited:

JollyRoger

Oh and you sure do obcess over me to the extreme. I must have really F'd your head up! :killingme

Want me to PM you Lynn's address and phone number??
Why would I need you to PM me my sisters address and phone number? I already know them. Impress me and PM me my address and phone #.

spinner

sigh

That's what the little waterproof hatch is for, you wallet and cell phone. Did you have the kayak facing away from the ramp or toward it? I found it's easier to get in with the kayak facing the ramp and then back out into the water. Once you do it a couple of times you'll be fine. Practice practice practice

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
That's what the little waterproof hatch is for, you wallet and cell phone. Did you have the kayak facing away from the ramp or toward it? I found it's easier to get in with the kayak facing the ramp and then back out into the water. Once you do it a couple of times you'll be fine. Practice practice practice
I did it backwards from what you describe. I'll try your way tomorrow. The wind was blowing up a good chop too. I paddled around though. Going to take some getting used to. I think on calm waters it will be fun.

spinner

I don't know if it's right or wrong, that just the way it works best for me. Where did you go? Be careful on some of the concrete ramps, they can get really slick with algae,. I had a bad fall at the Forest Landing ramp last year, lost my footing and landed right on my back in front of some construction workers. Then had to listen to "are you alright ma'am?" I don't know what was worse, falling or being called ma'am. It is fun, though, being out on the water. In the summer I try to go a couple times a week.