Kayaking In So Md Anyone

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
I didn't flip it. Getting in it at the ramp I learned how unstable they are. My company cell is now water logged... :lmao:
I carry a plastic zip lock baggie for all my valuables. When you put everything in it, make sure to leave some air. If you turn over for some reason your valuables will float. :yay:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I carry a plastic zip lock baggie for all my valuables. When you put everything in it, make sure to leave some air. If you turn over for some reason your valuables will float. :yay:
Excellent idea that I knew of but was in too much of a hurry to get in the water to follow through with. :lol:

The water wasn't really cold and if it had been calmer, I would have paddled a lot longer. :yay:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I don't know if it's right or wrong, that just the way it works best for me. Where did you go? Be careful on some of the concrete ramps, they can get really slick with algae,. I had a bad fall at the Forest Landing ramp last year, lost my footing and landed right on my back in front of some construction workers. Then had to listen to "are you alright ma'am?" I don't know what was worse, falling or being called ma'am. It is fun, though, being out on the water. In the summer I try to go a couple times a week.
I was on the Wicomoco River. Heading up to Quiet Waters Park near Annapolis today if it doesn't downpour. I see St. Marys Lake in my near future.

Is there a way to get back in if you do flip in deep water? Mine is a sit on top.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
What are the benefits of "sit on top"? It seems like they would have a higher center of gravity? I am looking for something that I can go tour the bay in.

My neighbor has a Perception touring kayak he's looking to get rid of. He has a lot medical issues so he can't get out anymore. I know it's a single person (sit in), at least 16 feet long and has 2 dry strorage compartments. There's a couple of paddles as well. If anyone might be interested, send me a pm and I'll give you his contact info. The kayak is located in Lusby off a Coster road. You could even give it a test run if you wanted. It might not be good for a beginner but the price could be less then a biginners package.

glhs837

Power with Control
I was on the Wicomoco River. Heading up to Quiet Waters Park near Annapolis today if it doesn't downpour. I see St. Marys Lake in my near future.

Is there a way to get back in if you do flip in deep water? Mine is a sit on top.

Yep, google "kayak self rescue", should be some vids of the techniques and tools, most notably a "paddle float". Sorry about your spill. Hard to figure where you went wrong without seeing it. My guess was that you had the yak fully in the water when mounting up. Me, I leave a it little back and push myself out.

Getting In and Out of Your Kayak | Sierra Trading Post

YouTube - Kayaking & Canoeing for Beginners : Tips on Getting in a Kayak in Water

See if those help for getting in.

spinner

I haven't fallen out of mine yet. We were at Marshall Hall a couple of weekends ago and the wake from a boat came over the side of my kayak. I wasn't far off the shore so I wasn't too worried, but I should have been going into the wake and not let it hit me on the side. Live and learn.
You going kayaking tomorrow? We'll be out at St, Mary's lake.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I haven't fallen out of mine yet. We were at Marshall Hall a couple of weekends ago and the wake from a boat came over the side of my kayak. I wasn't far off the shore so I wasn't too worried, but I should have been going into the wake and not let it hit me on the side. Live and learn.
You going kayaking tomorrow? We'll be out at St, Mary's lake.

I was launching at a ramp... I climbed in and the hull tipped enuff to let a lil water in. When I was at Quiet Waters, I climbed in & out with no problem. I'm going to give the unit I bought a chance this summer but see me going to a sit in later.